PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul WINS Maryland Straw Poll!

interpaul
09-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Numbers are not official yet, and will be announced tomorrow.

Ron Paul Wins Maryland Straw Poll!

Ron Paul 263 votes - 28%
Giuliani 260 votes
Thompson 188 votes

963 total votes cast

LibertyEagle
09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Did Giuliani get 260 or 263? The other poster said Giuliani got 263. Which is right?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=15616

speciallyblend
09-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Did Giuliani get 260 or 263? The other poster said Giuliani got 263. Which is right?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=15616

Ron Paul it seems won ,if the correction is right WOOOHO great job EAST COASTERS

Michael Ingram
09-04-2007, 06:28 PM
I am so happy right now.

Shiranu
09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Wewt 4 Dr. Paul

zhughes315
09-04-2007, 06:36 PM
If this is accurate and Paul won by 3 votes, I feel honored. Myself and two others went up there from College Park on Sunday to vote. We almost didn't make it up there. We had cancelled our trip twice because of scheduling problems.

zhughes315
09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Where did you get these numbers from anyhow?

njandrewg
09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
1000 votes at an event lasting from Friday, August 24, 2007 10 AM - Monday, September 03, 2007 10 PM just shows you how messed up the GOP is right now

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Magnifitastic! Maryland rocks! (You're obviously upstream of the DC water supply.)

njandrewg
09-04-2007, 06:57 PM
http://ronpauldaily.blogspot.com/2007/09/ron-paul-wins-maryland-state-fair-straw.html

digg this because it makes the straw poll sound more official...not just 1 2 hour straw poll...but a state fair straw poll lasting more than a week

mavtek
09-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Digg people Digg!

paulitics
09-04-2007, 07:10 PM
http://ronpauldaily.blogspot.com/2007/09/ron-paul-wins-maryland-state-fair-straw.html

digg this because it makes the straw poll sound more official...not just 1 2 hour straw poll...but a state fair straw poll lasting more than a week

is this offcial? Maybe we should wait until tomorrow.

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Digg link: http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_wins_Maryland_State_Fair_straw_poll

quickmike
09-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Magnifitastic! Maryland rocks! (You're obviously upstream of the DC water supply.)

HAHAHAHA

jimvrp
09-04-2007, 07:22 PM
I posted these results on another thread, but thought I should post them here also.

I was there to help count the ballots. These results should match the 'official' results which will be announced by the MD GOP in a news release tomorrow.

Here are the results:

Ron Paul - 263 (28%)
Rudy Giuliani - 220 (24%)
Fred Thompson - 188 (20%)
Mitt Romney - 89 (10%)

John McCain - 54 (6%)
Mike Huckabee - 35 (4%)
Tom Tancredo - 16 (2%)
Sam Brownback - 12 (1%)
Duncan Hunter - 3 (0%)

Write Ins:
New Gingrich - 17 (2%)
Bob Ehrilich - 3 (0%) (Ehrlich is former Republican Governor of MD)
Other - 11 (1%)

Spoiled ballots - 15 (2%) (e.g. voted for more than one candidate)

Total votes cast - 926

stevedasbach
09-04-2007, 07:25 PM
We should wait and Digg a news article about the event. More credibility.

LeVer2k2
09-04-2007, 07:25 PM
This is great news, official or not. I'm so glad my wife and I took part in this. Great work, everyone!

njandrewg
09-04-2007, 07:27 PM
We should wait and Digg a news article about the event. More credibility.
we can digg that tomorrow....double the exposure :P

Starks
09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_wins_Maryland_Straw_Poll

njandrewg
09-04-2007, 08:31 PM
it always warms my heart to see guys like Huckabee/Brownback/Hunter, who take one straw poll after putting all their effort into it, get proclaimed front runners...and then the next straw poll they get a minimal amount of votes

Madison
09-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Are we allowed to call RP a top-tier candidate yet?

I'm waiting for the MSM to give us permission before I do anything so drastic.

njandrewg
09-04-2007, 08:36 PM

absolutely not...the votes Ron Paul gets is the whole of Ron Paul supporters. The day before the straw poll they bus themselves in from across the state, they grab a bunch of homeless people and pay them $5 to vote for Ron Paul, and then kidnap the kids of republicans and threaten to kill them unless they vote for Ron Paul

thuja
09-04-2007, 08:42 PM
i thought they were now called the OLD MEDIA, and not the MSM

slantedview
09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
ownage. now we wait and see the mainstream media (not) cover this thing.

Badger Paul
09-04-2007, 09:18 PM
A salure to our supporters Maryland for all their hard work! Congrats!

You see, this is the difference being a national camapaign. Duncan Hunter threw everything he had into Texas and it paid off for him. But he only gained three votes in Maryland whereas Ron Paul has support all over the country and mobilize it when it counts.

A nice bit of good news!

JosephTheLibertarian
09-04-2007, 09:43 PM

I call the MSM the GOP.. the grand old partisans

Zydeco
09-05-2007, 04:04 AM

Ron Paul will never be a top-tier candidate! Only CFR trash can be top-tier.

blazin_it_alwyz
09-05-2007, 04:12 AM

Indeed. They are (and should be called) the Old Media.

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 04:16 AM
I second Badger Paul's Post. Credit is due to the hard workers in Maryland and surrounding States who made this happen!

tangent4ronpaul
09-05-2007, 06:41 AM
We counted the MD straw poll ballots this evening. The results:

Ron Paul 263 28%
Rudy Guiliani 220 24%
Fred Thompson 188 20%
Mitt Romney 89 10%
John McCain 54 6%
Mike Huckabee 35 4%
Tom Tancredo 16 2%
Sam Brownback 12 1%
Duncan Hunter 3 0%

Write ins:
Newt Gingrich 17 2%
Bob Ehrlich 3 0%
Other 11 1%

Spoiled ballots 15 2%

Total ballots 926

Thanks to all who helped and thanks to the MD Republican Party for
sponsoring the straw poll, and serving as cordial hosts for our
volunteers who helped staff the Republican booth.

The MD Republican Party will issue a news release tomorrow to announce
the results.

goldenequity
09-05-2007, 07:39 AM
That is EXCELLENT news tangent!

MUCH thanks to all you hard working
Marylanders!!!!

randy:)

BuddyRey
09-05-2007, 07:47 AM
I knew there's a reason Maryland is one of my favorite states! Now I can add this to my running list, which includes the Chesapeake Bay and John Waters movies!

jblosser
09-05-2007, 08:36 AM
On behalf of TX people, thank you MD people for validating what we said here: Duncan won because he threw everything he could into riling up the chickenhawks and getting them to vote for him as the warhawk who showed up. We knew he could not repeat it and that Ron is still the only one winning nationally.

Beating Rudy in a reasonably close vote up in his home territory is great to see. Now where are the MSM cries of "if Rudy can't even win in his home region he's finished"?

SJohnsson
09-05-2007, 09:04 AM
If this is accurate and Paul won by 3 votes, I feel honored. Myself and two others went up there from College Park on Sunday to vote. We almost didn't make it up there. We had cancelled our trip twice because of scheduling problems.

you go to UMD? if yes, i'm glad to have a another terp in the house. i just wish i could've come down for the event myself

Starks
09-05-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm a 3rd year Terp.

SJohnsson
09-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm a 3rd year Terp.

This is why i love my school. Where are you living at?

Ridiculous
09-05-2007, 09:17 AM
So where is this press release already?

Starks
09-05-2007, 09:23 AM
This is why i love my school. Where are you living at?

Calvert Hall.

OceanMachine7
09-05-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm a 3rd year Terp.

Terp alum, class of 06 here.

jpa
09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_wins_Maryland_Straw_Poll

Buried. I think we should digg the press release instead, not a link to these forums.

JMann
09-05-2007, 10:14 AM
I won't be reading any pro Rudy blogs today but I have to wonder if there is a small segment blaming the system, that they where cheated and that the world is out to get them and the aliens are coming to get W to blow up more buildings while trying to allow us to start a war with Iran to steal their oil and to begin a draft of poor, uneducated, minority, homosexual high school students to die.

I hope my fellow RP supporters handle victories with more class than the defeats.

LibertyEagle
09-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Buried. I think we should digg the press release instead, not a link to these forums.

No kidding!! Are we wanting to attract more trolls here? C'mon, don't link to this forum. Geez.

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 11:10 AM
JMann, Sorry mate but your last post got me riled up. Where do you get off being such an elitist, I'm guessing with that attitude your money hasn't come hard earned.Interested in seeing your life experience. I'd show you the door.

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 11:18 AM
JMann, Age rank and serial number?

quickmike
09-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Did I just miss something here? LOL

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 11:24 AM
quickmike, Not at all. Just got a nose for mommy's boys like JMann(woman).

Ridiculous
09-05-2007, 11:26 AM
So where is the MD straw poll press release already???

quickmike
09-05-2007, 11:34 AM
So where is the MD straw poll press release already???

Usually on a weekday they release stuff like this after 5pm so its still fresh when people get off work.

FSP-Rebel
09-05-2007, 11:36 AM
quickmike, Not at all. Just got a nose for mommy's boys like JMann(woman).
Come one, we need momma's boys too...Aren't we all momma's boys?:D

Zydeco
09-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I called the MD GOP around 1 pm today and they said they'd have the results on their site by 2.

quickmike
09-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Come one, we need momma's boys too...Aren't we all momma's boys?:D

Gotta love momma................. she put us in this world. Thanks alot mom. LOL

LibertyEagle
09-05-2007, 12:02 PM
JMann, Age rank and serial number?

You're sounding WAY too much like a Fred supporter. :(

LeVer2k2
09-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I called the MD GOP around 1 pm today and they said they'd have the results on their site by 2.

http://www.mdgop.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=5992

Wednesday, September 05, 2007
GOP Presidential Straw Poll Is A Big Success

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 5, 2007

Maryland GOP Presidential Straw Poll Is A Big Success
Grassroots Candidate Wins Surprise Upset

ANNAPOLIS— After eleven days of presidential straw poll ballots cast at the Maryland Republican Party’s State Fair booth, Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas) was announced last night as the winner.

The Maryland Republican Party’s first-ever presidential straw poll at the State Fair resulted in nearly 1,000 Marylanders casting a vote for their favorite Republican candidate for president. The straw poll was open to all voting age adults regardless of party affiliation, and the voter had to be present at the booth. The campaigns of all nine presidential candidates appearing on the ballot were invited to have a representative at the State Fair booth at all times. While most campaigns did not have a representative present, the Ron Paul campaign had full representation for all eleven days.

Congressman Ron Paul came in first place with 263 votes, Mayor Rudy Giuliani was second with 220 votes, and Senator Fred Thompson received 188 votes, which garnered the third place spot. The rest of the votes were cast as follows: 89 votes for Governor Mitt Romney, 54 votes for Senator John McCain, 35 votes for Governor Mike Huckabee, 17 votes for Speaker Newt Gingrich (write-in), 16 votes for Congressman Tom Tancredo, 12 votes for Senator Sam Brownback, 3 votes for Congressman Duncan Hunter, and 3 votes for Governor Bob Ehrlich (write-in). There were 11 other write-in votes for individual people. There were also a number of spoiled ballots that were not counted.

Dr. Jim Pelura, Chairman of the Maryland Republican Party, released the following statement:

“When we came up with the idea of holding our first-ever presidential straw poll at the State Fair, we never expected such a large turnout. We were extremely pleased by the steady flow of people casting a vote in the straw poll, signing our petitions opposing the gas tax increase, sales tax increase, and illegal immigration, and picking up a “Don’t Blame Me…I Voted For Ehrlich” bumper sticker. We heard loud and clear that Marylanders are not happy with the direction of our state under one-party rule.”

Chris Cavey, First Vice Chairman of the Maryland Republican Party and Co-Chairman of the MDGOP’s State Fair Planning Committee, stated the following:

“The final vote showing Ron Paul won is a lesson for all campaigns of how grassroots politics can make all the difference. The Paul campaign repeatedly e-mailed their base of support to turn out at the State Fair to cast a vote for Dr. Paul, and in doing so, demonstrated that a small organized operation can beat the odds.” Cavey continued, “The Maryland Republican Party’s booth at the State Fair was a huge success. By contrast, the Democrat Party’s booth was a ghost town. Where were the Democrats? They were at our booth signing our petitions opposing tax increases.”

quickmike
09-05-2007, 12:26 PM

Thats pretty damn cool Id say. Especially the last paragraph.

Ridiculous
09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
0 MSM press coverage on this so far... I wonder if it will be picked up at all.

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Hoy, My original post has morphed. Youre Momma will back me.

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Im usually mellow. I also have standads. I have employed a few and worked side by side. I can spot a mommy's boy . No protected species.

Zydeco
09-05-2007, 01:47 PM
But again, notice how this guy misunderstands the Ron Paul Revolution. The Paul campaign per se did not e-mail anyone as far as I know; this was spontaneous organization and support, and we won.

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Looks like mommy's boy borrowed Daddy's Beamer. First one to the camps sonny boy. Charleton.

hvac ak47
09-05-2007, 02:19 PM
What the hell are you talking about OZ ???

OceanMachine7
09-05-2007, 02:21 PM
0 MSM press coverage on this so far... I wonder if it will be picked up at all.

I sent a tip to the Baltimore Examiner. The Sun's web form wasn't working.

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 02:42 PM
hvac ak 47, Nothing at all ! You name it . Seeking guidance. Can you help me.

hvac ak47
09-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Nope, sorry cant help. Why do Jews drive german cars?

tekkierich
09-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Sent a e-mail to the Ron Smith talk show on 1090am WBAL. He read it on air for a few seconds as a rebuttal to a caller.

Ron Smith is an ideological friend to this campaign. Not officially allied, but a friend for sure.

I am sure he will bring up this win during his show at other times.

tekkierich
09-05-2007, 03:57 PM
My on-air e-mail read inspired me to do more. I have called or e-mailed all the local TV stations, notifying them of the results of the straw poll. I actually spoke to someone at Channel 2 news and Channel 45 news.

We will see if this gains any traction.

Stealth4
09-05-2007, 04:13 PM
My on-air e-mail read inspired me to do more. I have called or e-mailed all the local TV stations, notifying them of the results of the straw poll. I actually spoke to someone at Channel 2 news and Channel 45 news.

We will see if this gains any traction.

Yep, Ive found calling to be much better, I'd call the Washington Post now, but I'm still at work.

tekkierich
09-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Now add Washington Post, Baltimore Sun and Maryland Gazette / Capital to the Called list.

The lady from the Sun seemed interested. Took my name down in case they might need a name for a Ron Paul supporter to interview for a story.

Sweet

purepaloma
09-05-2007, 04:30 PM
The PHOENIX Business Journal: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2007/09/03/daily17.html?f=et73&ana=e_du

torchbearer
09-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Anyone have an updated Nascar Points chart for the straw polls?

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 05:32 PM
hvac ak 47, No drama, You're question is rhetorical. I'll play the game... Why do wankers wank?

inibo
09-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Maryland GOP Presidential Straw Poll Is A Big Success
Grassroots Candidate Wins Surprise Upset

ANNAPOLIS— After eleven days of presidential straw poll ballots cast at the Maryland Republican Party’s State Fair booth, Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas) was announced last night as the winner.

The Maryland Republican Party’s first-ever presidential straw poll at the State Fair resulted in nearly 1,000 Marylanders casting a vote for their favorite Republican candidate for president. The straw poll was open to all voting age adults regardless of party affiliation, and the voter had to be present at the booth. The campaigns of all nine presidential candidates appearing on the ballot were invited to have a representative at the State Fair booth at all times. While most campaigns did not have a representative present, the Ron Paul campaign had full representation for all eleven days.(1)

Congressman Ron Paul came in first place with 263 votes, Mayor Rudy Giuliani was second with 220 votes, and Senator Fred Thompson received 188 votes, which garnered the third place spot. The rest of the votes were cast as follows: 89 votes for Governor Mitt Romney, 54 votes for Senator John McCain, 35 votes for Governor Mike Huckabee, 17 votes for Speaker Newt Gingrich (write-in), 16 votes for Congressman Tom Tancredo, 12 votes for Senator Sam Brownback, 3 votes for Congressman Duncan Hunter, and 3 votes for Governor Bob Ehrlich (write-in). There were 11 other write-in votes for individual people. There were also a number of spoiled ballots that were not counted.

Dr. Jim Pelura, Chairman of the Maryland Republican Party, released the following statement:

“When we came up with the idea of holding our first-ever presidential straw poll at the State Fair, we never expected such a large turnout. We were extremely pleased by the steady flow of people casting a vote in the straw poll, signing our petitions opposing the gas tax increase, sales tax increase, and illegal immigration, and picking up a “Don’t Blame Me…I Voted For Ehrlich” bumper sticker. We heard loud and clear that Marylanders are not happy with the direction of our state under one-party rule.”

Chris Cavey, First Vice Chairman of the Maryland Republican Party and Co-Chairman of the MDGOP’s State Fair Planning Committee, stated the following:

“The final vote showing Ron Paul won is a lesson for all campaigns of how grassroots politics can make all the difference. The Paul campaign repeatedly e-mailed their base of support to turn out at the State Fair to cast a vote for Dr. Paul, and in doing so, demonstrated that a small organized operation can beat the odds.” Cavey continued, “The Maryland Republican Party’s booth at the State Fair was a huge success. By contrast, the Democrat Party’s booth was a ghost town. Where were the Democrats?(2) They were at our booth signing our petitions opposing tax increases.”

Emphasis added by me.

Notes:

1) the Ron Paul campaign had full representation for all eleven days.
No, the grassroots campaign had full representation. There was no official presence. There were some discussions about having Don Seehusen, the Deputy National Campaign Manager put in an appearance on September 1st, but it did not pan out. There were logistical problems based on the space and the location of the GOP booth that would have made it difficult to get enough general fairgoers marshaled together to hear him talk, which was the whole reason for the planned appearance. We could certainly have gotten at least a modest crowd of Ron Paul supporters there, but it could have been disruptive, not because we would have been unruly, but because we would have been blocking the aisle violating fire codes. Beside, the national campaign has more important things to be doing than preaching to the choir. I agree completely with their reasoning and I'm gratified to know we did it without them.

The Old Media have shown a propensity to attribute our spontaneous movement to centralized planning, control and direction by the official campaign. They cannot get their tiny minds around the idea of self-organization. We are the campaign and the HQ is scrambling to keep up. It seems to me Fredo is trying to simulate us and in that he will fail.

2) Where were the Democrats?
Better the GOP should be asking "Where are the supporters of the anointed Republican front runners?"

Overall I'd say there is an implicit recognition by the Maryland GOP that we are a force to be reckoned with. If they are serious about survival the will join us.

hvac ak47
09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
hvac ak 47, No drama, You're question is rhetorical. I'll play the game... Why do wankers wank?

Because they are wankers. Have a good night!

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Good night and enjoy your rhetorical. May the force be with you.

tekkierich
09-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Main stream media coverage in the Washington post. Ok it is page C4 but, I am cool with that. I am not so sure I like "idiosyncratic" however. Other wise a good article in a local as well as national paper.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/08/AR2007090801653.html