PDA

View Full Version : Is Bill Maher toward our side?

Zera
09-17-2008, 07:37 PM
I was just passing by some of the channels, and I saw that he was about to appear on some program on MSNBC. He talked about some foreign policy related stuff, and it sounded very similar to what Paul believes. So, is he at least somewhat of a good guy, or just a two face?

Zera
09-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Crap, I clicked on the wrong section when I made a new topic. Can anyone move this to the proper area?

Flash
09-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I think hes always said that 9/11 was a result of foreign policy not because they hated freedom.

berrybunches
09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
he is libertarian but left leaning. He is very similar to RP on foreign policy.

Andrew Ryan
09-17-2008, 08:08 PM
No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF4_oaTIH8g

MRoCkEd
09-17-2008, 08:13 PM
No

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF4_oaTIH8g
From that interview: He agrees that our meddling in foreign nations is what inspires terrorists, but he is not convinced that we shouldn't support israel.

Deborah K
09-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Here he calls Ron Paul is new hero: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUYDt7kC3Z0

MRoCkEd
09-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Agreements:
End the war on drugs.
End the war in Iraq and Afghanistan

azamalech
09-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Bill Maher is on the side of anyone who likes to laugh :D

He's been a huge critic of the Bush/Cheney foreign policy for years now, and although he's generally left leaning is definitely more friend than foe.

christagious
09-17-2008, 09:47 PM
he is libertarian but left leaning. He is very similar to RP on foreign policy.

He CLAIMS to be libertarian. I saw him the other day on I think Jimmy Kimmel and Kimmel said "so you're pretty libertarian, who are you supporting for president" and this is what Maher said "Obama, of course".
The quotes may not be exactly what was said, I'm working off of memory, but he's supporting Obama.

angelatc
09-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Crap, I clicked on the wrong section when I made a new topic. Can anyone move this to the proper area?

If you click the white triangle (with the exclamation point) you can flag a mod and ask them to move it.

devil21
09-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Bill Maher definitely agrees with RP on foreign policy and the WoD but that's really about it from what I can tell. He mentions him on his show occasionally so he's higher in my book than 99% of the rest of the pundits. Im definitely looking forward to Bill's new movie Religulous (since Im not a fundie).

Thrashertm
09-18-2008, 03:48 AM
Maher claims to be libertarian, but only when it comes to issues of personal freedom (drugs, abortion, gambling, etc.), and foreign policy. He supports government intervention for global warming and similar "necessary" roles for the government.

I was disappointed when Maher came out as a huge Obama supporter. I thought he was smarter than that. Still, he's one of my favorite comedians, and his show "Real Time" on HBO offers by far the best discourse on politics that can be found in the Mainstream Media.

Also, I saw Religulous at a special screening and it's pretty damn good.

Thrashertm
09-18-2008, 03:49 AM
subscribed to thread.

newyearsrevolution08
09-18-2008, 03:52 AM
subscribed to thread.

sweet, I am glad to hear it

now that makes 7 people everyone

we are winning the battle lol.

Cinderella
09-18-2008, 07:02 AM
bill is a phony...he had ron paul on the show once and it was great! he called him a hero...he wondered why america wouldnt make him president etc...then the blackout began and never have i heard him mention anything about ron paul...when he complains about the republican primaries he says that we didnt have any viable candidate and then throws out names like romney and ghooliani and mccain and the huck...so he conveniently forgot about his hero ron paul? bill obeys his masters and is no liberty fighter.....

acptulsa
09-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Maher is a Kuchinich liberal and in my book that makes him misguided on may issues but puts his heart in the right place. He has skated 'the line' for years and the only thing that keeps him from being fired in a heartbeat is our viewership and the money the sponsors will pay for his good ratings.

Defining Obscene
09-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Hes funny, and at times, hes right, but he is still owned by the corporate smut pushers. When he gets shut down sooner or later, then he'll come out swinging, I hope. But what good is it after the fact? I used to agree with him 100%, now I only find myself 50% at most.

constitutional
09-18-2008, 04:25 PM
He supported RP, he said it on CNN.

You are not going to find 100% RP supporters everywhere.

LandonCook
09-18-2008, 05:01 PM
He CLAIMS to be libertarian. I saw him the other day on I think Jimmy Kimmel and Kimmel said "so you're pretty libertarian, who are you supporting for president" and this is what Maher said "Obama, of course".
The quotes may not be exactly what was said, I'm working off of memory, but he's supporting Obama.

He donated to Obama recently and he's rather economicly left. Socially he is pretty libertarian... he's basicly your average Dem.

nbruno322
09-18-2008, 06:38 PM
He barely mentions Ron on his show... I am undecided about Maher. I have watched him for a while and know that he has a loyal following. I just do not think he is very open minded, plus he buys into the whole two party system thing and is heavily left-leaning.

HOLLYWOOD
09-18-2008, 07:18 PM
FREEDOM... In this country? Take a closer look... EVERYTHING is Regulated, Monitored, Watched, Analyzed, Stored...

Maybe Denmark or Holland are free...

the American usage on the rights of FREEDOM is for Government to do ANYTHING they wish... ie, from voting themselves PAID RAISES to SPYING on anything of yours.

This US government is NOT viewed as being of personal freedoms, this government is viewed as the IMPERIALISTIC POWERS to GLOBALLY REIGN FREE.

PS: Bill Maher is ultra left, though, the only Republican he has respect for is Ron Paul and has spoken well of RP, numerous times. Which is quite flattering, considering he HATES the GOP.

constitutional
09-18-2008, 07:41 PM
FREEDOM... In this country? Take a closer look... EVERYTHING is Regulated, Monitored, Watched, Analyzed, Stored...

Maybe Denmark or Holland are free...

the American usage on the rights of FREEDOM is for Government to do ANYTHING they wish... ie, from voting themselves PAID RAISES to SPYING on anything of yours.

This US government is NOT viewed as being of personal freedoms, this government is viewed as the IMPERIALISTIC POWERS to GLOBALLY REIGN FREE.

PS: Bill Maher is ultra left, though, the only Republican he has respect for is Ron Paul and has spoken well of RP, numerous times. Which is quite flattering, considering he HATES the GOP.

I
Agree
With
You.
No,
I'm
SERIOUS (http://google.com)!!

I do
agree
SOMEWHAT only
though.

Get my point? :p

Your writing style drives me up the wall. :)

DRV45N05
09-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Before you guys call Maher a "Kucinich liberal," perhaps you guys should watch this video with his commentary on health care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdHg6_pDbSI

He basically argues that socialized medicine won't do anything to fix our health care system. He even throws out the line, "The government is not our nanny." How many "Kucinich liberals" do you know who say that? He even threw it out to Michael Moore when he had him on his show, saying:

“Basically people are sick in this country because they are poisoned, the environment is a poisoning factor, but also we’ve got to say they poison themselves – they eat shit, people eat shit.”

Furthermore, Bill Maher supported Bob Dole in 1996.

I would say he's a libertarian, but with some nuance. He's definitely very concerned about global warming and environmental issues and believes that the government should intervene to address it. But he generally voices support for lower taxes, lower spending, and more free market-leaning (or at least privatization-leaning) economic policies. For instance, he's said that he favors Social Security Privatization. (Which I think is a pretty bad idea, as it basically redistributes people's Payroll Taxes over to the brilliant investors at the likes of Lehman Brothers and Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac so they can invest in such bullet proof assets as securitized mortgages. I prefer Social Security ABOLITION, myself.)

haaaylee
09-18-2008, 09:00 PM
he loved ron paul until ron paul mentioned not liking the civil war/lincoln and for some reason he seemed to no longer take him seriously ------------- otherwise i love bill maher. and he is also an atheist, so he can't be that stupid.

sajorojas
09-18-2008, 09:37 PM
he is also an atheist, so he can't be that stupid.

High five.
This thread has been an atheist orgy, so let me get in on some of that. :D

amy31416
09-19-2008, 07:42 AM
And here's Bill making an ass out of himself attempting to make Ron Paul look like an ass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsvpRFSLAg&feature=related

He's on the side of whomever signs his paychecks.

Truth Warrior
09-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Bill is on our side as much as any other Bubba, Gore, Kerry, Obama voter and supporter is.<IMHO> ;) :D

humanic
09-19-2008, 11:54 AM
And here's Bill making an ass out of himself attempting to make Ron Paul look like an ass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqsvpRFSLAg&feature=related

He's on the side of whomever signs his paychecks.

+1

Bill is an ignorant, arrogant, and disingenuous.

Incidentally, Ron's point about the civil war which Maher was idiotically ridiculing was further validated a short while later.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23434604/

"Barely a year into the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln suggested buying slaves for $400 apiece under a "gradual emancipation" plan that would bring peace at less cost than several months of hostilities."

wizardwatson
09-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Being an atheist is one thing, thinking that if you have religious beliefs you are mentally inferior is another, and Bill has espoused this rhetoric multiple times on his show and on Larry King, then in an effort to pander, parrots Obama's "Jesus was a community organizer" line.

Comedians are good when they point out irony and hypocrisy in politics (even though its quite easy, as anyone can see pouring over RPF) but when they start pushing their own agenda, they become less funny. Which isn't always bad, as you have to take them on a case by case basis, but in Bill's case, I think he's better off pointing out irony and hypocrisy.

obsolescence
09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Maher supported Edwards during the primaries...