PDA

View Full Version : Surviving in an Economic Collapse

Dequeant
09-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I've never been through one so I'll spare you my armchair quarterbacking.

Hello,

I thought I might post this info for your reading enjoyment. It is a series of articles and Q/A sessions from a poster named "FerFal".

He was a student in Argentina during their economic collapse. He has some very good insights into what life is like during a catastrophe. Particularly an economic catastrophe.

http://members.cox.net/theprof/UrbanSurvival/Thoughts%20On%20Urban%20Survival.htm

bunklocoempire
09-22-2008, 02:14 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Bunkloco

Pericles
09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
That was a fantastic read in order to learn from his experience.

Personally, I got the following points that taught me something -

1. Most hostile encounters were at close range, so I'm doubling my stash of pistol ammunition. If you are a 9mm fan, forget M882 ball and go with hollow point.

2. Just being rural was no protection via passive security measures. Single family compounds were attacked by bands of "land pirates", so it takes a group effort to survive - build a compound of like minded friends.

3. The food stash has to include a balanced diet for key vitamins, and will probably need to be supplemented via selective shopping.

4. The overall level of public health will deteriorate rapidly. Diseases will spread - I never did like crowds anyway.

Points that I think would be modified based on our culture vis a vis Argentina.

1. Looting and violence are more likely to take with an ethnic dimension. Look at the 1992 LA riot and other outbreaks of violence. It starts with looting, destruction, attacking those of a different ethnicity, the police initially give up trying to maintain control, get support, then try to move in to restore order. When it goes nationwide, there is nowhere for the police to get additional support.

2. Argentina had inflation, and with the higher rate of entitlement payments in the US, there will either be hyperinflation, or the government will stop making payments to non employees - this will escalate the situation.

3. The government will "write off" certain areas as uncontrollable. Those areas will be either "law of the jungle" or citizen patrolled and stable when not under attack.

rwbris18
09-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I've got a website which might provide some information about DISASTER SURVIVAL. Tell me what you think.

http://briscoefamily.com/emergency/survival.php

agentl074
09-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I should go to my local American Legion posts and see if we have any ideas.

Pericles
09-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I've got a website which might provide some information about DISASTER SURVIVAL. Tell me what you think.

http://briscoefamily.com/emergency/survival.php

I thought it is damn good. Just a couple of additional considerations.

1. Firearms - hunters have their favorites, but a longer term survival necessity may not be the place for your .300 Weatherby Magnum. Widely available ammunition types (.45 ACP, 9mm, .22 LR, 5.56 NATO, 7.62 x 39, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06) will have a longer supply period. A exotic tidbit - 5.6mm Swiss is interchangable with 5.56 NATO.

2. Mob Psychology - mobs are a herd and there are one or more leaders - if you can identify and eliminate those individuals, the rest get confused and can be aimless until new leaders emerge. This is your escape opportunity.

3. Useful training - some hobbies (say Civil War reenacting) are an opportunity to live for a few days without modern infrastructure, building fires, cooking, constructing shelter....

Decide where you want to live. Personally, I'm in the process of turning my city condo into what I would term a combat outpost - everything is short term disposable, while moving the good stuff to the bug out (retirement) location where I really want to live.

If you are in an apartment type complex, live on the highest level. The building might withstand flooding, not reaching your level, and the more stairs people have to traverse, the fewer "visitors" one will have.