PDA

View Full Version : Need Help for a Friend

Ceos
09-16-2008, 11:00 AM
I have a friend of mine who I introduced John Gatto's work to. He agrees with it, but hes having a hard time convincing his wife to keep their kids out of public school.

His wife was raised in a strict Christian home, and believes that public school is "just a part of life". Anyone have advice I can give to him to help convince his wife? He doesn't believe that she'd read a book on it.

AisA1787
09-16-2008, 08:39 PM
The president of my graduating class in college (an extremely selective, nationally known college) was home schooled all the way through high school, Christian, and very religious. Nice guy, too.

I was also home schooled for a year in elementary school, but that doesn't really count :)

XNavyNuke
09-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Just my opinion. You friend may want to stop trying to convince his wife. My wife and I homeschool but it didn't start out that way. When we were dating her 4yo daughter was in daycare, she was an Ed major and I was working at a University. Obviously one of our discussions was the importance of education. Homeschooling was brought up as one possible options because I would occasionally mention how some of the research that I was doing at work had roots in something I had learned on my own during my childhood. Homeschooling was something that we were eventually led to. Even after we were married we tried a couple of private schools and public school for her daughter, it took time to realize that if education was so importanat to us that we needed to be in a position where we, as parents were in ultimate control. That led us to homeschooling.

What state does your friend live in?

XNN

Ceos
10-19-2008, 07:21 AM
He lives in Mississippi. And he dropped out of HS and got a GED because he saw how pointless it was. When I introduced him to Gatto's work, it was a lightbulb moment to him. He knew something fishy was up, and the book allowed to him finally nail it on the head.

Mississippi has the lowest spending per capita in the country on schools . Teachers barely make any more than minimum wage there. So wheres the motivation to teach if you barely make anything more than a burger flipper at Micky Ds?

He doesn't want to send his kids through the same wringer he went through.