PDA

View Full Version : How isn't Obama's/Dodd's compulsory national service plan against the 13th Amendment?

socialize_me
09-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I mean Obama wants to force people to work at some level of government to be "patriotic". How would this pass, why wouldn't it violate the 13th amendment, and could someone please explain to me how the draft is constitutional?? I mean the Supreme Court's interpretation of the commerce clause has been so loosely interpreted that they've fined small time farmers for growing ~200 bushels of wheat extra for their own private use (that violates interstate commerce apparently), but I mean isn't it clearly stated in the 13th amendment that no involuntary servitude is in plain English??

BarryDonegan
09-22-2008, 03:27 PM
being in violation of a constitutional amendment is only concrete and tangible when we remind them that they will lose their job if they don't voted based on that document.

socialize_me
09-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Well yeah, but I mean how could the Supreme Court let that stand?? What exactly happens when the President/Congress pass laws to violate the Constitution?? I mean, if the Constitution is the supreme law of the land and you try to undermine it, shouldn't that be treasonous or a felony?? Instead it takes half a decade (or longer) to reach the Supreme Court for an oligarchy of 9 people to decide what they think the Constitution meant to say?? Why isn't that criminal??? What, the Constitution can be violated, but if I jaywalk I get ticketed?

zach
09-22-2008, 03:32 PM
It's patriotic just as much as paying taxes is being patriotic.

Lies FTL.