PDA

View Full Version : Are low GOP turnouts making the straw polls insignificant?

Starks
09-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Just wondering.

LibertyEagle
09-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Starks,

I hope you plan on voting in the Republican primary.

Starks
09-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Starks,

I hope you plan on voting in the Republican primary.

I will. If I can avoid the shame of registering as a Republican.

Original_Intent
09-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Register Republican if need be.

Take a nice shower afterwards.

No one will ever know. :)

And to answer your question I don't think it makes them insignificant. I think it makes them a more accurate reflection of how we would do in a primary than the scientific polls.

Starks
09-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Register Republican if need be.

Take a nice shower afterwards.

No one will ever know. :)

I'll still feel quite dirty. Registering Republican, regardless of whether it is to a certain end, is a hard stain to remove.

fj45lvr
09-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Not insignificant for many reasons but DEFINETLY not representative of how the populous will vote (which IMHO means Paul will get a lower percentage during the actual primary).

blazin_it_alwyz
09-05-2007, 09:36 AM
I happen to think that low turnout for the Republicans gives Ron Paul a much better chance. Because you have to think, exactly who is leaving the Republican party. I don't think anyone is leaving the Ron Paul camp, do you? More people are coming to his camp, and anyone that is leaving the Republican party, are usually supporters of your Giuliani's, Romney's, etc.

I figure it like this.

Once we win primaries, it's over.

The only reason Ron Paul isn't known more, is because of media blackout. If Ron Paul wins the primaries, these news stations can't shush him anymore, it's impossible. Once you have someone like Ron Paul, having a STRAIGHT UP DEBATE with anyone else, Ron Paul is going to win hands down. If you have a true debate, Ron Paul is going to make anyone in the democrat party look stupid.

Sematary
09-05-2007, 09:37 AM
I'll still feel quite dirty. Registering Republican, regardless of whether it is to a certain end, is a hard stain to remove.

I sucked it up. I'm sure you can too. I'll change back to independent right after the primary. :-)

klamath
09-05-2007, 09:41 AM
RP voters will vote no matter what but the other voters may or may not vote for their candidates. When they figure likely voters in the polls they judge that by their past voting record. Well there is so much apathy in republican voters that long time past voters will not be voting. I myself would not be voting this year if it wasn't for RP. I have voted in every election since 1980 except for one other. The funny part about the one other election is that it was a special election for school board member. The girl I wanted to win I thought would so I didn't vote. She lost by one vote! She is now my wife and she does hold that over me.:)

Original_Intent
09-05-2007, 09:42 AM
RP voters will vote no matter what but the other voters may or may not vote for their candidates. When they figure likely voters in the polls they judge that by their past voting record. Well there is so much apathy in republican voters that long time past voters will not be voting. I myself would not be voting this year if it wasn't for RP. I have voted in every election since 1980 except for one other. The funny part about the one other election is that it was a special election for school board member. The girl I wanted to win I thought would so I didn't vote. She lost by one vote! She is now my wife and she does hold that over me.:)

That is kinda funny, kinda sad!

Rick Williams
09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
The low turnouts reflect clearly how much the Republican Party has fallen. And that's why the Ron Paul opportunity is so great. True Republicans are as sick of the war/banker culture as the rest of the American people.

njandrewg
09-05-2007, 10:33 AM
yeah agreed the low turn outs are very significant, because they show just how bad the GOP has gotten.

Take Iowa, less than half expected people voted
Take Texas, first they expected 10,000, then they cut the estimation to 3,000 when everyone dropped out, and in the end STILL only 1300 voted.

Probably I would say only 5% of people will vote in the primaries