PDA

View Full Version : Too Bad Larry Craig Doesn't Read the Constitution

Rick Williams
09-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Article I. Section 6: The Senators and Representatives. . . shall in all cases, except treason, felony, and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same." He was on his way back to Idaho from an evening vote in the Senate. Of course, Mitt Romney, the MSM, and th Republican Senate leadership also failed to notice this provision in their rush to judgment.

catwoman
09-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I think very few people actually know what is in the constitution and/or read it. That seems to be especially prevalent amongst our elected officials.

axiomata
09-05-2007, 11:31 AM
nice find

FSP-Rebel
09-05-2007, 11:43 AM
The senator should be treated just like anyone else. And, I don't really feel bad for a hypocrite to get caught up in this non-violent 'crime'. But, like any politician, you gotta watch your back. I mean, it's not like everyday you find a millionaire trying to get frisky at a public restroom.

Hurricane Bruiser
09-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Well he should not been arrested on Constitutional grounds. Personally I think they should be held to the same standard as any other person. I still fail to see how playing footsies should be grounds for any arrest. That is his business and I'm not sure why the GOP is jumping all over him.

LibertyEagle
09-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Can we just attempt to put articles where they belong? If it's not a Ron Paul-related news piece, isn't it supposed to go in General Politics and Other?

kylebrotherton
09-05-2007, 01:20 PM
This may be the one time when a Senator not knowing the Constitution actually HELPED make America better.

r3volution
09-05-2007, 01:26 PM

cjhowe
09-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Article I. Section 6: The Senators and Representatives. . . shall in all cases, except treason, felony, and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same." He was on his way back to Idaho from an evening vote in the Senate. Of course, Mitt Romney, the MSM, and th Republican Senate leadership also failed to notice this provision in their rush to judgment.

If you can waive your rights under the Fifth and Sixth amendment, Craig is certainly allowed to waive his rights under Article 1, Section 6. Unfortunately no one is guaranteed any rights in the court of public opinion.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Where can I find the Constitution? So that I can read it online. The Constitution is the supreme law of the land, that's what people keep forgetting.

Rick Williams
09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
ind the Constitution? Nowhere on Capital Hill-- except in Ron Paul's office. So maybe we'll see a rush of phone calls to Rachel and Ron's staff looking to borrow a copy.

John of Des Moines
09-05-2007, 01:59 PM

Reading the provision only protects travel to the session and from the session. Think back when it was drafted, members of congress did not travel home on weekends (okay, there might have been somebody living close to the Capital who would go home for a weekend). It also protects at the session. So the provision protects the Members of Congress traveling to the opening day of Congressional session and traveling home after Congress adjourns for good (and not simply in recess). I think this is the provision that Congressman from Louisiana who was caught with $100 in his freezer was using. The court said the FBI was wrong in searching his Congressional office but not his DC home freezer.
Also, IIRC, the main reason for this provision was to keep Congressmen from being arrested by bill collectors - remember debtor prisons.

And finally, under Senate rules Craig would be required to report using the privilege to the Senate. He did show his Senate ID or business card to a sworn officer of the law and could have exercised the privilege then but after he reported it his use would have been noted in a very public Congressional Record. He ain't stupid - he thought he could intimidated the cop with his business card and when that didn't work he thought he'd fly under the radar.

fj45lvr
09-05-2007, 02:00 PM
somehow if I were the one getting starred at while on the throne and then recieving an unwelcome swipe of the hand and foot of the obvious pervert I would conclude that was "the breach of the peace"!! For sure there wouldn't be any peace on the throne...

dseisner
09-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Where can I find the Constitution? So that I can read it online. The Constitution is the supreme law of the land, that's what people keep forgetting.

Uh, do a google search for US constitution...

JosephTheLibertarian
09-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Uh, do a google search for US constitution...

Where does one get a constitution booklet?