PDA

View Full Version : The way Connecticut spends money is a joke

Jeremy
09-17-2008, 08:21 AM
If I remember correctly, we are the most taxed state. Anyway, we (I mean the government) had a surplus of money last year. You'd think they'd take some of these taxes down! Well just now on the news I heard they have to decide what to waste it on. :rolleyes: So they're voting on whether millions of "extra" money should go to some stupid art thing which most people in the state will NEVER use or even know about.

See this is why I'll probably be a freestater one day. NH is FAR more fiscally responsible. No sales tax, income tax, etc... yet the state is still operating perfectly fine like the rest of them!

SamuraisWisdom
09-17-2008, 08:35 AM
I heard from someone who works in the capitol building that they were proposing a bill that would help out families making $90k or less with their home heating this winter using the surplus money. Then again, if you're making $90k per year you shouldn't NEED help with home heating anyway...

gls
09-17-2008, 08:39 AM
CT is hopeless. I currently live in the state but there is no way I would ever buy property here. I’m moving to New Hampshire in the spring where liberty activists have a fighting chance.

SamuraisWisdom
09-17-2008, 08:45 AM
CT is hopeless. I currently live in the state but there is no way I would ever buy property here. I’m moving to New Hampshire in the spring where liberty activists have a fighting chance.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing once I'm ready to own property. The taxes here are outrageous. I get about 25% of my paycheck taken out every week and I'm a college student working part-time!! It sure would be nice to have that last 25% to you know, buy food, books, rent, etc.

yongrel
09-17-2008, 08:48 AM
I heard from someone who works in the capitol building that they were proposing a bill that would help out families making $90k or less with their home heating this winter using the surplus money. Then again, if you're making $90k per year you shouldn't NEED help with home heating anyway...

90k is not a lot in CT. I lived in a town where the average house cost 350k, and the houses were pretty old and small. Average community, no mansions, etc. Just really expensive.

Connecticut has perpetuated the myth that they have fantastic schools, so people pay exorbitant amounts to live in dumpy towns and pay outrageous property taxes.

Jeremy
09-17-2008, 08:51 AM
90k is not a lot in CT. I lived in a town where the average house cost 350k, and the houses were pretty old and small. Average community, no mansions, etc. Just really expensive.

Connecticut has perpetuated the myth that they have fantastic schools, so people pay exorbitant amounts to live in dumpy towns and pay outrageous property taxes.

You're right on both of those things. Standard of living is really high. And they do always say how good the schools are... in fact my professor (employed by the government) says we have good education and he trashed other states... basically bragging. He also said people who want lower taxes don't know what they're talking about. He's a statist fool. I learned more on the internet than in the government schools.

SamuraisWisdom
09-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Actually 90k is a lot so long as you live within your means. I live here too remember ;) And actually, CT does have very good schools. We consistently rank among the highest in the nation. In fact, if you get a teaching liscence in this state you can teach anywhere in the country except Massachusetts. But public schools aren't the reason state taxes are so damn high or that property values are through the roof. Keep in mind CT was (until very recently) the state with the highest income per capita. We basically have all the millionares who work in New York City but don't want to live there. So the state figures 'tax the rich' which apparently means everybody and of course if the people have all this money than clearly than can afford a 350k house no problem. I can't wait to move out of here lol.