PDA

View Full Version : Today's assignment: Call the Obama Campaign

Spider-Man
09-22-2008, 12:22 PM
This directive again comes from the Barr campaign, but I have modified the instructions to reflect our broader coalition:

"...

Today, if Bob Barr or any minority party candidate is going to be included in the debates, it will be because John McCain or Barack Obama demanded it.

We have to target one campaign to include Bob in the debates and if any candidate understands disenfranchisement and minority rights, it should be Barack Obama.

After all, it was Barack Obama who said that those who participated in the civil rights movement "didn't brave fire hoses and Billy clubs so that their grandchildren and their great-grandchildren would still wonder at the beginning of the 21st century whether their vote would be counted; whether their civil rights would be protected by their government; whether justice would be equal and opportunity would be theirs . . . We have more work to do."

Senator Obama must understand that equal opportunity applies to elections as well.

To make this task even more effective, we're going to do something special. We are coordinating with Ralph Nader's campaign and they're going to be doing this today as well.

Here's today's task: Call the Obama Campaign!

We need to give Barack Obama and his campaign managers a reason to include us in the debates.

So here's the task:

1. To get in the right frame of mind. Think happy thoughts: puppies, flowers, dancing leprechauns and lower taxes.

2. Pick up the phone and call 866-675-2008.

3. Hit 6 to speak with a campaign volunteer.

4. Once connected, politely deliver the following message or something similar:

'Hi my name is __________ and I'm calling to request that Senator Obama invite minority party candidates Bob Barr/Ralph Nader/Chuck Baldwin/Cynthia McKinney (any combination thereof, preferably one or two) to participate in the upcoming presidential debates. Could you please leave this message with your campaign manager, David Plouffe? '

..."

Spidey's Notes: When you get through, you will probably get someone who's already taken this message before. (I did.) If asked, just politely explain to them that there is a coordinated effort to get the word out.

Also, Plouffe is pronounced "Pluff"

itshappening
09-22-2008, 12:33 PM
bump

roshie
09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
They just told me to call the Commission on Presidential Debates instead since they're the ones in charge but she'll forward the message to Obama anyway.

Spider-Man
09-22-2008, 12:44 PM
By all means, call the Commission on Presidential Debates as well. We've been doing that for the last few days, and there is a thread floating around here somewhere about it...

Here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=156580

LittleLightShining
09-22-2008, 12:50 PM
I love calling people. I just spoke with Brian. I paraphrased the schpiel above and he said that the debates are planned before the conventions so there's no way of getting others in now. So I went on to explain that Sen. Obama is a proponent of civil rights (ouch, that realllllly hurt) and that being an undecided voter it would go a long way in my book if I knew that he really was willing to stand up for the underdog and give them a chance to be heard. I then said that if Sen. Obama made an effort to get the others into the debates there is a possibility that it could happen.

Brian took my information and said he would make sure my message got to the campaign manager :)

Not like it will happen, though...

kahless
09-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Why would the Obama campaign help third parties get into the debates? If you are going to make a call to the Obama campaign it should be issued based such as telling them you are against the bailouts. If it was not an election year I doubt Bush would have been so quick to offer them.

Spider-Man
09-22-2008, 12:52 PM
At least they'll know we're not going to take this shit lying down.