PDA

View Full Version : Hemp question.

TruthisTreason
09-22-2008, 12:36 PM
How many "barrels of oil" or the equivalent of oil does one acre of hemp produce? Anyone help me out on this. I heard a claim of 20, and wanted to find out about it.

Kade
09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
How many "barrels of oil" or the equivalent of oil does one acre of hemp produce? Anyone help me out on this. I heard a claim of 20, and wanted to find out about it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/Industrialhemp.jpg/800px-Industrialhemp.jpg

Kotin
09-22-2008, 12:46 PM
you can get 270 gallons of hemp ethanol per acre planted.

The use of cannabis for hemp products goes back thousands of years. Today, hemp can be used in thousands of commercial products. The hemp tops and seeds can go to food, and the stalks can go for fuel, fiber and building materials, so it is like growing two crops in one field.

Hemp fibers have many uses in the manufacture of such things as garments, paper, rope, packing materials and thousands of other commercial products. Hemp seeds are a significant food source, since they are highly nutritious and contain beneficial omega fatty acids, amino acids and minerals.

The oil from the hemp seed has additional uses as soaps, moisturizing agents, and paint, for example. Hemp is one of the earth’s fastest-growing plants, it requires little or no fertilizer or pesticides, and it replenishes the soil with nutrients and nitrogen. Hemp actually refreshes the soil, so putting it into rotation with other crops will heal – not deplete – the soil.

Because it is so fast-growing, hemp produces more energy per acre for biodiesel or ethanol fuel than corn, sugar, flax or any other food crop. Hemp produces upt to 10 times more ethanol per acre than corn, and up to 20 times more biodiesel per acre than corn. Furthermore, it does so at a lower cost and with less damage to the soil. If the USA were to sow just 10 per cent of its current farmland as hemp, for example, it would not need to buy any foreign petroleum. Corn could never accomplish that, even if planted on 100% of the total farmland in the nation.

Hemp fuel burns clean, which would lower air pollution and reduce health and environmental issues. Hemp can grow on damaged, exhausted or marginal soil, so we don’t need to use prime farmland but instead can reclaim thousands of acres of unused and abandoned land for hemp.

Kade
09-22-2008, 12:47 PM
That said, Hemp is somewhere between 3.8-3.9 tons an acre, producing roughly one and half tons of biomass, or about 12 barrels of oil per acre.

TruthisTreason
09-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Any links. I've got some asshole on another forum attacking me about this.

Kade
09-22-2008, 12:49 PM
you can get 270 gallons of hemp ethanol per acre planted.

Much more conservative answer... that's about 7 boe...

Kade
09-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Any links. I've got some asshole on another forum attacking me about this.

I did the math myself, all you need is the mass of a ton of hemp per acre, which is 4 tons roughly...

Don't ask how I know this..

Kotin
09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
I did the math myself, all you need is the mass of a ton of hemp per acre, which is 4 tons roughly...

Don't ask how I know this..

sounds correct to me..

Kade
09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Sorry, I meant the total biomass of the acreage..

This site (http://www.zetatalk.com/shelter/tshlx029.htm)has this listed:

Tons of Fiber per Acre:
Pine (30 year growth cycle) 3 tons per acre
Kenaf 6 tons per acre
Hemp 12 tons per acre
Cotton 0.3 tons per acre
Flax 1.3 tons per acre

roughly 35% to 40% of total tonnage is used biomass fuel..

So my estimate would still be correct.

dannno
09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
That said, Hemp is somewhere between 3.8-3.9 tons an acre, producing roughly one and half tons of biomass, or about 12 barrels of oil per acre.

Do you happen to know if the leftover unused portion of the hemp can be used for paper or clothing after the oil is taken out?

Right now people don't buy hemp clothes because they are expensive, but that is because there is a huge premium on hemp due to it's legal status (even in Canada the market is limited and highly regulated)

So if we used hemp as biomass, then the leftover could be used for clothing and we could replace a lot of our cotton crops with hemp. Hemp is a better crop to grow than cotton because it improves the soil for certain types of vegetables to be rotated in later, and it doesn't need the chemical fertilizers and pesticides like cotton does.

Kade
09-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Alright let me clean this math up for you.

12 tons per acre total mass.

35% of total mass for biomass=4.2 tons.

Kotin
09-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Do you happen to know if the leftover unused portion of the hemp can be used for paper or clothing after the oil is taken out?

Right now people don't buy hemp clothes because they are expensive, but that is because there is a huge premium on hemp due to it's legal status (even in Canada the market is limited and highly regulated)

what I would do with the remnants is burn them to run whatever is making the ethanol.. thats what the Brazilians do with the sugar cane leftovers..

but I'd imagine its possible to do that as well..

Kade
09-22-2008, 01:00 PM

Yes it can be. During the making of Sassafras tea back in the day, people would toss the safrole out. (the gold--lol)

Same here. The fiber can certainly be used for clothing and rope and paper... in fact, the oil is tossed in many industries that use hemp.

Kotin
09-22-2008, 01:02 PM
from what I can tell.. the only thing not yet usable on the Hemp plant is its root.. and thats only for now..

Kade
09-22-2008, 01:03 PM
from what I can tell.. the only thing not yet usable on the Hemp plant is its root.. and thats only for now..

That is used for therapeutic aromas and moisturizing creams.

Kotin
09-22-2008, 01:05 PM
That is used for therapeutic aromas and moisturizing creams.

very nice! :D

Bruno
09-22-2008, 01:06 PM

So if we used hemp as biomass, then the leftover could be used for clothing and we could replace a lot of our cotton crops with hemp. Hemp is a better crop to grow than cotton because it improves the soil for certain types of vegetables to be rotated in later, and it doesn't need the chemical fertilizers and pesticides like cotton does.

illegal but grows wild all over iowa
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=155436&highlight=hemp&page=3

dannno
09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
illegal but grows wild all over iowa
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=155436&highlight=hemp&page=3

Yup, can't be processed though... what a waste.

Bruno
09-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Yup, can't be processed though... what a waste.

so true. too bad you couldn't get a permit to do so