PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul receives 6th place at South Dakota state fair straw poll

transistor
09-04-2007, 04:19 PM
:( who are all these Thompson voters? ugh...

Thompson 25%
Giuliani 19%
McCain 14%
Huckabee 13%
Romney 13%
Paul 8%
Hunter 4%
Brownback 3%
Tancredo 1%

Thompson wins SD Straw Poll

HURON – Fred Thompson won the first-ever South Dakota Republican Party Presidential Straw Poll at the South Dakota State Fair Aug. 30 through Sept. 3, 2007.

Thompson bested the field of nine garnering 25 percent of the vote. He was followed by Rudy Giuliani who received 19 percent; John McCain received 14 percent, Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney each received 13 percent; Ron Paul received 8 percent; Duncan Hunter received 4 percent; Sam Brownback received 3 percent; and Tom Tancredo received 1 percent of the vote.

More than 500 people voted in the poll which was conducted at the South Dakota State Fair. Voting was open to anyone who will be 18 by the June 3, 2008, primary.

“We had a phenomenal response from the voters in South Dakota,” said South Dakota Republican Party Executive Director Max Wetz. “This was a unique opportunity for voters to support their favorite candidate and we are very pleased with the turnout.”

LibertyEagle
09-04-2007, 04:22 PM
It's ok. It just means we have work to do.

ONWARD!!!

Kuldebar
09-04-2007, 04:22 PM
There's like six people who live in South Dakota, we probably should have had more presence there... ;)

But, name recognition is everything. And, then the message.

itsnobody
09-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Woah thats horrific, oh well...

dseisner
09-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Where were the South Dakotans on this one?? Poor showing.

transistor
09-04-2007, 04:26 PM
if the fair was held in Sioux Falls or Rapid City, i'm sure Ron Paul would have done better... unfortunately, it was held in Huron which insures that it is visted only by farmers

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-04-2007, 04:30 PM
We're still at the top of the 2nd tier.

I don't know why McAmnesty is still getting votes. I saw my former state senator at the post office a few minutes ago with a McCain sticker on his car. He looked up, down and sideways at my magnetic signs and Google Ron Paul rear window. I almost feel sorry for McCainicans.

paulitics
09-04-2007, 04:30 PM
well, look at how terrible Romney did with only 13%, on the heels of his Iowa victory. McCain is an anomoly. South Dakota, like Iowa, is not a strong state for RP. There are many others that can be though.

Madison
09-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Thompson is the man to beat right now.

ghemminger
09-04-2007, 04:34 PM
I though South Dakota was in Canada?

JC StyLEE
09-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Just wait for the next quarters numbers to come out. Ron is going to unleash the demon within. I CAN'T WAIT to see how much he has in the bank. Then, he will really be a force to be reckoned with, and people will really get to know who this guy really is. Much love everyone....keep fighting the good fight.

njandrewg
09-04-2007, 04:38 PM
persoanlly I don't count state fair straw polls...they are useless, the people who show up there, are the same people who are reperesented in the telephone polls.

These people may vote here on passerby, but when primaries roll around they won't go out of their way to vote.

ghemminger
09-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Just wait for the next quarters numbers to come out. Ron is going to unleash the demon within. I CAN'T WAIT to see how much he has in the bank. Then, he will really be a force to be reckoned with, and people will really get to know who this guy really is. Much love everyone....keep fighting the good fight.

Ron PAul Tripple Power up with Invinsible Shield!!!

skiingff
09-04-2007, 04:40 PM
South Dakota, like Iowa, is not a strong state for RP. There are many others that can be though.

That's not true -- the very latest poll, released a few days ago, shows Paul at 3% in Iowa -- same number as Paul in New Hampshire. We *CAN* compete in Iowa, all Iowans want is our time and attention... as long as Ron Paul gives Iowa the attention it wants, Iowa will give Paul the votes he needs.

ghemminger
09-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah Iowa seems pretty fair

RockEnds
09-04-2007, 04:44 PM
I would think Ron Paul would go over better in the Hills. Anyone remember Sue? I lived in Hill City for awhile. The feds stormed the town and took Sue. It was quite an ordeal. I didn't live there at the time, but people are still angry about it.

http://www.wmnh.com/wmssz000.htm

libertarian4321
09-05-2007, 05:43 AM
who are all these Thompson voters? ugh..

Well, all it took was 125 voters for Thompson to pull 25%- this poll was miniscule in size- a few big farm families show up and vote for Thompson, and he wins.

LibertyEagle
09-05-2007, 07:12 AM
That's not true -- the very latest poll, released a few days ago, shows Paul at 3% in Iowa -- same number as Paul in New Hampshire. We *CAN* compete in Iowa, all Iowans want is our time and attention... as long as Ron Paul gives Iowa the attention it wants, Iowa will give Paul the votes he needs.

Yeah well, we're running out of time. If he limits himself to campaigning only on weekends, how is he going to spend enough time in New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina? He needs to get to each of these places and spend some time there.

Madison
09-05-2007, 07:16 AM
persoanlly I don't count state fair straw polls...they are useless, the people who show up there, are the same people who are reperesented in the telephone polls.

These people may vote here on passerby, but when primaries roll around they won't go out of their way to vote.

Maybe not, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they do all plan to vote and there is a very high turnout next year...even in the primaries...since right now virtually everyone hates Bush and a reasonable amount of people have some sense of urgency in regards to the state of our nation right now...even though the MSM pretends everything is fine, people know better (never-ending war, open borders, impending collapse of the dollar)...

BuddyRey
09-05-2007, 07:21 AM
We're still at the top of the 2nd tier.

I don't know why McAmnesty is still getting votes. I saw my former state senator at the post office a few minutes ago with a McCain sticker on his car. He looked up, down and sideways at my magnetic signs and Google Ron Paul rear window. I almost feel sorry for McCainicans.

I may be wrong, but I'll bet most of the folks who like McCain think they're pulling for the "2000 McCain" instead of the butchered caricature running in '08.

Bossobass
09-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Sixth place isn't the top of any tier, it's utter defeat.

If we couldn't get 200 people to vote for RP then kiss S. Dakota goodbye.

I'm certainly not gonna try to spin 6th place (behaind a bad actor who hadn't even declared) to be anything good. We have enough organization to beat TV name recognition at some podunk state fair...or we don't. It's just that simple.

Nothing but this little straw poll to even address in S. Dak. in the last 6 months, so no excuse as to why there weren't more RP votes, other than the fact that there aren't any RP supporters in SD.

If we publically downplay these defeats, it sends the message that these sorts of things don't really matter. They do in fact matter. If RP had won by a wide margin, we'd all be singing the praises of the win. That's as it should be, but 6th place behind these lame-a$$ opponents is a defeat...period. Trying to spin that is pathetic.

Bosso

speciallyblend
09-05-2007, 07:54 AM

I'm certainly not gonna try to spin 6th place (behaind a bad actor who hadn't even declared) to be anything good. We have enough organization to beat TV name recognition at some podunk state fair...or we don't. It's just that simple.

Nothing but this little straw poll to even address in S. Dak. in the last 6 months, so no excuse as to why there weren't more RP votes, other than the fact that there aren't any RP supporters in SD.

If we publically downplay these defeats, it sends the message that these sorts of things don't really matter. They do in fact matter. If RP had won by a wide margin, we'd all be singing the praises of the win. That's as it should be, but 6th place behind these lame-a$$ opponents is a defeat...period. Trying to spin that is pathetic.

Bosso

even straw poll victorys arent really vistorys just something more to build on.

i wouldnt panic over south dakota,the main goal is spreading the message and if we do this in bigger states,eventually the media and RP will have ads and they wil lreach alot more people,we are just building support,so keep working

Badger Paul
09-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Only 500 people voted at a State Fair in a Republican state and the state GOP chairman thinks that's a great response? Who is he kidding?

Original_Intent
09-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Was this a free straw poll or did people have to pay to vote?

The reason I ask is if it was free this is about as meaningless as a phone poll, there was no effort required "Oh, look honey, a straw poll! Let's vote!" Would most of these people get off the sofa and vote in a primary? Who knows.

Definitely would have been nice to do better, but this still is far above the "scientific" poll numbers.

Badger Paul
09-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Actually sixth isn't bad when you consider we hardly have any meetup groups or any organized groups in South Dakota and unlike Maryland there wasn't an organized effort to get RP supporters to the fair and vote for him.

Some other news, RP finished fifth with 500 votes at the Minnesota State Fair Straw Poll.

fj45lvr
09-05-2007, 09:34 AM
The only way Paul can win is hopefully the guys ahead of hime split the vote enough. It looks pretty bleak especially when nationwide so little people have ever even heard of him (and those that have think he is a "truther" because of the yellow journalism).....reality sucks.....

REVOLUTION needs to have more meaning.

jpa
09-05-2007, 09:46 AM
do they have the internet in south dakota?

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Who gives a Flying F**k about South Dakota. Take a look at Maryland. Have'nt looked at a map lately, but Maryland is closer to New Hampshire than South Dakota.New Hampshire is the State with double cheese. And for all you South Dakotans' who didn't vote, you may be able to herd sheep and cattle, but you cant darn dern herd them dag nabbin CATS.

Revolution9
09-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Well..The chickenshit needs to climb into the ring instead of blustering from the floor about how much ass he is gonna kick. Someone needs to write a good article about how he is afraid of scrutiny because it will sink his phony ass. Townhall would be a good place to stir up some shinola at.

Randy

hannahfnord
09-05-2007, 10:37 AM
A few things about South Dakota:
1. there are around 700,000 people TOTAL in South Dakota, a state that's 400 miles across.
2. east of the Missouri, they're farmers (vote for the subsidies). west of it, they're ranchers (vote for hands-off gov't). The state fair is way east.
3. most young people who spend any time thinking leave the state as soon as they can (I'm exhibit A here)

LibertyEagle
09-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Bosso

I agree, Bosso.

Ozwest
09-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah sure, Have either of you been to South Dakota before? I dont mean that disrespectfully. But reply.

transistor
09-05-2007, 10:47 AM
do they have the internet in south dakota?

south dakota is considered the most wired state in the US.. don't you feel like an idiot now?

transistor
09-05-2007, 10:48 AM
A few things about South Dakota:
1. there are around 700,000 people TOTAL in South Dakota, a state that's 400 miles across.
2. east of the Missouri, they're farmers (vote for the subsidies). west of it, they're ranchers (vote for hands-off gov't). The state fair is way east.
3. most young people who spend any time thinking leave the state as soon as they can (I'm exhibit A here)

most young people leave the state because of the lack of jobs... i left the state after college and i am desperately trying to return

kylebrotherton
09-05-2007, 01:32 PM

Thompson's record will take care of that.

And, as far as these state fair polls go, I wouldn't worry too much. Many fair-goers are also displaying/showing animals or working there. They are camped out at the fair for the whole week. They attend every day and can possibly cast at least one vote per day. Also, the booth worker shifts are usually half or one third day shifts. So, unless they demand ID, or dye your finger purple, you could conceivably vote up to three times per day. The goal of the straw poll is to engage Republicans at the booth, not to accurately gauge voter preference.

jpa
09-05-2007, 01:54 PM
south dakota is considered the most wired state in the US.. don't you feel like an idiot now?

Whats with the personal attacks?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/2007-06-25-net-speeds_N.htm
2nd to last in broadband

Near the bottom in internet access in 2002
http://www.neweconomyindex.org/states/2002/04_digital_02.html