PDA

View Full Version : Guess what happens when your internet provider goes bankrupt?

IHaveaDream
09-20-2008, 06:13 AM
So let's look at the pattern. The government decides that some companies are "too big to fail" and quietly nationalizes them by bailing them out. Then they call for committees to form tighter regulations of their business practices.

The smaller communications companies will eventually be absorbed by the larger communications companies as the market continues to crumble and the cost of doing buisness soars higher. Then, at some point, the largest communications companies will begin to implode. Of course, electronic communication is vital to market activity, and even national security. This argument will be used to force a reluctant public to allow a complete government takeover of all broadcast and internet mediums. Total control, total regulation.

american.swan
09-20-2008, 06:53 AM
I tend to agree. I'll start up a "freedom" forum here in S.Korea maybe "when" that happens. Keep it out of reach of the USA's grubby paws.

Truth Warrior
09-20-2008, 07:03 AM
That seems like a reasonable analysis of a possible future scenario to me. ;)

jonathans
09-20-2008, 07:10 AM
I would not put it past them.
Of course the sheep will be told that it is for their PROTECTION. As always.
And we are the crazy ones for not seeing the need for that protection.

IHaveaDream
09-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Can't you just see it all falling into place as we go along? Once the media has been nationalized, the government will make the case that it needs to consolidate resources and merge the competing networks into a singular conglomeration. Television and radio broadcasts will be virtually one voice.

Then there's the internet. Once the government is forced to assume ownership of the internet, it will obviously need to severely restrict politcial and religious discourse so as not to be accused of subsidizing any particular school of thought. Forums like this will not only be silenced, they'll be "unauthorized".

Just another conspiracy theory, right?