PDA

View Full Version : Did the government over react - or was this my fault?

TruckinMike
09-20-2008, 07:25 PM
The names have been changed to protect the innocent...

I had a rough day in my 4th day of hurricane, land and old building cleanup.

I was cleaning my mothers property - rented a $600/day articulating loader, built a big burn pile (that was in control and safe), barney fife arrived w/ radio in hand, and here is the rest of the story...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/2874207164_3397e7a790.jpg

Are four firetrucks to many for my burn pile? Well apparently not, they did suffice and the fire was put out - Down to each and every last smoldering bit. To be fair they did have to fill their water truck twice.

When barney arrived he was enraged with a hate so fierce that looks alone could kill. (he saw a tire next to the fire, not in the fire) It turned out that he was carrying a portable radio -- which he promptly called the fire department into action. (even though I had a 225 gallon water tank and pump on my truck) Yes, he alone was the hero, he was the man that saved the day -- and in his mind -- the world from burning. My burn pile would meet its demise.:(

Good news.. the County fire marshal turned out to be a wonderfully understanding gentleman... in fact if he had seen the fire in its infancy its doubtful that he would have said much of anything to me at all. But he did give me a list of things that I could and could not burn.:o Ooops. Thank God -- there was No Gigantic fine or citation. I thought I was going to have to let the county have my first born! Also, one of the patrolman blocking the street commented that Barney over reacted. He had to pee real bad and was PO'ed at the situation because he was stuck there in the street holding it. -- and thats right about when the fire unit from the neighboring community showed up, "oh NOOoo,@#$!! how much longer"... he thought:D)

Funny thing, even the firemen had a discussion about just letting it burn out... But they were there - so what the heck they put it out. To bad, now I have a big mess to clean up.

Looking at the picture...
Notice the smoke coming from the fire in the ditch on the left, there was another just like it 150 feet from my burn pile. Smaller yes, but no more out of control than mine. Note: the county has literally hundreds of burn piles going (hurricane cleanup), but mine is the one they wanted. Bummer.

And thank you volunteer fireman (and City fireman) for taking the time to deal with this fiasco.

One more thing, even Barney said to me that he over reacted (I think he's Irish) and didn't give me a citation. So thank you Barney wherever you are, I really do appreciate your self introspection. And don't feel bad, I lose it once in a while to.

TMike

angelatc
09-20-2008, 07:31 PM
They're all a bunch of dummies. It's not you.

Deborah K
09-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Amazing how you can't do anything anymore, even on your own property, without the government up your butt. If it were 1908 instead of 2008, you would have been fine.

TER
09-20-2008, 08:04 PM
The problems with fires is that sometimes they spread.

TruckinMike
09-20-2008, 08:35 PM
The problems with fires is that sometimes they spread.

True, but we just had a hurricane. Everything has not even dried out yet. And if you'll notice in the picture you can see the there is NO brush or grass... I leveled it all off all the way around the burn pile (the entire area has been leveled off) with the loader. In fact the edges of the burn pile had heaps of sod all the way around the fire - it was the top layer soil that came with the branches etc..You can see the loader in the top left pic. Believe me. This was a safe burn pile. All the fuss started because the patrolman saw a big fire and a tire... He refused to look at where I had been piling the junk tires and other plastics etc. --- He just hopped on the radio and began to call in the troops.

Also... how many other burn piles in the area had a 5 horse water pump with 225 gallons of water for safety(and mobile)... my fire was safer than a fourth of July fireworks show! By far! Safety was not an issue. This was a controlled burn.

I broke the rules, I made my fire bigger than everyone elses.

TMike

PS- no one called in to the police station or fire department. there were NO complaints.

Deborah K
09-20-2008, 08:36 PM
ps- no one called in to the police station or fire department. There were no complaints. It was the barny drive-by that started the whole mess.

lmao!!!

TER
09-20-2008, 08:41 PM
True, but we just had a hurricane. Everything has not even dried out yet. And if you'll notice in the picture you can see the there is NO brush or grass... I leveled it all off all the way around the burn pile (the entire area has been leveled off) with the loader. In fact the edges of the burn pile had heaps of sod all the way around the fire - it was the top layer soil that came with the branches etc..You can see the loader in the top left pic. Believe me. This was a safe burn pile. All the fuss started because the patrolman saw a big fire and a tire... He refused to look at where I had been piling the junk tires and other plastics etc. --- He just hopped on the radio and began to call in the troops.

Also... how many other burn piles in the area had a 5 horse water pump with 225 gallons of water for safety(and mobile)... my fire was safer than a fourth of July fireworks show! By far! Safety was not an issue. This was a controlled burn.

I broke the rules, I made my fire bigger than everyone elses.

TMike

PS- no one called in to the police station or fire department. there were NO complaints. It was the Barny drive-by that started the whole mess.

I see your position. Unfortunately, for liability reasons, I think the fire department had to stop it. Public safety takes precedence in these situations, even if the risk is small.

I also understand your beef with barney fife...

kojirodensetsu
09-20-2008, 08:49 PM
If you lived by me they would probably take your first born. I live near seattle. The city is so liberal they even have a fine on bags.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending/archive/2008/07/30/paper-or-plastic-in-seattle-we-ll-pay-for-either-one.aspx

TruckinMike
09-20-2008, 08:57 PM
I see your position. Unfortunately, for liability reasons, I think the fire department had to stop it. Public safety takes precedence in these situations, even if the risk is small.

I also understand your beef with barney fife...

Truckinmike --- Looking at the picture...
Notice the smoke coming from the fire in the ditch on the left, there was another just like it 150 feet from my burn pile. Smaller yes, but no more out of control than mine. Note: the county has literally hundreds of burn piles going (hurricane cleanup), but mine is the one they wanted.

TMike

klamath
09-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey mike you don't have it bad. We just went through the summer from hell. The USFS spent the summer back burning About 200,000 acres of timber to "Control" a few thousand acres of lightning fires. The smoke was so bad so long the gardens failed because of lack of sun. It will be 150 years before the forests recover and only then if they don't continue to burn the rest of it.

TruckinMike
09-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey mike you don't have it bad. We just went through the summer from hell. The USFS spent the summer back burning About 200,000 acres of timber to "Control" a few thousand acres of lightning fires. The smoke was so bad so long the gardens failed because of lack of sun. It will be 150 years before the forests recover and only then if they don't continue to burn the rest of it.

Thanks, now I don't feel so guilty for my careless actions.:rolleyes:

TMike

klamath
09-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks, now I don't feel so guilty for my careless actions.:rolleyes:

TMike

Your fire would have gone nowhere. If you were like the USFS you would wait until it hadn't rained for three months then launched your helitorch!

satchelmcqueen
09-21-2008, 11:23 AM
they over reacted not you. i burn all the time. i say screw em. its your land and if you have water ready just in case...burn it.

i have learned though that it helps to call and get a burn permit number. that way if someone calls you in, they will look and see that its "OK" by the fire guys in charge.