PDA

View Full Version : Organizing the PERMANENT NC C4L Chapter

GunnyFreedom
09-17-2008, 03:55 AM
From Glen Bradley

OK Ladies and Gents,

According to what we were told at the C4L leadership summit, one of our first requirements going forward will be to hold a mass meeting (like a State Convention) and come up with elected officers, bylaws, and a plan of organization.

I'm looking at Chapter 17 section 53 of my handy-dandy copy of Robert's Rules of Order, and it appears that we have some guidelines in place for accomplishing this task.

My only real concern will be securing the venue. I have no concept of how many people we will have attending, how much space we will need, how much it will cost, etc.

We need to contact every C4L member in the State of NC and set up a mass meeting. We need a Parliamentarian to chair the meeting, a temporary rules committee (rules for this meeting only), a bylaws committee, and a plan of organization committee, and maybe, just maybe a resolutions committee to draft some sort of agenda for the next 6-12 months.

I am now looking at section 54 of ROR: "Organization of a Permanent Society" for the guidelines. Para 35 states: "When it is desired to form a permanent society, the organizers proceed in much the same way as for a mass meeting, except that the meetings while the organization is being formed should usually be carefully limited to persons whose interest in the project is known."

At some point during this meeting, a resolution should be adopted to form the permanent organization (in this case, the North Carolina Campaign For Liberty) followed by the adoption of bylaws and the signing of membership.

I am hoping that the national C4L org will have a ready set of bylaws that we can basically adopt as-is aside from some minor cosmetic adjustments for our state org, and then we can debate and adopt some basic resolutions according to the plan laid out (in skeletal form) at the C4L leadership summit in St. Paul.

Then we will need to elect permanent officers, and recess to enroll members throughout the state of NC.

If anybody has a copy of ROR handy, please read over sections 53 and 54 and provide input here.

Our first first task, I think, will be identifying 'persons whose interest in the project is known,' and inviting them to the meeting, getting an RSVP head-count, and then securing a venue and raising the funds to pay for said venue.

I want to get moving on this sooner than later. NC should be a national leader in the C4L effort. We have a very friendly GOP org towards our goal (in most - certainly not all - counties) and the sooner we get this business of affiliation with National out of the way, the sooner we can get to filling our ranks with people to prime the pump into the February 2009 Convention cycle.

I have a completely arbitrary goal of bringing in 500 new C4L people into the Convention cycle by February, which I think will put C4L people in most Counties, Districts, and the State Chair THIS YEAR a full 2 years ahead of schedule for taking over 65% of the NC GOP establishment.

We can certainly be a national leader in the C4L effort here in NC, but we need to get moving NOW.

Ad-hoc C4L 2nd District Coordinator (pro-tem)

GunnyFreedom
09-17-2008, 05:24 AM
every single North Carolinian interested in the C4L needs to see this and let me/us know if they plan to participate. As it stands, I am awaiting quotes on a venue for between 50 to 75 persons in the Burlington area. Once I get the quote, I should be able to figgure how to split the tab. IE if we get 60 people, it will break down to $X.XX each.

I am still waiting to hear back from several sources. If anybody else has good or inexpensive venue ideas, I'd like to hear those too.

Ex Post Facto
09-17-2008, 11:12 PM
So who is invited to this initiative? I'd love to help. Let me know what you may need done. While I'm in the Concord area, I also work for a hotel with convention space big enough to accomodate any size gathering. Let me know what skills are needed and I will let you know if I can help.

My strengths are:
-Project Management
-Policy Development
-Legal Research (although I'm not an attorney-just a hobby)

Ex Post Facto
09-17-2008, 11:17 PM
BTW a cheap way to do it is to rent a private dining room, at some joint. Generally, they give you the room free if you have enough people and agree to buy food. Just an idea, depending on the size of this mini convention.

Matt Collins
09-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Yes - a lot of restaurants have a back room they will give you for free if you have enough people guaranteed to show up.

Last night we used Constitution Day as an excuse to hold a state wide Ron Paul supporters meeting here in Nashville. We had a good 45 people or so show up. I would like to get organized but at this point we are again waiting on the national organization to give us organizational structural information specifically by-laws, and a constitution. Hopefully October that will be out.

GunnyFreedom
09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
So who is invited to this initiative? I'd love to help. Let me know what you may need done. While I'm in the Concord area, I also work for a hotel with convention space big enough to accomodate any size gathering. Let me know what skills are needed and I will let you know if I can help.

My strengths are:
-Project Management
-Policy Development
-Legal Research (although I'm not an attorney-just a hobby)

As it stands, my preference would be to have 1 per county (100) plus 1 per district (13) plus 1 State and 1 At-Large (2) to make a total of 115 attendees; but I am not sure that all of these people will show up, nor am I sure we even have contact with every county to let them know we are having such a meeting.

On the bright side, it has become apparent that we will be allowed to form the thing via meeting over the internet without needing an expnsive venue at all. However, I still far far prefer meeting in person quite frankly. As far as venues go, some of our membership have offered free conference rooms at churches, and others have suggested free rooms at libraries.

As for you, it appears that you live in CD-8, Cabarrus County, and your district coordinator is Mr Thomas Hill. I don't have his contact info at this time, but if you e-mail garyhardee@carolina.rr.com and tell him Glen Bradley sent you, he will put you in contact.

BTW - are you familiar with a fellow named Jerry Leonard? He attended the 2008 Convention cycle with us from Cabarrus County this year. I don't actually know if he is active currently or not.

Matt Collins
09-18-2008, 09:06 PM
See this thread:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=156344

Ex Post Facto
09-18-2008, 09:15 PM
As it stands, my preference would be to have 1 per county (100) plus 1 per district (13) plus 1 State and 1 At-Large (2) to make a total of 115 attendees; but I am not sure that all of these people will show up, nor am I sure we even have contact with every county to let them know we are having such a meeting.

On the bright side, it has become apparent that we will be allowed to form the thing via meeting over the internet without needing an expnsive venue at all. However, I still far far prefer meeting in person quite frankly. As far as venues go, some of our membership have offered free conference rooms at churches, and others have suggested free rooms at libraries.

As for you, it appears that you live in CD-8, Cabarrus County, and your district coordinator is Mr Thomas Hill. I don't have his contact info at this time, but if you e-mail garyhardee@carolina.rr.com and tell him Glen Bradley sent you, he will put you in contact.

BTW - are you familiar with a fellow named Jerry Leonard? He attended the 2008 Convention cycle with us from Cabarrus County this year. I don't actually know if he is active currently or not.

Hmm...I don't know who Jerry Leonard is. However, upon opening my e-mail today it's flooded with e-mail from him. I don't know how he got my e-mail though.

Kotin
09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Godspeed, Gunny Freedom!

:D