PDA

View Full Version : Conley tries to pull off major upset - News from: The Post and Courier

Razmear
09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/sep/22/conley_tries_pull_off_major_upset55346/

Conley tries to pull off major upset

Democrat says he takes Jeffersonian approach
By Robert Behre (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Monday, September 22, 2008

Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Bob Conley doesn't argue when someone suggests he has more in common politically with former Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul than with his own party's leaders.
Bob Conley

The Post and Courier

Bob Conley

Conley's populist, America-first rhetoric is also similar to another politician from Horry County: former Myrtle Beach Mayor Mark McBride, who announced his own plans to run for the Senate but didn't get on the ballot.

Conley previously ran unsuccessfully as a Republican for an Indiana state House seat and supports Republican positions on abortion and same-sex marriage. He also said he wants to secure the United States-Mexico border and deny amnesty to those who are in this country without proper permission.

And he supports the Fair Tax, a sweeping plan to replace all federal taxes with a national sales tax.

Conley also said he wants to push for energy independence and supports offshore drilling, an issue that has received support from his Republican opponent, incumbent Lindsey Graham.

"If the people of South Carolina want to drill offshore, the federal government shouldn't stand in the way of that," Conley said.

But he couldn't be more different from Graham when it comes to foreign policy. Like Paul, Conley supports removing all U.S. troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We continue to call for a redeployment and an end to these crazy occupations and this empire which is really bleeding America dry," he said.

Conley, a pilot and flight instructor whose 1960s-era crew cut has earned him the moniker "Flat Top Bob," said he is proud that his campaign cannot easily be pigeon-holed.

"I think we're putting together a really interesting and diverse coalition, and it really is a return to Jeffersonian principles," he said. "We're going to talk to people of every stripe and background: Democrats Republicans, Libertarians, vegetarians."

Conley has raised less than 1 percent of that money that his Republican opponent has raised. Most of that money has been spent on gas as Conley estimates he and his driver have logged about 15,000 miles since July, enough miles to crisscross the state 60 times.

He said he would love to debate Graham in person, but the only debate on tap is one that SCETV has scheduled for Oct. 29. "He's ashamed to come down here and face the people," Conley said of his opponent.

"Once we get outside urban areas in South Carolina, our message resonates very well with the rank and file," he said. "It's only what you would call the establishment or the elitists who have been taking issues with us."

Conley was almost as quick to condemn South Carolina Democratic Party Chairwoman Carol Fowler for her recent comment that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's primary qualification for the vice presidency was "seems to be that she hasn't had an abortion ..."

This kind of behavior hasn't endeared him to the party's rank and file. Conley's Democratic primary opponent, Mount Pleasant lawyer Michael Cone, said he won't vote for Conley on Nov. 4.

"He wouldn't know the first thing about connecting with Democrats, having never been a Democrat," Cone said. "All of his ideas about liberals have been fed to him by radio talk show hosts."

But Conley is confident of his chances on Nov. 4.

"We're still going to knock this boy out," he said.

SideBar:

BOB CONLEY

PARTY: Democrat.

BIRTHDATE: Sept. 6, 1965.

FAMILY: Single.

EDUCATION: B.S. in civil and mechanical engineering from Tri-State University, attended graduate school at University of Toledo.

OCCUPATION: Professional engineer, pilot and flight instructor.

PREVIOUS ELECTED OFFICE: None.

SOMETHING PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT ME: "That they have a constitutionalist as an alternative to Lindsey Olin Graham. I am a true Jeffersonian Democrat."

NAME A SPECIFIC GOAL: "The specific goal is to win the U.S. Senate."

Flash
09-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm convinced he just needs more money to pull this off.

Razmear
09-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Me too, and seeing how I don't have any more to give at the moment, I'll have to resort to harassing everyone else into donating :D

Hopefully if sales go good at the flea market Wednesday I can chip in a bit more.

eb

RSLudlum
09-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm convinced he just needs more money to pull this off.

not if his name can get alot more press time!! Many (at least here in the lowcountry) are downright tired of Graham's liberal positions. Many republicans I know, that didn't vote for RP, are seriously considering voting for Conley due to Grahamnesty's stance on illegal immigration and his statements about people being bigots if they are against amnesty.

Kotin
09-22-2008, 07:48 PM
I love Bob Conley..

and I will support him as if he were my own Senator.

itshappening
09-22-2008, 07:58 PM
he needs some serious money to get the word out, he could beat Graham. I hope the DNC support him

call the DNC and tell them to support him with their millions :(

MsDoodahs
09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Has he said anything about the bailouts?

Has Graham done any votes on the stuff that has already been okayed?

If Graham is going for bailing out Wallstreet over taking care of Mainstreet, Conley needs to capitalize on it ASAP.

Highland
09-22-2008, 08:48 PM
bump...will donate tomorrow!

mitty
09-22-2008, 08:55 PM
bob conley hell yeah. he needs our support