PDA

View Full Version : LNC Apologizes for Barr

Gin
09-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Here's the motion I made . . .

Colleagues -

I am very concerned with the Barr campaign's affront to RP campaign, supporters, etc. I have heard from several of our down line candidates that this stunt has cost them their supporters, volunteers and donors. If it was strategy, then it went seriously wrong, at least for our other candidates, and they were the ones who had some chance of getting elected, and actually moving policy toward more Liberty.

I believe that we need to apologize - if Barr's idea of leadership is to offend half the movement, then it is definitely my idea of leadership to apologize when it goes wrong.

To that end, I move that the LNC send the following letter to Dr. Paul, to post it on our blog, and send it to the Campaign 4 Liberty.
September 13, 2008

The Honorable Ron Paul
Committee to Re-Elect Ron Paul
837 W. Plantation
Clute, TX 71531

Dear Dr. Paul:

The Libertarian National Committee understands that the campaign of Libertarian presidential candidate Bob Barr has offended you, the Campaign for Liberty, and your many supporters by:

· Failing to attend your press conference at the National Press Club highlighting third party candidates after committing to do so;
· Holding a press conference of its own publicly inviting you to be Barr's Vice-President candidate (replacing Wayne Allyn Root) in spite of his personal knowledge that you have no interest in the position; and
· Issuing statements through both official and unofficial channels that disparaged you for not endorsing Barr's candidacy.

Although Former Congressman Bob Barr is the duly nominated presidential candidate of the Libertarian Party selected by delegates to the 2008 Libertarian National Convention, the Libertarian National Committee is deeply embarrassed by the Barr campaign's behavior and believes it does not reflect well on the Libertarian Party.

The Libertarian National Committee sincerely apologizes to you, the Campaign for Liberty, and your many supporters on behalf of the Libertarian Party and hopes that you, your organization, and your supporters will continue to work together with the Libertarian Party in our common fight for liberty in spite of the regrettable actions of Congressman Barr's campaign.

The Libertarian National Committee shares your goal of encouraging more people to vote for third party candidates and agrees with your four point statement on Foreign Policy, Privacy, The National Debt, and The Federal Reserve. The Libertarian National Committee respects your decisions to not seek the Libertarian nomination and not endorse an individual presidential candidate. The Libertarian National Committee also salutes the broad coalition of liberty loving Americans you have built through your presidential campaign, the Ron Paul R3VOLution, and the Campaign for Liberty.

Please note that Mr. Barr had no authority to invite you to join the Libertarian Party ticket. Under the Libertarian Party Bylaws, vice-presidential nominee vacancies are filled by the Libertarian National Committee, rather than by the presidential candidate himself. The Libertarian National Committee was not consulted before the offer was extended to you.

In addition, the Libertarian National Committee regrets that Acting Libertarian Party Executive Director Robert Kraus disparaged you in the Libertarian Party blog on www.lp.org. The Libertarian National Committee has reprimanded Mr. Kraus for his actions and is tightening its internal controls on www.lp.org blog content. We offer our sincere apology for the blog remarks of Libertarian Party staff.

The Libertarian National Committee, on behalf of the Libertarian Party, hopes its relationships with you, the Campaign for Liberty, and your many supporters were not irreparably harmed by the actions of the Barr campaign and our staff. The Libertarian National Committee and the Libertarian Party would both like nothing more than to continue to be allies with you in the battle for civil liberties, limited government, and non-intervention.

In Liberty,

The Libertarian National Committee

Posted by LNC Region 7 at 12:26 PM
Labels: Barr, Bylaws, Last Free Voice, Paul, violation, WAR

http://lncregion7.blogspot.com/2008/09/most-of-you-will-have-heard-of-current.html

Micah Dardar
09-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Well that redeems the party, but not the candidate. Thank you. I was thinking about changing from Libertarian to Republican to try to take the party back, but I'm happy to be a Libertarian. At least they admit their mistakes. I still can't vote for Barr, though.

0zzy
09-17-2008, 10:03 PM
interesting
im still voting Barr

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Nice motion, but it hasn't passed yet has it? I heard a rival faction of the LP is currently circulating one to chastise Ron Paul...which will only make matters worse if it passes.

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2008/09/proposed-lnc-motion-expresses-disappointment-with-ron-paul-invites-endorsement-of-barrroot/

Rangeley
09-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Yea, this is just a motion at this point, it hasn't gone through (right?)

Kludge
09-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Don't let this be forgotten....

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2008/09/shane-cory-to-ron-paul-campaign-for-liberty-go-fk-yourself/

Kotin
09-17-2008, 10:28 PM
don't let this be forgotten....

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2008/09/shane-cory-to-ron-paul-campaign-for-liberty-go-fk-yourself/

qft!!

libertarian4321
09-18-2008, 12:29 AM
As a long time Libertarian Party member, candidate, activist, and donor, I'm utterly appalled at Barr's actions. I was dismayed that he was nominated to begin with, given his neocon history, but I was willing to hold my nose and vote for him until he pulled this stunt.

Not anymore- I can't in good conscience vote for this guy. He couldn't do a better job of destroying the Libertarian Party if he tried (is he trying to destroy the LP?).

Barr is either a complete fool or utterly evil.

Adam Kokesh
09-18-2008, 12:42 AM
I hope the LNC does something to redeem itself and get distance from Barr's actions. I still have hope for the party. Maybe the CFL should add "Calling the LP back to its roots" to its list of slogans! But then we need to follow through with a grass roots take over of the LP, just like were trying with the GOP.

Hamer
09-18-2008, 06:48 AM
This is very misleading and you know it. the LP is not apologizing for Barr this is one person that wrote this letter of what the want the LP to say. There are many in the LP that are calling to chastize Ron Paul for his actions, WHAT? Ron Paul wants unity and Barr wants unity so long as it is under his dictatorship.

David Nolan co-founder of the LP stated that the Barr campaign is over and DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY TO BARR'S CAMPAIGN. Bob Barr and his staff sent out a presss release that was posted on the official campaign website that praised George W. Bush for his great leadership after 9-11 WTF!

Bob Barr said Ron's press conference was a waste of time and what Ron should have done was to endorse him. WTF? Sorry LP this isn;t goin gto fly or restore the damage that has been done. If the LP wanted the support of libertarians then they should have nominated a libertarian and stuck to the platform of the LP not the neocons

Frealism
09-18-2008, 06:53 AM
How can anyone support Barr? In this time that we live in compromise is unacceptable. We need strict adherence to the constitution and records to back up words.

Barr is not that guy. I was a Libertarian party sustaining member my entire voting life but I let my membership expire because of Barr. This is a guy that voted for the Patriot Act and has a terrible history of neocon actions and beliefs. Sure he is talking an ok game now but we can only judge the future by studying history and history shows that he is not trustworthy.

Besides that I watched his entire show on Glenn Beck after the convention a few weeks back and heard him claim that he is not an isolationist and expressed views that we may need to keep a presence in areas around the world. I don't know about you all but On the other forums I spread liberty at I fought many battles regarding the difference between isolationism and non-interventionism.

Voting for Barr shows support for a slightly more neocon direction for the Libertarian party, compromise and acceptance will be the death of us. We must have strict adherence to the ideas of liberty and our constitution, plain and simple.

Sign this petition to remove Barr as the Nominee: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/RemoveBobBar/index.html

FindLiberty
09-18-2008, 06:53 AM
barf...

Now I'll need to place THREE clothes clips on my nose before I vote for the LP candidate (no names please) to help them get ballot access in 2010/2012.

...for shame, for shame, for shame.

acptulsa
09-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Did any of you help during the primaries? Do you remember the scores of people who said they would never vote for Ron Paul because he's got that R beside his name? He is in the same party as Dubya, so they would never vote for him. Was that attitude stupid?

Guess what? Refusing to help out good liberty candidates running as LP candidates is at least just as dumb. Isn't it?

Please support all good liberty candidates regardless of the party umbrella they have chosen! Thank you.

rancher89
09-18-2008, 07:04 AM
here's a link to a LNC blog that you may find interesting

http://lncregion7.blogspot.com/2008/09/most-of-you-will-have-heard-of-current.html

Imperial
09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
David Nolan also said he would vote for Bob Barr. In this case, voting for the party can be helpful to the extent we might be able to skip ballot access all across the nation, in tough states like North Carolina. And, it still sends a message.

Not voting Barr actually is hurting the LP- and while we are acting to take over the GOP, it helps to have outside movements bolstering this effort with their support and strong voting base.

If you don't want another Barr, fine. In 2012, become a delegate to the LP and bring in a good balanced ticket.

acptulsa
09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
David Nolan also said he would vote for Bob Barr. In this case, voting for the party can be helpful to the extent we might be able to skip ballot access all across the nation, in tough states like North Carolina. And, it still sends a message.

Not voting Barr actually is hurting the LP- and while we are acting to take over the GOP, it helps to have outside movements bolstering this effort with their support and strong voting base.

If you don't want another Barr, fine. In 2012, become a delegate to the LP and bring in a good balanced ticket.

Yes, yes and yes. If we can do as much as we have done so far as reclaiming the G.O.P., saving the L.P. should be a cakewalk for us.