PDA

View Full Version : Non-Republicans voting in the Republican Primary

Exponent
05-15-2007, 10:16 PM
I am noticing a common theme around the internet, that a lot of Republicans are getting annoyed at all the (alleged) non-Republicans intruding into their debate and discussion, as if their opinion doesn't matter, since only (die-hard?) Republicans should be voting in their primary. However, in at least some states (I don't know how many), primaries are open, and which party you are registered with doesn't matter. In these states, I am wondering how many people who would typically vote in the Democratic primary are considering voting in the Republican primary, and letting the Democratic primary go its own way?

I am thinking very strongly that I will do this (and am one who would indeed normally vote Democrat). Whoever gets the Democratic nomination would be someone to at least consider in my mind, so however that goes, I don't care as much. I still care, but it's nothing compared to the Republican primary. I can't really stand many of the other Republican candidates, but Ron is awesome, and I want to do what I can to give him a real chance.

Do you think that the Republicans will be surprised by lots of non-Republican voters "intruding" in their primary who normally wouldn't? Or do you think that only the usual people will vote in the Republican primary, with Independents, Libertarians, Democrats, and other parties mostly staying out of it?

jimmyjamsslo
05-15-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm in California, so I re-registered as a Republican to give my vote to Dr. Paul in the primaries. Apparently, in California, Republicans can cross-vote in the primaries, but Democrats and Independents cannot. I got this information from the Charlie Rose show, since I couldn't find any clear answers on the web about this issue. I even checked the Secretary of State's web site.

Jimmy

MsDoodahs
05-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm struggling with the whole voting thing.

I was told that I have to be registered 30 days before the election in order to vote.

So I have some time yet before I decide.

billv
05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm a member of the Constitution party currently but I will switch in time to vote for Ron Paul as a candidate.

Gabecpa
05-15-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm in Minnesota and we have open primaries, so I, along with as many people I can drag with, will go to the Republican Primary for PAul.

JoshLowry
05-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Good on all of you. Who cares what a few die hards think.

Ron Paul stands for classic conservative values that the Republican used to stand for. He is a true American.

axiomata
05-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Here is a useful site: http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/paag.phtml

If you scroll down to your state, and click the Republican link, it brings you to a page with information on your state's primary. You can then see whether your state's primary is open or closed and you can get more information on what that all means exactly.

Brandybuck
05-16-2007, 12:33 AM
The purpose of the primary is to select a candidate who can win the general election. This means the GOP needs to select someone who appeals to more than just registered Republicans. And vice versa for the Democrats. The traditional tactic has been to find someone who will move to the middle and attract some voters from the other side.

But now we have a chance to do vote for someone other than the big government centrist! Ron Paul is showing that he can attract support from all corners. The small government meme is transcending the traditional left/right split. He's attracting both economic libertarians and civil libertarians, classic liberals and classic conservatives, hippies and rednecks.

If the GOP as an organization backs Ron Paul, then he can win.

Hancock1776
05-16-2007, 05:03 AM
Fortunately in Indiana you don't need to register. You just come in to the polls and ask for a particular ballot.

tsoldrin
05-17-2007, 12:33 AM
I think the Republican Party has been hemoraging voters since George Bush started his campaign against freedom and they've barely squeaked by with pressing harder to turn out more voters... the biggest surprise will be people who have fled in disgust returning to the fold. The minor surprise will be drawing folks from all over the political spectrum... and let's face it, only Ron Paul can do that.

Bruehound
05-17-2007, 05:58 AM
Equally as important at this early date is actually getting involved in your local GOP organization. Call your most local Republican organization and attend their meetings and volunteer to be a precinct worker NOW! Convincing Republican grassroots activists to support Dr. Paul will have a multiplier effect as precinct level workers can influence many others. These are people motivated by ideology and many feel betrayed by the Neos.

All the success in the world of the internet is very important but it is, in the end, a limited and narrow demographic. Always bear in mind Ron Paul will underpoll in national polling(Gallop, Zogby etc) because much of his current support is coming from outside traditional GOP primary voters and national polls take their sample from "likely Republican primary voters"---those with a documented history of voting in GOP primaries.

It is imperative that we direct a high level of effort to real world interaction with GOP voters to raise national polling to levels where future debate exclusion efforts will be untenable.

jonpz
05-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Here is a useful site: http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/paag.phtml

If you scroll down to your state, and click the Republican link, it brings you to a page with information on your state's primary. You can then see whether your state's primary is open or closed and you can get more information on what that all means exactly.

Colorado is not on this list... anyone know the procedure here in CO?

vertesc
05-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Agreed - the other 9 candidates are too close to Bush's position to draw any support outside of the 24% of Americans left in his favor. Ron Paul's positions make the "South Park Republican" demographic, and his political history is better than any candidate on either side (except perhaps Obama, but he's too new to politics to have much history!).

Paul really CAN be a bi-partisan winner in a general election. It's the Republican primary though, that's going to be a bitch.

mdh
05-17-2007, 08:11 PM
I wholly agree with vertesc regarding the generals being a good chance for victory if we can make it past the R primaries.
I'm registered Libertarian in WV, but from what I understand, I can vote in R primary here. It's going to be weird - it's been a bunch of years since I voted for a Republican!

jon_perez
05-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Some would say that Republicans have strayed towards big government ever since Reagan came to be President even as Reagan supposedly struggled to dismantle Democrat-instituted government structures.

Republicanism during the 60s - when Barry Goldwater ran against Lyndon B. Johnson - is said to be closer to Libertarian principles which is why Ron Paul finds it justified to be running under the Republican banner.

thuja
05-18-2007, 05:50 AM
i don't get it, it seems that the "what will they think of me" thing enters in, and i thought votes were in private. Meaning that protocol, or rules are more important that voting for the person you know is right. This business of registering as one party or another does not help.As you see, i am new to voting and do not want to follow th rules. I just know i will be proud to be an American again if Ron Paul wins.

CurtisLow
05-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Was Green now Republican after the election I think I'll change to Constitution party.

Man, I feel like a cameleon. lol

ksuguy
05-25-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm currently registered as a libertarian, but I'll be switching to the republican party just so I can vote for Ron Paul in the primary.

I don't know how much good it will do though. Kansas has a small number of delegates and our primary is held late and sometimes not even held at all. It's usually all over by the time Kansas primary voters get to do anything.

Brandybuck
05-25-2007, 12:48 AM
I need to remember to re-register as a Republican. Most people already think I am, since I find it nearly impossible to utter to word "Democrat" without the traditional "damned-" prefix. But the Libertarian Party has had me yawning for years. Maybe it's time to join the Republicans and support the RLC.

Pizza God
05-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Cool, Texas has an open primary. I can vote Republican without doing anything. However, if it will help, I will do what ever I have to do to get Ron voted in.

heiwa
06-01-2007, 03:10 AM
I'm going to register as a Republican. I've never registered as anything before.

Here's my logic.

Dr. Paul is a registerd Republican.
I agree with his philosophies.
Since he is a Republican he must have Republican philosophies.
Since I agree with his philosphies I must be a Republican.

How's that? :D

Jen the Republican

p.s. I was trying to convince two young Gen X friends to go to the Iowa Straw Poll, but I told them we would have to wear disguises because no one would believe that we were Republicans. I keep seeing that scene from "The Body Snatchers" where the pod people discover real humans and surround them with mouths agape and pointing fingers. This is not a slander against Republicans, but a comment on how nervous I feel about being overtly political. God Bless Ron Paul for giving me the opportunity for new experiences!

John Quincy Adams II
08-06-2007, 12:26 AM
I am a registered democrat in ohio, my dad was a UAW man so i came out of highchool that way then Clinton signed nafta and i didn't vote for him the second time. I voted for Pat. Buchanan and that makes the only two times i voted for pres. i vote, just not for president. i don't pick the lesser of two evils. i vote no new taxes. i called the county election board and they told me all i had to do was go to the primary and ask for a republican ballot. then i guess that would make me republican. so thats the word i been spreading if any one knows better voice it please. the last two elections i been waiting for a ron paul and what ever he is thats what i am. i never had a candidate that i had 95% common ground with before. if he falls out any time i will not even vote. i just don't understand what people are thinking to like anybody else.