PDA

View Full Version : What if we held a counter-election?

Gin
09-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Glen Litsinger <kosmikkid@comcast.net> wrote:

This is just a trial balloon... who thinks this idea could fly? If it can fly, is it a good idea or not? I'm open to all comments, positive and negative.

Ron Paul's very successful counter-convention was blissfully ignored by the MSM, for the most part, but it gave me an idea. It seems like it would be fairly easy to organize a counter-election to take place alongside the Duopoly Charade known as the Presidential Election in November.

Here's the basic idea:

1. Vote by internet.
2. Vote for Campaign for Liberty presidential candidates only.
3. Allow voters to vote for vice presidential candidates of other parties, as in the original Constitution.
4. Charge each voter some minimum amount to participate (bear with me on this!).

The goals:
1. Allow voters nationwide to symbolically express their frustration with the DemoPublican non-choice.
2. Accurately assess the potential strength of third parties going forward.
3. Raise money for liberty-oriented organizations for educational purposes.

Of course there would be immediate concerns about hacking, ineligible voters voting etc. I'm no expert but it seems like it would be pretty easy to minimize those problems with existing software.

Also, by charging voters to participate we would be asking for a credit card or paypal account, which would serve to partially verify the voter's citizenship and that they're at least 18.

This would be a non-profit operation, with any surplus money after expenses donated to organizations such as the Mises Institute, Antiwar.com, and other worth pro-liberty organizations. Of course, their may be legal issues with this; is there a lawyer in the house? It would be crucial to advertise the "election" widely, but that would be the easiest part.

We have Meetup.com, Facebook, and all the other low cost internet social networks to tap into.

So, what do you think?

Glen L.
ronpaul-567@meetup.com

dannno
09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Best. Idea. Ever.

..except maybe the voting by internet part.. sorta takes the legitimacy out of it..

RockEnds
09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I am all for a counter election, but not on the internet and not for a fee. Not at all.

RockEnds
09-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I do fully support a counter-election as outlined by Dr. Paul in his press conference. I believe that would make a tremendous political statement, and I don't know why no one has gotten excited about it yet. There's no reason why people still couldn't vote in the regular election as well.

There is only one way that these issues can get the attention they deserve: the silent majority must become the vocal majority.

This message can be sent to our leaders by not participating in the Great Distraction—the quadrennial campaign and election of an American President without a choice. Just think of how much of an edge a Vice President has in this process, and he or she is picked by a single person—the party’s nominee. This was never intended by the Constitution.

Since a principled non-voter sends a message, we must count them and recognize the message they are sending as well. The non-voters need to hold their own “election” by starting a “League of Non-voters” and explain their principled reasons for opting out of this charade of the presidential elective process. They just might get a bigger membership than anyone would guess.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/022773.html#more
The link is to Lew Rockwell's blog, but it is a transcript of Dr. Paul's speech.

georgiaboy
09-16-2008, 01:11 PM
So RockEnds,
Can you put some additional words around what you think needs to be done to make Ron Paul's vision a reality?

What would the counter election look like, how would it be organized and implemented?

georgiaboy
09-16-2008, 01:11 PM
BTW, I think you're onto something here.

RockEnds
09-16-2008, 01:16 PM
So RockEnds,
Can you put some additional words around what you think needs to be done to make Ron Paul's vision a reality?

What would the counter election look like, how would it be organized and implemented?

Well, it's not that hard to put a box with some pencils and paper at various locations throughout the country. Time is an issue. Finding people who are interested is bigger issue. Writing the statement of principle and getting the word out would be the most difficult part.

I've no idea how many people would show. Maybe not many. Maybe, as Dr. Paul stated, more than anyone could imagine.

It would require alot of work in a short order.

georgiaboy
09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
wow, you're right, that's a lot of organizing. So you're talking paper ballots, pollwatchers?

Are you thinking people would have to be registered voters, or just 18+ years old, American citizens? Proof required?

what if we did it "American Idol" style, with either texting or 1-800 dialing? Again, proving people are who they say they are would be an issue.

Are you thinking it'd be the same date as the 'charade' election?

RockEnds
09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
wow, you're right, that's a lot of organizing. So you're talking paper ballots, pollwatchers?

Are you thinking people would have to be registered voters, or just 18+ years old, American citizens? Proof required?

what if we did it "American Idol" style, with either texting or 1-800 dialing? Again, proving people are who they say they are would be an issue.

Are you thinking it'd be the same date as the 'charade' election?

It would almost have to be the same date as the general election just because of momentum.

I have a high regard for paper ballots myself. This year's caucus results were different than this year's machine voting. I see no reason to give participants anything more than a blank piece of paper and a pencil, however. They should be provided with a list of candidates, but if they want to write in Santa Clause or submit an essay, I see no reason why they shouldn't.

As for voter eligibility, well, so many people have become disenfranchised for invalid reasons, I would really hesitate to disenfranchise anyone in a protest election. Making sure the ballot box isn't stuffed with repeated votes by counter-protesters would be a concern, however.

georgiaboy
09-16-2008, 01:55 PM
I wonder if we could get some major retail outlets, like Walmart/Sam's Club/Costco/Big Lots/Target/etc., to help organize, distribute, advertise, and administer this "Silent Majority Election"?

Seems like that's the kind of access we'd need to capture such a sizeable audience. And maybe instead of one day, it could run for a full week to make sure you captured as much of the population as possible.

This still doesn't account for those in hospitals, immobile elderly, etc.

Huge undertaking.

RockEnds
09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
I wonder if we could get some major retail outlets, like Walmart/Sam's Club/Costco/Big Lots/Target/etc., to help organize, distribute, advertise, and administer this "Silent Majority Election"?

Seems like that's the kind of access we'd need to capture such a sizeable audience. And maybe instead of one day, it could run for a full week to make sure you captured as much of the population as possible.

This still doesn't account for those in hospitals, immobile elderly, etc.

Huge undertaking.

Huge. But not any bigger than the organization it took to campaign across the country.