PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a good silver stash for WTSHTF?

foofighter20x
09-19-2008, 09:54 PM
I have 200 silver canadian maple leafs... Is that enough?

muh_roads
09-19-2008, 09:58 PM
It's better than most. Keep buying.

tmosley
09-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Depends what you want to do. If you want to survive for a few years, that's probably enough, even if you have to flee to another country (if you have a family, I would add an additional 100 oz for each one). If you want to prosper and buy up assets at firesale prices, you're going to want more than that. 500oz would be a good starting point, as that will probably buy a 4-5 nice rental properties at the market bottom. The more you can save up, the better.

Personally, I want to buy up enough land to build a nice self sufficient ranch that would support a large family for 3-4 generations without additional outside input, other than trade for luxuries. I figure I could probably swing it for about 2500oz all included. I've got a long way to go, though...

muh_roads
09-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Depends what you want to do. If you want to survive for a few years, that's probably enough, even if you have to flee to another country (if you have a family, I would add an additional 100 oz for each one). If you want to prosper and buy up assets at firesale prices, you're going to want more than that. 500oz would be a good starting point, as that will probably buy a 4-5 nice rental properties at the market bottom. The more you can save up, the better.

Personally, I want to buy up enough land to build a nice self sufficient ranch that would support a large family for 3-4 generations without additional outside input, other than trade for luxuries. I figure I could probably swing it for about 2500oz all included. I've got a long way to go, though...

What are you planning the price will be when the end game hits? $500/oz?

That's another question, what good is $100,000 when everything costs 25x-50x it's normal price today?

misericordia
09-19-2008, 10:13 PM
that's why you've got beans and rice :)

BeFranklin
09-19-2008, 10:20 PM
that's why you've got beans and rice :)

How can tell when rice goes bad? I have some rice that I'm wondering about. Also, if the container I stored it in was food grade plastic. Can rice pick up contamination from plastic containers?

nate895
09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
How can tell when rice goes bad? I have some rice that I'm wondering about. Also, if the container I stored it in was food grade plastic. Can rice pick up contamination from plastic containers?

It molds. If you are wondering about it, examine it closely and make sure there is no mold in it. As far as plastic containers go, I don't know.

Josh_LA
09-19-2008, 10:28 PM
There is no amount too small, you'll want to have more than enough.

Do your own math, how much would pay for food for a month, 3 months, a year.

Think the worst!

nate895
09-19-2008, 10:29 PM

That's another question, what good is $100,000 when everything costs 25x-50x it's normal price today?

If the dollar becomes worthless, gold and silver would become the default currency, and it would take the economy a month to several months (depending on the levels of privately held PMs, the lower the amount, the longer to adjust) to set good prices for goods in the new currency. In the meantime, everything will be really cheap in gold and silver, but I doubt anybody would be selling anything of any real value like a ranch or rental properties unless they were destitute.

idiom
09-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Why would you stash silver rounds unless you are hunting werewolves? you want armour piercing stuffs dude.

BeFranklin
09-19-2008, 11:39 PM
It molds. If you are wondering about it, examine it closely and make sure there is no mold in it. As far as plastic containers go, I don't know.

I think it picked up some odors from the plastic smell of the container. I washed it of 3-4 times, and it seems fine now. I'm cooking a small batch. Enough rice to last for awhile :

bander87
09-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Gold and silver stay relative to the things that you can buy with it.

So, 200 ounces x $20/ounce = $4000.

Depending on your living situation, I don't know how far $4000 would get you nowadays.

Archie
09-20-2008, 12:20 AM
In my honest opinion I don't see " WTSHTF" scenario anytime soon , but I do see these pm bull lasting for at the very least another 5 years for sure . If there is a " SHTF" scenario don't fool yourselfs organized crime along with low level mafiosos and gangs will go out into the city and Country to steal everything they can from people your 1000 oz of silver and 2 shotguns and 3 rifles won't do shit. Organized crime will sacrafice a few of there thugs to grab all they can in the event of pure anarchy. Like I said I wouldnt worry about this crazy scenario in the near future but for sure the pm bull looks pretty healthy for a good while to go.

muh_roads
09-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Gold and silver stay relative to the things that you can buy with it.

So, 200 ounces x $20/ounce = $4000.

Depending on your living situation, I don't know how far $4000 would get you nowadays.

It would only stay relative to the things around you during hyper-inflation if EVERYONE owned gold & silver...but they do not. So the very few that do own should come out ahead, at least I would think so.

fj45lvr
09-20-2008, 01:11 AM
It would only stay relative to the things around you during hyper-inflation if EVERYONE owned gold & silver...but they do not. So the very few that do own should come out ahead, at least I would think so.

Depending on where you live FOOD will be more valuable than precious metals....and having that could score wealth (if you aren't robbed of it)

nate895
09-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Depending on where you live FOOD will be more valuable than precious metals....and having that could score wealth (if you aren't robbed of it)

Not really, food will be less valuable since there is more of it and most likely people will be willing to share food with each other. Also, unless if it is the depths of winter, we will be a short way off from getting more food from the crop anyway. Food will be worth little unless if it is winter, and PM's will be worth anywhere from nothing for the long term, until they are recognized as currency, or they will be worth a lot until the economy is able to adjust to the low amount of PMs in the marketplace.

In my honest opinion I don't see " WTSHTF" scenario anytime soon , but I do see these pm bull lasting for at the very least another 5 years for sure . If there is a " SHTF" scenario don't fool yourselfs organized crime along with low level mafiosos and gangs will go out into the city and Country to steal everything they can from people your 1000 oz of silver and 2 shotguns and 3 rifles won't do shit. Organized crime will sacrafice a few of there thugs to grab all they can in the event of pure anarchy. Like I said I wouldnt worry about this crazy scenario in the near future but for sure the pm bull looks pretty healthy for a good while to go.

I am not sure when TSHTF, but it will unless we fix things, and I have a feeling it will be sooner rather than later. Any organized crime that would develop wouldn't head after individuals unless they knew how much PMs they had, and it outweighed that of the local banks. They will probably go after the local banks and the Federal Reserve before they'd head after private individuals. This is also a situation where it is good to have friends. My family and I have enough friends to get through this sort of mess.

tmosley
09-20-2008, 01:48 PM

Don't think in terms of worthless FRN's any more. Once hyperinflation hits, almost all of the nation's purchasing power will revert to those who either own means of production or those who have REAL money (gold and silver).

That said, look for the point when x amount of silver will buy x money making properties (whether it be rental properties, agricultural land, or factories). My price point is when I can buy five small residential homes (2-3 bedroom, 1 bath) in fairly good shape for 200 oz of silver (in current pricing that would be a little over $500). This might seem really low, but like I said, once hyperinflation sets in, there will be incredible deals to come by if you have the right currency.

Thrashertm
09-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I am planning on purchasing some 90% silver pre-1964 dimes and quarters off ebay. They are in small denominations, and should be more useful for purchasing things than a full ounce.