PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to my first republican executive committee meeting tonight.

Mortikhi
09-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Should I wear a suit? :D

Melissa
09-18-2008, 01:04 PM
good luck if not a suit at least business casual

bojo68
09-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Myself, I'd definitely go business casual. My ex used to run in that world, one day I went to a big shindig at Freightliner, and she'd dressed me in the exact same business casual clothes that the head of the co was wearing...:)

Danke
09-18-2008, 01:16 PM

Wear a foxhat.

LittleLightShining
09-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Oh good! Good luck :)

If you're running for something definitely wear a suit.

Mortikhi
09-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I wore a suit. In fact, I was the only one in a suit.

People there came up to me, asked my name, called me Mister, and asked if I was running for something.

My reply, "No, but I will be soon". (2010)

The ladies were dolting over the "good looking young man". Reference: I'm in my mid 30s, they in their 60s. But I do have to agree with them, I am beef.

Anyhoot, the meeting was productive for me. I met some people. One woman that ran in the primary and lost said she would tell me everything there is to know about running for office (from her experience running and being in the rec for close to eternity).

I have 1 year to build up my contacts and get my name out there. 2010 will be here before I know it.

When I get elected, it will hopefully get others that were in my Ron Paul meetup groups the courage to run. Of course, by that time, I will be running for State office =D

Spirit of '76
09-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Good stuff. Sounds like a productive venture.

Good luck on your run. If there's anything we here can do to help, let us know.

LittleLightShining
09-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I wore a suit. In fact, I was the only one in a suit.

People there came up to me, asked my name, called me Mister, and asked if I was running for something.

My reply, "No, but I will be soon". (2010)

The ladies were dolting over the "good looking young man". Reference: I'm in my mid 30s, they in their 60s. But I do have to agree with them, I am beef.

Anyhoot, the meeting was productive for me. I met some people. One woman that ran in the primary and lost said she would tell me everything there is to know about running for office (from her experience running and being in the rec for close to eternity).

I have 1 year to build up my contacts and get my name out there. 2010 will be here before I know it.

When I get elected, it will hopefully get others that were in my Ron Paul meetup groups the courage to run. Of course, by that time, I will be running for State office =DFantastic! It's so nice to hear stories from folks who have been received well by GOP committees. I have been, too. It's frustrating to read about RP Republicans who are treated poorly by their state and local GOP.

Keep on truckin'. Go to every meeting you can, listen more than you talk and make yourself useful. I'm going to try to get the County Chair this spring and I made beaucoup brownie points last night for volunteering to make tickets for a fundraiser dinner. After 15 minutes of hemming and hawing about who could do it and where to do it and how hard is it and etc. I said, "I'll do it." One of my state Senators got up, handed me $20 and said, "Thanks! If it costs more let me know, if not keep the change." It took me a half hour on the computer and a half hour in Staples and I have some really impressive tickets that cost $5. And I get to be a hero.

Are you playing it stealthy or are you out of the closet in your support for Ron Paul?

forsmant
09-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Is this similar to a county committee meeting?

liberteebell
09-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I think you were smart to wear a suit. Those little old ladies won't forget that good looking hunk of beef in a suit. :cool:

Sorry kids but there's that old saying, "you only get one chance to make a first impression". It may be silly, and you may not be the type to judge people on their appearance (I certainly don't!), but the fact is that most people do, and they make further stereotypical judgements accordingly.

Anything we can do to make ourselves more "acceptable" up front will help us gain credibility in the long run.

angelatc
09-19-2008, 04:35 PM

A tie would be good. And do not wear short sleeves with a tie. Ever!

Mortikhi
09-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Is this similar to a county committee meeting?
No, but since this group has, I guess clout, two of the five county commissioners were there.

Mortikhi
09-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Are you playing it stealthy or are you out of the closet in your support for Ron Paul?

I haven't come out and said, "Ron Paul rules and you're all a bunch of neocon McCain shills!" heh

I did reiterate several of Ron Paul stances that I agree with and they were all shaking their heads in agreement.

I threw $5 to their coffers, that they use to rent booths and whatnot at the local fairs.

One lady said she was planning on running again in 2 years (she failed to get past the primaries this year), but since I planned on running, she would tell me everything she knows about running for county commissioner. She happened to be on some sort of float committees and now I'm going on the t-giving and x-mas parade Republican floats :D

Bruno
09-20-2008, 10:35 AM
I haven't come out and said, "Ron Paul rules and you're all a bunch of neocon McCain shills!" heh

I did reiterate several of Ron Paul stances that I agree with and they were all shaking their heads in agreement.

I threw $5 to their coffers, that they use to rent booths and whatnot at the local fairs.

One lady said she was planning on running again in 2 years (she failed to get past the primaries this year), but since I planned on running, she would tell me everything she knows about running for county commissioner. She happened to be on some sort of float committees and now I'm going on the t-giving and x-mas parade Republican floats :D

Funny stuff. Probably a good idea.
Most people would agree with the majority of RP's positions. It is only when they hear the name and their slanted association with it that they might recoil. Sell them first on the ideals, then they can find out later who they really should have supported.

Now might be a good time for an economics/Fed lesson for a few folks out there.