PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Ron Paul hold his own presidential debates?

Johnny K
09-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Ron Paul has always talked about the problem with the current debate system, how a candidate needs to have billions of dollars to get into the debates and so on.

So, why doesn't Ron Paul host his own presidential debates? Only 3rd party candidates would be invited.

If you remember (think back, now), Ron Paul did something similar with regards to the convention system. He was not allowed to participate in the Republican convention, so he held his own. And if I remember correctly, that worked out pretty well...didn't it?

Discussion on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ronpaul/comments/71tzf/idea_why_doesnt_ron_paul_hold_his_own/

scandinaviany3
09-18-2008, 08:36 AM
The only way things like this happen is if everyeone tells every paul supporter they have to call in and ask to get this done...

Would shoot for 6 person debates and putting PR against the dems and republicans personally...sounds like more fun to be involved with up front for all the trash they have heaped up on ron over the last year.

acptulsa
09-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Better to invite McCain and Obama. That way you can read their refusals to everyone.

MRoCkEd
09-18-2008, 08:54 AM
I've emailed the C4L twice about this.
Both times "Andrew" said he will forward it to the staffers

liberteebell
09-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Better to invite McCain and Obama. That way you can read their refusals to everyone.

...and then put up either cardboard cutouts or empty suits in their vacant places :eek::D

EvilEngineer
09-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Problem is that even if you invite McCain and Obama, they are contractually obligated by the quasi-government organization the commission on presidential debates to NOT participate in any debates aside from the ones they sanction. Not to mention that unless you get major networks to carry it, it won't change anything.

This election is all about media air time. The one with the most air time (positive or negative) will win when it comes times to polls. The recent surge in polls for McCain is due to Palin being in the news every 5 minutes... it's saved his campaign for the most part.

Imperial
09-18-2008, 10:06 AM
We should bomb C4L with pleas to host a debate. I bet we could get it on CSPAN and the radio.

As for qualifications, I would say that they have to be on the ballot in at least 30 states. That gives potential for success, and allows the top six candidates in.

And, Barr could accept this time because it isn't a 3rd Party debate theoretically, because McCain and Obama would qualify.

Ron Paul could travel the media circus to publicize it, from CNN to Beck to Cavuto. Cite the polls for 3rd Party inclusion in debates.

Oh, but you can call it just a forum. McCain and Obama have been to two of those...

EvilEngineer
09-18-2008, 11:04 AM
We should bomb C4L with pleas to host a debate. I bet we could get it on CSPAN and the radio.

Not a big enough audience to make a difference. We'd be the only ones watching it.

newyearsrevolution08
09-18-2008, 11:09 AM
I've emailed the C4L twice about this.
Both times "Andrew" said he will forward it to the staffers

I have tried and failed emailing everyone from the main campaign as well as once it transitioned into whatever it is now.

I think their "support" is more than lacking to say the least. Maybe we need to pump a few more million into it and then they can outsource the support to india and we can get some real feedback.