PDA

View Full Version : Obama's "absolutely ruthless" volunteers

Corydoras
09-05-2007, 12:07 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/540781,CST-NWS-camp04.article

james1906
09-05-2007, 12:26 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/540781,CST-NWS-camp04.article

ah, more pseudo-grass roots campaigning.

austinphish
09-05-2007, 03:33 AM
"These campers need to focus on people's self-interests. What do they want? How can Obama help them? "

Typical liberal ideology - what can the government do for YOU, and we will find an answer to that question so that we keep you voting for us perpetually.

Disgusting.

LizF
09-05-2007, 04:08 AM
"These campers need to focus on people's self-interests. What do they want? How can Obama help them? "

Typical liberal ideology - what can the government do for YOU, and we will find an answer to that question so that we keep you voting for us perpetually.

Disgusting.

That jumped out at me too. However, it is a very wise strategy, and we can (and should) use it too in regards to RP, as voters are motivated by their self-interests. For example:

--Most people want to pay less taxes and keep more of their money ==> RP wants to lessen govt spending and eliminate the IRS

--Most young men (and their parents) would hate to see a draft; would hate to risk life & limb for an unnecessary war ==> RP wants to end the war; bring the troops home as soon as possible

--Most folks value their privacy (though they may be "asleep" in regards to the increasing encroachment on this right by the government) ==> RP voted against (and wants to repeal) the Patriot Act; is against RealId

ETC.

The key is to tie in RP's positions with the self-interests of the voters. As RP supporters and canvassers, it's up to us to help potential/future supporters connect those dots.

Nefertiti
09-05-2007, 04:32 AM
Wasn't Saul Alinsky the guy Hillary wrote her BA thesis about?

The "clergy" is a group they have been hitting hard from the beginning. Before I became a Ron Paul supporter I went to a Obama volunteer training session here on the South Side at a community center. It wasn't Camp Obama, it was just a short thing. I walked in there 15 minutes early and thought I was in the wrong place. There was some guy up at the podium preaching about crossing the River Jordan etc. etc. Turned out it was another Obama meeting-they had invited a bunch of "clergy"-all black and all Christian. And a few were giving speeches firing up the rest of the clergy about Obama. The same atmosphere prevailed in our meeting afterward. I left very disappointed-I was expecting training and all we got was a pep rally with a lot of chants for Obama.