PDA

View Full Version : DIGG FAST: Small l libertarian rising fast in Minnesota Senate Race!

libertythor
09-15-2008, 05:00 PM
http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Third_Party_Candidate_RISING_FAST_in_MN_Senate_Rac e

Here is his issues page. Also he has been endorsed by Jesse Ventura.

http://www.senatorbarkley.com/issues.htm

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I was happy to see this. Looks like a chunk of the people are tiring of the stupid Coleman-Franken mud slinging against each other. Dean Barkley isn't perfect, but he's head and shoulders above the chickenhawk Bush crony and the unexperienced, tax-evading comedian who wants to raise your taxes.

libertythor
09-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I was happy to see this. Looks like a chunk of the people are tiring of the stupid Coleman-Franken mud slinging against each other. Dean Barkley isn't perfect, but he's head and shoulders above the chickenhawk Bush crony and the unexperienced, tax-evading comedian who wants to raise your taxes.

In Minnesota people are already somewhat innoculated against the "wasted vote syndrome" ever since Ventura won the gubernatorial race a while back.

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-15-2008, 05:12 PM
In Minnesota people are already somewhat innoculated against the "wasted vote syndrome" ever since Ventura won the gubernatorial race a while back.

I agree. We are more open to independents and third parties. Perot always did well here and Nader got 5% in 2000, which let the Greens become a major party for a few years. In the early 2000s, we had four major parties with instant ballot and debate access for statewide races (Governor, Senate, Congress, etc).

Ventura's old Independence Party of MN that Barkley is running with remains a third major party and a force to be reckoned with. They consistently run a candidate who is able to get over 5% and maintain their status as a state-recognized major party. That helps them get in the debates and avoid having to collect hundreds of signatures all the time for ballot access.

Minnesota has a long history of being more independent than the rest of the country. Even the MN Democrats are the DFL (Democratic Farmer Labor Party). The Farmer Labor Party used to be a third party that was pretty powerful in this state back in the 1930s and 1940s. Eventually, they merged with the Democrats and became the DFL.

libertythor
09-15-2008, 05:36 PM
bump

gjvrieze
09-15-2008, 05:43 PM

KenInMontiMN
09-15-2008, 05:48 PM
The local TV news gave him a nice video slot the other day:
http://wcco.com/politics/poll.senate.race.2.817666.html

Jesse's the 'honorary' campaign chair, presumably he'll make a few appearances to stump for Dean- who like Jesse is far from a perfect candidate but considering the absolutely sorry state of the major party offerings he makes a very viable alternative. The Metro Transit buses going by make a good video backdrop, when reporters went looking for Dean after he filed to run (right after Jesse announced he wasn't on LKL) that's where they found Dean- the former US Senator was behind the wheel driving of one of those MTC buses.

Barkley served a few weeks, appointed by Ventura when Sen. Wellstone's plane crashed. The seat he's running for is the same seat he previously held temporarily by appt.

AJ Antimony
09-15-2008, 06:05 PM
And also, Dean Barkley is a former US Senator, appointed by Gov. Ventura.

libertythor
09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
bump

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-15-2008, 06:08 PM
We Minnesotan RP guys should do what we can to get this guy elected, or at least a high showing in the polls. At least he appears guaranteed 5% or more at this point, enough to keep the Independence Party's instant ballot access for 2010.

I'm going to see if I can get a few Barkley signs to put up around South St. Paul and the southern suburbs. I'm looking to do the same for both Baldwin and Nader on the Presidential level. It may not mean much, but at least the signs give third party candidates and RP Republicans a presence. As an aside, I have to laugh at McCain's pathetic little symbols this time. What happened? Old Johnny must not be raising as much as he claims. Bush supporters used to cover Minnesota with huge BUSH/CHENEY signs. McCain's are flimsy little pieces of crap that will probably get knocked over soon by the fall winds and first snowfall.

AJ Antimony
09-15-2008, 06:11 PM
We Minnesotan RP guys should do what we can to get this guy elected, or at least a high showing in the polls. At least he appears guaranteed 5% or more at this point, enough to keep the Independence Party's instant ballot access for 2010.

I'm going to see if I can get a few Barkley signs to put up around South St. Paul and the southern suburbs. I'm looking to do the same for both Baldwin and Nader on the Presidential level. It may not mean much, but at least the signs give third party candidates and RP Republicans a presence. As an aside, I have to laugh at McCain's pathetic little symbols this time. What happened? Old Johnny must not be raising as much as he claims. Bush supporters used to cover Minnesota with huge BUSH/CHENEY signs. McCain's are flimsy little pieces of crap that will probably get knocked over soon by the fall winds and first snowfall.

Try to appeal to specifically Coleman voters. If Barkley doesn't win, then I'd want Franked to win the seat over Coleman any day.

torchbearer
09-15-2008, 06:13 PM
How many indies are elected to your state house and senate?

libertythor
09-15-2008, 06:20 PM
bump

libertythor
09-15-2008, 06:33 PM
bump

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-15-2008, 06:38 PM
How many indies are elected to your state house and senate?

Not many. I think only one or two. Local politics tend to be very cliquish. Also, although both the Greens and IPMN have been considered "Major parties," they've still never had quite the power the Democrats and Republicans do to run in every district. The Independence Party of MN still runs quite a few candidates for MN House and Senate. They had one state Senator back when Ventura was Governor and one or two guys in the State House, but I think they've since retired.

Third party candidates, mostly from the Greens and IPMN, are often able to run pretty strongly in State House and Senate districts when they do run. It's routine to see them get 15-30%, but to fall short of winning.

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Barkley's not a libertarian. I like that he'd be sending a message to the parties by pulling votes, but honestly, James Niemackl (http://jamesforsenate.org/), the Constitution Party candidate is much more up our alley.

torchbearer
09-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Not many. I think only one or two. Local politics tend to be very cliquish. Also, although both the Greens and IPMN have been considered "Major parties," they've still never had quite the power the Democrats and Republicans do to run in every district. The Independence Party of MN still runs quite a few candidates for MN House and Senate. They had one state Senator back when Ventura was Governor and one or two guys in the State House, but I think they've since retired.

Third party candidates, mostly from the Greens and IPMN, are often able to run pretty strongly in State House and Senate districts when they do run. It's routine to see them get 15-30%, but to fall short of winning.

Indies do great in state elections in Louisiana. 3rd parties, horrible.

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-15-2008, 06:55 PM
WCCO (local CBS affiliate) did a nice piece on Barkley with an interview. See the video off to the right.

http://wcco.com/politics/poll.senate.race.2.817666.html

gjvrieze
09-15-2008, 07:25 PM

DAFTEK
09-15-2008, 07:27 PM
duggy dugg.... :)

TurtleBurger
09-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Barkley: "Abortions should be legal in all circumstances as long as the procedure is completed within the first trimester of pregnancy." (http://www.ontheissues.org/Social/Dean_Barkley_Abortion.htm)

No thanks.

gjvrieze
09-15-2008, 07:42 PM

Micah Dardar
09-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Barkley: "Abortions should be legal in all circumstances as long as the procedure is completed within the first trimester of pregnancy." (http://www.ontheissues.org/Social/Dean_Barkley_Abortion.htm)

No thanks.
We really need to worry about the big picture at the moment, and I don't feel that someone's abortion stance is a big enough issue to worry about at the moment. That's old political news.

gjvrieze
09-15-2008, 07:52 PM

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Minnesota RP supporters should go for either Barkley or the Constitution Party candidate. These are the only two good choices, as usual the two major parties have served us a heaping load of trash with both Coleman and Franken.

torchbearer
09-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Ya, lets worry about the Constitution!!

+1

gjvrieze
09-15-2008, 08:00 PM

AJ Antimony
09-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Minnesota RP supporters should go for either Barkley or the Constitution Party candidate. These are the only two good choices, as usual the two major parties have served us a heaping load of trash with both Coleman and Franken.

Franken isn't trash because he's not a politician. He's a comedian and a satirist. For years he's been blasting Washington for being so fucking stupid. This year he finally had enough and decided to run for Senate. As Penn and Teller roughly said, while sitting there and blasting the war is one thing, running for public office to change policy, is definitely not bullshit.

Franken definitely doesn't agree with us on many issues, but he certainly deserves our respect.

Scotso
09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
And also, Dean Barkley is a former US Senator, appointed by Gov. Ventura.

This goes to show just how much having been in Congress before helps candidates. Even a guy that was merely appointed to it is seen as a much more credible candidate. So while we should all certainly applaud that he's doing so well, we need to continue to realize just how difficult it is for third party/independent candidates to break into the political establishment.

libertythor
09-15-2008, 08:48 PM
bump

Knightskye
09-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Dugg. I think he'll win.

roho76
09-15-2008, 09:12 PM
From Barkley's website:
So the second bill I will introduce in the U.S. Senate will be to provide a "clean money" option for candidates to get elected.

The plan is actually quite simple: every eligible and registered voter in the United States would be entitled to a $100 voucher they could give to the federal candidate of their choice. Candidates would then have to go back to their districts and convince their constituents to give them the vouchers to finance their campaigns, not get it from special interest fundraising in Washington.

How does this work? I have heard RP mention this before as well as others too but where does the money come from? And what would stop "big interests" from paying money for these vouchers and giving them to the candidate of their choice? They sell food stamps in the ghetto for cash. It's a pretty lucrative business actually. And who wouldn't take $30 cash for a $100 voucher?

gjvrieze
09-15-2008, 09:18 PM

gjvrieze
09-15-2008, 09:19 PM

rational thinker
09-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Edit.

libertythor
09-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Edit.

Was it an oops?

OhioMichael
09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
dugg.

KenInMontiMN
09-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Says here he cast the deciding vote for homeland security in what was his most notable vote-
http://wcco.com/politics/dean.barkley.politics.2.717611.html

But I look up the senate roll call on that vote and it wasn't even marginally close; so they must mean his yea happened to be the 51st yea cast. On the other hand I do like the image of him showing up there occasionally still, in jeans and a sweatshirt, smoking a cigar. And there's something admirable about a guy with a JD preferring to drive a bus at 58 as well, simply because he actually enjoys it.

When push comes to shove though my 3rd party vote goes constitution in this race- though if Barkley were to climb within 5% of the leader by the eve of the election I would have to help push him over the top if that's looking possible. Anti-Coleman is key here, and if it remains very tight between he and Franken w/Barkley still quite a ways back as election day approaches I'd fault no one for holding their nose and voting a message-to-Coleman Franken vote. Tempting to do the same myself given that situation.

Knightskye
09-15-2008, 10:55 PM
He might be rising fast, but this Digg sure isn't. :D

Kotin
09-15-2008, 10:58 PM
I really admire Dean Barkley.. btw he was appointed to the US Senate by non other than Governor Jesse Ventura.

AJ Antimony
09-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Says here he cast the deciding vote for homeland security in what was his most notable vote-
http://wcco.com/politics/dean.barkley.politics.2.717611.html

But I look up the senate roll call on that vote and it wasn't even marginally close; so they must mean his yea happened to be the 51st yea cast. On the other hand I do like the image of him showing up there occasionally still, in jeans and a sweatshirt, smoking a cigar. And there's something admirable about a guy with a JD preferring to drive a bus at 58 as well, simply because he actually enjoys it.

When push comes to shove though my 3rd party vote goes constitution in this race- though if Barkley were to climb within 5% of the leader by the eve of the election I would have to help push him over the top if that's looking possible. Anti-Coleman is key here, and if it remains very tight between he and Franken w/Barkley still quite a ways back as election day approaches I'd fault no one for holding their nose and voting a message-to-Coleman Franken vote. Tempting to do the same myself given that situation.

Franken is a good man and means well.

libertythor
09-16-2008, 12:50 AM
bump