PDA

View Full Version : I'm bailing out - stocking on food, silver/gold bars and emptying my bank account

anarchy
09-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Anyone know which foods to buy that are best for survival? Red beans etc?
I'm renting a truck tomorrow to mass hoard - I rather be first in line.

FrankRep
09-16-2008, 05:13 PM
eFoodsDirect - Emergency Storable Food Supply for Disasters

http://www.efoodsdirect.com/

This company seems pretty good.

UnReconstructed
09-16-2008, 05:14 PM
why

edit: I'd suggest mountain house foods http://www.mountainhouse.com/

Kludge
09-16-2008, 05:16 PM

Cowlesy purchased from there. Might be worth your time to send him a PM.

RickyJ
09-16-2008, 05:16 PM

The first in line for the next Y2K rip off. :D

If the shit does hit the fan no amount of preparations will help you out much. You gain maybe a month or so, if even that, then you will be in the same boat everyone else is in. A one year supply of food won't last a year. Reason? Your hungry neighbors won't allow you to eat it all yourself.

Kludge
09-16-2008, 05:17 PM

If the shit does hit the fan no amount of preparations will help you out much. You gain maybe a month or so, if even that, then you will be in the same boat everyone else is in. A year's supply of food won't last a year. Reason? Your hungry neighbors won't yo to eat it all yourself.

That's why you stock up on ammo too.

Misers FTW.

ShowMeLiberty
09-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Misers FTW.

lol - but oh so true.

anarchy- check out some of the threads in the Freedom Living subforum (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65). I'm sure you'll find good info there.

Josh_LA
09-16-2008, 05:22 PM

I knew s omebody was going to post this.

whatever you can get your hands on at any local store is fine, think affordability, fast and prefered to your taste.

jkm1864
09-16-2008, 05:24 PM
I bought about a years supply of dry goods in sealed buckets instead of that prepackaged crap. I don't care if I am eating mountain house pre-packaged food or beans and rice. The way I look at it if it gets to the point where I need to eat it I'll be glad just to have food. Dry goods are alot cheaper but You will have to actually prepare You're meals....

I bought grain, rice, beans, and other dried goods at www.Homegrownharvest.com

its alot cheaper and to be honest 1 person only needs about 3 buckets of wheat to live for a year...... Now buckets of wheat are about 60 dollars for one 6 gallon bucket .... Now You will be eating tortillas but oh well atleast You can put some beans and rice on it

Razmear
09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Your average canned goods will last several years beyond the "expiration date". Don't waste your money on fancy survival food or MRE's (which taste like shit anyways), and just stock up on a good variety of cheap canned foods.
If the cans start to swell, get rid of them, until then you should be safe.
Regarding silver and gold, if the shit does truly hit the fan, a can of beef ravioli will be far more valuable than an ounce of gold or silver.
And yes, stock up on ammo, and perhaps a good watch dog.

eb

pacelli
09-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Eat what you stock, stock what you eat. Think about that. In a survival situation, your body will become extremely sick if you are not eating things you are used to eating.

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-16-2008, 06:44 PM
My God, I see the AIG Insurance Company might be the next to go. Is this the beginning of the end game? Is it already too late or should we still try to wake people up? It's getting to the point where we ought to leaflet on the Fed outside Wal-Marts and grocery stores if that's what it takes to pry eyes open.

pacelli
09-16-2008, 06:48 PM
My God, I see the AIG Insurance Company might be the next to go. Is this the beginning of the end game? Is it already too late or should we still try to wake people up? It's getting to the point where we ought to leaflet on the Fed outside Wal-Marts and grocery stores if that's what it takes to pry eyes open.

We've been trying to wake people up for years. It's time to take care of ourselves. If AIG goes, expect some major shake-ups in the economic world.

Deborah K
09-16-2008, 06:49 PM

Actually, this isn't such a bad idea.

RonPaulVolunteer
09-16-2008, 06:53 PM

If the shit does hit the fan no amount of preparations will help you out much. You gain maybe a month or so, if even that, then you will be in the same boat everyone else is in. A one year supply of food won't last a year. Reason? Your hungry neighbors won't allow you to eat it all yourself.

I have a years supply of food, and silver, and I have skills that will still be needed, and I am part of a farm-share.

I will be fine.

Ninja Homer
09-16-2008, 06:55 PM

I'm stocking up on ammo. In case I need food, what's your address? :D

1. joking
2. making an important point

RonPaulVolunteer
09-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Regarding silver and gold, if the shit does truly hit the fan, a can of beef ravioli will be far more valuable than an ounce of gold or silver.

Sorry, history proves you VERY wrong. Silver has always been money. In a hyper-inflation depression, that one oz of silver will likely buy you ten cans of beef ravioli, or more.

Smart people have been stockpiling food. Crops will still grow. Food won't be as scarce as you think, it is money that will be scarce.

Razmear
09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Sorry, history proves you VERY wrong. Silver has always been money. In a hyper-inflation depression, that one oz of silver will likely buy you ten cans of beef ravioli, or more.

Smart people have been stockpiling food. Crops will still grow. Food won't be as scarce as you think, it is money that will be scarce.

In the first few months this will likely be true, however if there is a long term meltdown, I'm talking years of chaos, a pound of meat or salt will be worth far more than a pound of silver.

To the OP, also consider getting yourself a few goats, they can usually be had for under $50 each, produce better milk than cows, will eat just about anything, and taste great curried.

eb

Dequeant
09-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Stock up on silver and gold, emphasis on silver. I say emphasis on silver since you'll need small sum currency. You can't go buying rice with a gold coin.....because you can't just cut slivers of gold off the coin to make change with. Silver dollars will be good currency to have.

Also........ammo. Make sure you have a .22 LR caliber rifle and thousands of rounds. Food should be less of an issue if you do have a rifle such as that.

Also (and even more important than food) is water purification equipment. Its good to keep a stock of about a month's supply of water + water purification equipment with additional filters.

RonPaulVolunteer
09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
In the first few months this will likely be true, however if there is a long term meltdown, I'm talking years of chaos, a pound of meat or salt will be worth far more than a pound of silver.

To the OP, also consider getting yourself a few goats, they can usually be had for under $50 each, produce better milk than cows, will eat just about anything, and taste great curried.

eb

I think the longer it goes, the more valuable silver ill be in fact, as more and more turn back to the land, there will be an increase in available food, not a decrease. There will be vastly more people to work the land, and more land will be turned into crops. A depression won't mean no food, just food for those that can afford it. Have silver.

Alawn
09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
If you can I would suggest ordering from here: http://www.efoodsdirect.com/
The food is super high quality and it comes with everything you need. The one year supply is best. Or you can get a two month supply instead if you want less. The prices are actually really cheap and a lot less than you would spend over a year to buy the same food. It lasts over a decade.

JK/SEA
09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Also, as a back up to your stock pile, i'd recommend this book:

THE FORAGERS HARVEST by Samuel Thayer

james1844
09-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Don't do it, buy some quality stocks and bonds at cheap prices.

anaconda
09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I've only got $8 in my bank account.

anarchy
09-16-2008, 08:23 PM

eb

lmao @ curied

hopeforamerica
09-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Also suggest efoods direct. Good company, quality food.

max
09-16-2008, 08:37 PM
if the shit hits the fan we'll be in FEMA camps...3 hots and a cot

HVACTech
09-16-2008, 08:41 PM
food is not all that hard to come by, what will be important are things you cannot make or kill for yourself. toothpaste, toilet paper, spices, cooking oil, Q tips. etc, and a word to the wise, ninja homer is right on the money......if this really happens...it will not be the gov't you have to defend yourself against......it will be your nieghbors......

misericordia
09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
I threw a mouldy cucumber in the garden and it grew 100 little cucs, so there's a cheap way to get seeds... also plant sprouted potatoes, (cut 1 inch aound the sprout), garlic and onions.

puppetmaster
09-16-2008, 09:18 PM
I still think they have to crash our dollar and make us hungry so we will accept the NAU and the AMERO...this is how they sell it to the American people...

jcarcinogen
09-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Learn to grow or make friends with people that can, go rural... bread lines were in cities (easily controlled).

The Swiss frank seems good but I don't know, I'm looking myself. Is it silver backed? Because I do not trust the Warren Buffet influence or the fact that silver is used in electronics and a lot of the world's 'recycled pc's etc' are sent to China.

klamath
09-16-2008, 09:35 PM
I would check put prices at resteurant supply stores. They sell a lot of bulk items for a lot lower prices.

Mahkato
09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/index.php

Knightskye
09-16-2008, 10:12 PM

They have stuff with "Liberty" and "Freedom" in the name. That's pretty funny.

$1,682 for a year. Why does that sound like a bargain?

RonPaulVolunteer
09-16-2008, 10:27 PM
They have stuff with "Liberty" and "Freedom" in the name. That's pretty funny.

$1,682 for a year. Why does that sound like a bargain?

Um, I spent $300 inc shipping for a years supply of food.