PDA

View Full Version : ron Paul on Financial Aid

happyphilter
09-04-2007, 01:36 PM
One thing that really REALLY bothers me is Ron Pauls stance on ending federal programs. I am a college student, but could not afford to go to college without theses government programs. I am already in a lot of debt and wouldent even be able to pay it if I was working full time.
So what is Ron Paul going to do to help me get an affordable education?

FSP-Rebel
09-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Federal non-involvement would allow competition to drive the price of EDU down. Keep in mind, RP's plan to transition from government dependence to full independence could take a term or so. Plus, we'd all agree that if the money is spent, that it's better to spend it on a college student than buying bombs to kill people with.

Ridiculous
09-04-2007, 01:44 PM
If the income tax was eliminated and your parents made 30%+ more, would that be enough to put you through college?

Also, the market would take over and banks would want to make money by offering affordable loans. People have come to expect differed loans the market would fill that need at competitive rates. Banks would compete Banks already make the loans, they are just insured by the government. Sally Mae would be eliminated, but you don't have to get a loan from Sally Mae....

risiusj
09-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Don't forget that, on the state level, programs would be created to help us college kids. States want good economies, and they know that comes from education.

micahnelson
09-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Why should I pay for you to go to college? Why should you have to pay for my small business loan? How about you pay for your stuff, I pay for mine, and we keep the government out of it.

The reason education prices are so high is because of subsidy.

FSP-Rebel
09-04-2007, 01:52 PM
If the income tax was eliminated and your parents made 30%+ more, would that be enough to put you through college?

Also, companies would have more $$$ available to help their employees thru college. Or, companies would have more money to donate to scholarship foundations.

constituent
09-04-2007, 01:52 PM
yup... everytime the gov't announces that they are going to make more money available for "kids to go to school" through pell grants and student loans guess what happens...

universities raise their prices and eat up the money.

have you seen how much universities spend on recruitment these days versus actually providing programs to the students they already have?

CMoore
09-04-2007, 02:01 PM
This is so true. The cost of college is so high today that hardly anyone can just pay for it. This has come to pass because the colleges know they can charge so much more because the students can get government help. If students had to pay out of their own pockets, there would be no market for such expensive educations. Also before you accept that student loan, remember it CAN NOT be discharged in bankruptcy should you become sick or unable to work at some point in your career before you can pay it off. It is an insidious trap waiting to possibly spring on you.

Also think about it this way. What would happen to the price of cars if the government gave everyone $10K toward the purchase of a car? Same thing with education.

maiki
09-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm an international student, so I was not eligible for any federal aid. I got private loans and grants from my university, or I could have gone to my state college which would have been fully funded (state tuition wasn't too bad plus a merit scholarship). Also, things like credit unions and other private institutions are just *Begging* for the opportunity to give you low interest loans or scholarships. I see the ads all over. Some require a green card/citizenship to apply, which anyone who is applying for federal aid in the first place has.

The federal government is not the only place that gives you loans and scholarships, people. Most people "consolidate" their loans upon graduation anyway, which is just selling the debt to a private company anyway. Why not cut out the middle man?

Sematary
09-04-2007, 02:11 PM
One thing that really REALLY bothers me is Ron Pauls stance on ending federal programs. I am a college student, but could not afford to go to college without theses government programs. I am already in a lot of debt and wouldent even be able to pay it if I was working full time.
So what is Ron Paul going to do to help me get an affordable education?

The POINT of a Ron Paul presidency is to point out to everyone that the government (ie - the people) are not a free handout machine). It is not the job of the federal government to put you through school. There are state programs in place as well as the possibility of getting private funding for school loans. You can also apply for various scholarships through literally, thousands of organizations.

One of the biggest problems in this nation is that we (all of us) are selfish. We are hooked on the government and we love a guy like Ron Paul and support slashing taxes and cutting spending - UNTIL IT AFFECTS US. Then we change our tune. Well, we can't have it both ways.

Finally, the reason the cost of education is so high (and this has already been touched upon in this thread) is BECAUSE of the government. Without a necessity to keep rates competitive (because the government, ie - the people, will pay for it) the cost of education is abnormally high. They cram a 1000 students into an auditorium to hear a lecture from a guy who doesn't even know your name then charge you tens of thousands of dollars to pay for this "privilege".

And, as noted earlier, if you and your parents have 30% more of your income every week, won't that make it easier to pay for school?