PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul’s Party

Bradley in DC
09-19-2008, 09:47 PM
http://www.amconmag.com/article/2008/sep/22/00019/

Ron Paul’s Party
By Daniel McCarthy

While twitchy cops and party hacks congregated in St. Paul for the Republican Convention, 12,000 Ron Paul supporters assembled for the Rally for the Republic in Minneapolis. The counter-convention featured a dozen speakers—from libertarian luminaries Bill Kauffman and Lew Rockwell to ex-governors Jesse Ventura and Gary Johnson—plus musical acts Sara Evans and Aimee Allen (the freedom movement’s answer to Avril Levigne, with more talent and less tolerance for the Bilderberg Group). Barry Goldwater Jr. introduced Paul’s keynote...

“The Republican Party ought to be welcoming me because I appeal to young people,” Paul contended. Indeed, one of the most remarkable things about Paul’s presidential campaign was its ability to energize youth around the unlikeliest of causes: “One of the most exciting issues that we talk about with young people is monetary policy.”

Even more than the Iraq War, the Federal Reserve stokes the passions of Paul’s supporters. During his keynote, the Target Center shook to chants of “End the Fed!” Months earlier, during a Paul appearance at the University of Michigan, students burned Federal Reserve notes—money, or Uncle Sam’s facsimile thereof.

A better prospect for 2012 might be the rally’s other ex-governor—Gary Johnson of New Mexico. He doesn’t have Ventura’s presence, but he’s witty. Describing his opposition to mandatory-helmet laws for motorcyclists, he said, “We have an organ donor shortage. If you want to ride your motorcycle without a helmet, go ahead.” Johnson is even more of a non-interventionist than his admirers had suspected. “We have a military presence in 155 countries,” he said, “We need to embark on a process of getting those 155 countries unoccupied, à la Ron Paul.”

The Rally for the Republic made plain that Ron Paul Republicans will have no truck with McCain or Obama. But is there any other politician they can support, besides Paul himself? More than just their movement is at stake: Paul’s revolution might be the last chance in a generation for sound money and a non-imperial foreign policy.

Micah Dardar
09-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Good article! As for Republicans in my lifetime, Gary Johnson was the first one that I liked. He actually softened the path for me to come over party lines and vote for Ron Paul. Now since I crossed the line, I can't go back to being fooled by the Democrats, but I still have utter contemp for any Republican that does not support Ron Paul's postitions.

Many Republicans would like to cite Reagen as being a good example, but I didn't think so. His administration is responsible for our current prison epidemic due to the drug war. The best president of my lifetime has been Clinton, and that isn't saying much.

Flash
09-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I've been saying since I saw the Rally that Gary E Johnson should be our next leader.

Ventura is great and all but we need to stay Republican.

nate895
09-19-2008, 10:35 PM
I've been saying since I saw the Rally that Gary E Johnson should be our next leader.

Ventura is great and all but we need to stay Republican.

I disagree with staying with the staying Republican, but all Ventura will do for the movement is attract a lot of people who think "It would be cool if The Body was President," they will support Ventura, and him only.

Gary Johnson is one of two people who I think should be our next leader, the other being Barry Goldwater, Jr., but he would only be able to do it for next election cycle, after that he will be too old as well. Barry Goldwater, Jr. would do very well in the GOP primaries on name recognition alone.

Flash
09-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I disagree with staying with the staying Republican, but all Ventura will do for the movement is attract a lot of people who think "It would be cool if The Body was President," they will support Ventura, and him only.

Gary Johnson is one of two people who I think should be our next leader, the other being Barry Goldwater, Jr., but he would only be able to do it for next election cycle, after that he will be too old as well. Barry Goldwater, Jr. would do very well in the GOP primaries on name recognition alone.

If Ventura is the future of the Paul movement, it will go the way of the Reform Party.

I have a feeling Gary Johnson would be able to carry on the Ron Paul movement for years to come. I even heard there were rumors of him running on the Libertarian Party back in 2007. Too bad he decided not to run, now we're stuck with barr.