PDA

View Full Version : Just failed my background check

brandon
09-19-2008, 06:58 PM
I just went to buy my first pistol and failed the instant background check.

My record is clean. I have no idea why I failed. I'm waiting for an appeal to go through.

Pa state constitution says:

Right to Bear Arms
Section 21.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Bruno
09-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I just went to buy my first pistol and failed the instant background check.

My record is clean. I have no idea why I failed. I'm waiting for an appeal to go through.

Pa state constitution says:

Right to Bear Arms
Section 21.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

They don't have to tell you why you failed? I have no idea, just asking. That sucks. do you have a right to appeal or anything?

klamath
09-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Afilliation with the RP forums.

muzzled dogg
09-19-2008, 07:07 PM
in mass you have to apply @ your local police station

police chiefs in certain cities (ie, boston) will not issue license to carry permits to anyone regardless or your record

Bruno
09-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Afilliation with the RP forums.

you had better be kidding! :eek:

klamath
09-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Yes:D

agentl074
09-19-2008, 07:12 PM

LOL Rep. Ron Paul is a US Congressman - I dont think supporting a Congressman would prevent you.....

Cowlesy
09-19-2008, 07:19 PM
If you have felony convictions in any other state you'll get denied too (incase your record is only clean in PA).

amy31416
09-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Shit. Was it that 7-11 drunken hot dog incident?

Conza88
09-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Maybe they use Google these days? LOL...

And where like... hmmm first site up is:

THE STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE v. Brandon Yates
http://www.courts.state.nh.us/supreme/opinions/2005/yates063.htm

And their like... ahh could be same dude; screw it.. lol

brandon
09-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Shit. Was it that 7-11 drunken hot dog incident?

That's the only thing I can think of...I'm still waiting for my trial for that. I don't think that would cause me to get denied though.

amy31416
09-19-2008, 07:36 PM
That's the only thing I can think of...I'm still waiting for my trial for that. I don't think that would cause me to get denied though.

I hope not. Did they tell you any details about what you can try to find out and where?

Ozwest
09-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Ummm...

Anytime authorities fuck me about.

I check my rights.

Then Hammer the fucking shit out of them.

Who is in charge?

ShowMeLiberty
09-19-2008, 07:50 PM
How old are you Brandon? A lot of times the background checks on people 18 - 25, especially first time gun buyers, get delayed because they aren't fully in the system yet (or something like that). Are you sure it was declined, not just delayed?

If it really was declined, double check the info you filled out on the form and ask the dealer to resubmit it. It might only be a snafu caused by a simple typo .

Good luck!

brandon
09-19-2008, 07:56 PM
I hope not. Did they tell you any details about what you can try to find out and where?

Yea they gave me an appeal form that I am going to send into the state police. Once the state police get the form from me, they have to respond in 5 business days and tell me exactly why I got denied.

Matt Collins
09-19-2008, 08:06 PM
But rights cannot be denied without due process. In other words, if you have to ask permission, then is it really a right?

agentl074
09-19-2008, 08:20 PM
But rights cannot be denied without due process. In other words, if you have to ask permission, then is it really a right?

More of a debate between the right of the states and the right of the people. The right of the people aka US Constitution SHOULD trump states rights - but ya'll know how DC has basically told the SCOTUS to *&&^ off:mad: So what does it really come down to?

Ozwest
09-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Easy does it.

For a couple of months I had to fire a Colt '44 magnum, whilst waiting for my stainless steel Ruger.

UnReconstructed
09-19-2008, 08:35 PM
just buy a gun out of the local paper

Ozwest
09-19-2008, 08:43 PM
just buy a gun out of the local paper

Haha... Steady on bro.

Bradley in DC
09-19-2008, 08:59 PM
ya'll know how DC has basically told the SCOTUS to *&&^ off:mad: So what does it really come down to?

We're still working on that here! ;)

CurtisLow
09-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Some info..
http://130.94.182.159/nicsfail.htm

coyote_sprit
09-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Does it have something to do with your speeding ticket?

bunklocoempire
09-22-2008, 02:15 AM
in mass you have to apply @ your local police station

police chiefs in certain cities (ie, boston) will not issue license to carry permits to anyone regardless or your record

Hawaii also.

Bunkloco

Dave39168
09-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Maybe they use Google these days? LOL...

And where like... hmmm first site up is:

THE STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE v. Brandon Yates
http://www.courts.state.nh.us/supreme/opinions/2005/yates063.htm

And their like... ahh could be same dude; screw it.. lol

seriously, if you share the same name as someone as in this case, it can cause it to be "delayed". I wouldn't think "denied" but "delayed". Especially if you don't put your SSN on the form. The SSN is optional, but if you put it down, it usually lets them approve you quicker.

Bill M DC
09-26-2008, 07:38 AM
seriously, if you share the same name as someone as in this case, it can cause it to be "delayed". I wouldn't think "denied" but "delayed". Especially if you don't put your SSN on the form. The SSN is optional, but if you put it down, it usually lets them approve you quicker.

I don't think this is a case of mistaken identity.

devil21
09-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Its easier to buy a gun off the books than by the book these days. Just check out gun related forums on the net. They all have classified sections and if you look hard enough, you'll find someone in your area selling what you are looking for. You bring cash, he brings the gun. No paperwork, no databases, just the good old 2nd Amendment in action.

madengr
09-27-2008, 09:10 PM
That's why I'm going to vote for McCain! At least with the Republicans private transactions will still be allowed.......DOOHHH (Homer Simpson).

Roxi
09-27-2008, 09:55 PM
yeah didn't you just get arrested recently? maybe im thinking of someone else?

but if its not a felony it SHOULDN"T matter

tropicangela
10-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Someone I know was denied in FL and they got around it by going through a private dealer at a gun show. Could you do that in PA?

Wendi
10-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't need - or want - a license to exercise my rights. There are other ways to acquire firearms that don't leave paper trails... ;)

Time for Change
10-02-2008, 01:46 PM
You need a pitchfork and a torch ... it worked in the past... 8-)

Uriel999
10-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey whats the update on this situation?

Leroy_Jenkems
10-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Me too. I thought I'd use a little reverse psychology on the question "Are you a fugitive from justice?" and check 'Yes.' It didn't work out.

Mach
10-08-2008, 01:51 PM

If you are still waiting on some kind of trial, that would probably do it, you know, a current legal proceeding kind of thing, as far as they're concerned, anything could happen, even you stepping out as a Felon..... kinda thing.

brandon
10-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know if you need to pass a background check to buy a rifle or shotgun in PA?

devil21
10-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Does anyone know if you need to pass a background check to buy a rifle or shotgun in PA?

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=pa

GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE
Are background checks required at gun shows? Partial

State law requires people buying handguns at gun shows to undergo the same Brady criminal background check as is required for sales that occur at federally-licensed gun stores. People buying long guns (which includes assault weapons) at gun shows are not subject to a background check prior to the sale. The state requires gun show sellers to use an authorized federal gun dealer at the gun show or a law enforcement official to access the FBI criminal records check prior to selling a handgun.

Long guns require the federal background check if purchased from a licensed Federal Firearms License holder (gun shop, even if selling at a gun show) because that law applies to the entire country. Private sales do not require background checks for long guns in PA. Remember, the "Gun Show Loophole" is simply a euphemism for private person to person sales.