PDA

View Full Version : NH Debate Sleeper Cells

Thom1776
09-04-2007, 12:47 PM
We can't let the moderator get away with conducting a biased and unfair debate. Bitching after the fact does no good. We have to fight this battle in real time.

We must be willing to fight FOX News as the debate is happening, live on national television.

If anyone has ever said that they'd take a bullet for Ron Paul, now is your chance.

I think that we will have at LEAST fifty RP supporters in the audience; probably over one hundred.

Well, September 5th, 2007 is the Battle of Durham in the bigger Battle of New Hampshire. Our ammunition in this battle is words; well chosen and carefully phrased words.

Here is the plan: There are eight candidates, so you would expect the time to be divided evenly amongst the eight. Past debates have proven that this is not the case at all. This is where we come in.

If the moderator is not being fair about allotting time to each candidate, then we let him know it in no uncertain terms.

It is important that our words are directed towards the moderator, or one of the other questioners, but NEVER to any of the candidates.

Each of us must be ready, willing and able to fire a verbal volley at the moderator at any time. We must also be willing to accept the consequence of possibly being ejected from the audience.

I don't have a problem with this. I'll go join the party outside.

With the large numbers we will have in attendance, we will be able to cover the entire debate from start to finish. They can only eject one of us at a time.

These are some phrases I have come up with. please feel free to add more that you think are good:

"IT'S NOT HIS TURN!"
"HE'S HAD ENOUGH TIME!"
"STOP PLAYING FAVORITES!"
"YOU'RE NOT BEING FAIR AND BALANCED!"

Here is a good one for a health care question if it looks like they are going to skip RP on it:
"ASK THE DOCTOR!"

It is important to say what you are going to say loud and clear, because you only have one shot at it. Once you yell at the mod, just compose yourself and sit there quietly as if nothing happened.

If it looks like they are going to eject you, just quietly get up and leave. You did your job, now go have fun at a party outside and be welcomed as a hero.

I am going to be dressed nicely and wearing a button for a candidate.

FOX News: Fake and Biased

dude58677
09-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Sounds good.:)

slantedview
09-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Thom: This is great advice? Will you be there? If others agree with this, I'd like to see this info distributed to more ron paul audiences (other blogs?)

If outsiders read it, it doesn't matter. Maybe that will scare them enough to actually be fair in the debate and we won't need to resort to this.

j

belian78
09-04-2007, 12:56 PM
and how does acting like a heathen during the debate help Dr Paul again? no offense, but i dont see how it would at all.

Ridiculous
09-04-2007, 12:57 PM
We can't let the moderator get away with conducting a biased and unfair debate. Bitching after the fact does no good. We have to fight this battle in real time.

We must be willing to fight FOX News as the debate is happening, live on national television.

If anyone has ever said that they'd take a bullet for Ron Paul, now is your chance.

I think that we will have at LEAST fifty RP supporters in the audience; probably over one hundred.

Well, September 5th, 2007 is the Battle of Durham in the bigger Battle of New Hampshire. Our ammunition in this battle is words; well chosen and carefully phrased words.

Here is the plan: There are eight candidates, so you would expect the time to be divided evenly amongst the eight. Past debates have proven that this is not the case at all. This is where we come in.

If the moderator is not being fair about allotting time to each candidate, then we let him know it in no uncertain terms.

It is important that our words are directed towards the moderator, or one of the other questioners, but NEVER to any of the candidates.

Each of us must be ready, willing and able to fire a verbal volley at the moderator at any time. We must also be willing to accept the consequence of possibly being ejected from the audience.

I don't have a problem with this. I'll go join the party outside.

With the large numbers we will have in attendance, we will be able to cover the entire debate from start to finish. They can only eject one of us at a time.

These are some phrases I have come up with. please feel free to add more that you think are good:

"IT'S NOT HIS TURN!"
"HE'S HAD ENOUGH TIME!"

Here is a good one for a health care question if it looks like they are going to skip RP on it:
"ASK THE DOCTOR!"

It is important to say what you are going to say loud and clear, because you only have one shot at it. Once you yell at the mod, just compose yourself and sit there quietly as if nothing happened.

If it looks like they are going to eject you, just quietly get up and leave. You did your job, now go have fun at a party outside and be welcomed as a hero.

I am going to be dressed nicely and wearing a button for a candidate.

FOX News: Fake and Biased

I hate to be a nay sayer, but I'll just play devil's advocate. The only problem with this is that it could potentially make RP supporters look bad. If several RP supporters get kicked out of the debate it will get spun as RP supporters being disrespectful, unruly and could possibly give future debate sponsors/hosts an excuse to not invite Paul to the next debates.

yoshimaroka
09-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Intentions are good, but if people in the audience start yelling, it'll make RP look bad. This kind of stuff turns people off… it'll do the opposite of what you want. Also, Fox is simply going to spin to make it look as if rabid RP supporters are kooks.
But if you wanna go for it then all the power to you, it's your choice.

Ridiculous
09-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Intentions are good, but if people in the audience start yelling, it'll make RP look bad. This kind of stuff turns people off… it'll do the opposite of what you want. Also, Fox is simply going to spin to make it look as if rabid RP supporters are kooks.

agreed.

I can just see Hanity now, "Can you believe those Ron Paul supporters? What a disrespectful bunch."

Thom1776
09-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes, it's important not to be identified with Ron Paul.

Like I said above, I will be wearing a button for a candidate.

dude58677
09-04-2007, 01:01 PM

Maybe you are right, but we have to do something. If not yelling during the debates, what do we do?

Johnnybags
09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
We should encourage all the second tiers we see or meet to demand more time, its not up to us, to get attention. If you see the FOX crew beforehand ask em to give equal time. Dr. Paul must interject more himself and the others as well. You already know what is going to happen and so does Ron, he needs to be prepared for it and his campaign should preask the sponsors to look out for the time problem, I personally would like to hear more from Tancredo as well. No need for a ruckus inside. It wil reflect poorly and be right up FOX's alley.

Ridiculous
09-04-2007, 01:05 PM
The only way to pull this idea off is if you yelled the "Stop playing favorites" or "He's had enough time" and did not at all refer to RP and wear nothing that would associate you with RP.

Any thing that would associate you with RP if you interrupted the debate would be negative.

AlexAmore
09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I would tweak the strategy a bit. Don't wear a button for Ron Paul or have anything to do with Ron Paul. Simply yell things at the mods show that you are mad at them for giving the first tier more time and second tier less. Ron Paul should have nothing to do with it. Now I would like Fox to try and spin it.
Edit: looks like someone beat me to it :)

nullvalu
09-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Maybe you are right, but we have to do something. If not yelling during the debates, what do we do?

how about shining laser light pens in the other candidates' eyes?

(joking)

mdh
09-04-2007, 01:10 PM
The biggest problem is that the debate is likely broadcast on a delay. No one will know what you've done except for the few people in attendance.

dude58677
09-04-2007, 01:10 PM
how about shining laser light pens in the other candidates' eyes?

(joking)

LOL

yoshimaroka
09-04-2007, 01:12 PM

Just let RP speak, even if it's for 3 minutes. It worked for him in the past two debates; his exchange with Rudy was the talk of the debate and then his exchange with Romney. That's what drew me in. If you heard people whining and complaining(no matter how unjust Fox is), it'd be a big turn off.

Just think of it from the perspective of a clueless Faux News watcher. If RP gets the TV viewing audience curios, they'll be more likely to google Ron Paul. People who take their time research RP on their own are more likely to be receptive to his message.

Clapping for RP after he talks is great. Holding signs outside is great. Be respectful

billm317
09-04-2007, 01:17 PM
As others have pointed out, the key is to not associate any of the criticism with Ron Paul. Do NOT say, "It's Ron Paul's turn", or things like that. Those are the type of comments that Hannity and the other clowns could have a field day with, if they needed to.

These all sound good to me:
"IT'S NOT HIS TURN!"
"HE'S HAD ENOUGH TIME!"

I think this is a great idea. If you do it, don't be wearing anything Ron Paul. You'll be making a stand on something not solely related to Ron Paul. There are others who aren't getting fair time either. I'm a Ron Paul supporter, but I think it's bullshit that they're also not getting equal time.

transistor
09-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Please don't

Shatterhand
09-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Well, I think this is the most interesting idea I've heard all day.

Didn't Fox skip Dr. Paul in a round of questioning in the previous debate? I guess all you who don't like to rock the boat were cool with that.

But it makes sense not to disrupt the debate shouting, "Ron Paul!" or to identify as RP supporters.

Still it seems to make sense to have the audience voice their dissatisfaction if the top tier candidates are given more time than the second tier candidates. I wonder if this idea will be spread to Huckabee, Hunter, and Tancredo supporters?

billm317
09-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Please don't

Please do (but be smart about it)

forsytjr
09-04-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm begging everyone not to do this. No matter how you do it, you will be associated with Ron Paul. Does this seem like something Ron Paul would do to you? Yes, I know it's frustrating he has gotten less time. Have you bothered to write Fox news prior to the debate demanding equal time? I have, not that it will help. I'm friends with a lot of the GOP folks here in NH, and some of these people can be convinced to come our way. But not if we look like a bunch of adolescents.

Enthusiastic supporters are Ron Paul's greatest asset. Unfortunately, I think they are also his greatest liability.

starless
09-04-2007, 01:27 PM
This is an absolutely terrible idea. The entire debate is already pre-planned. do you think if you randomly scream taunts that the moderator will say "Hmm... I guess that guy screaming in the audience is right. Why don't I ask Ron Paul more questions?" Not likely.

There are two possible outcomes:

1. You get kicked out and Ron Paul looks bad because you are somehow linked to the campaign.

2. You get kicked out, are not able to be linked to the campaign, and Ron Paul has one less supporter to sound off when he answers a question.

Very bad idea all around.

Larofeticus
09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
For anything to be effective it would need several properties.

It would have to be loud enough to be picked up by the correct mics.

It would have to be long enough to outstrip any delay. People at home would start to see something unusual and then it would cut to commercial.

It would have to be non-partisan.

So after maybe the 4th or 5th time someone gets skipped, everyone who wants to hear more from the second tier should start chanting "ask them all." If there really are 50-100 people who favor 2nd tier candidates, then this will be both loud enough to affect the proceedings, and take too much time to clear out to be seamlessly edited away.

Heck, i'd start or join in on such a chant if i didn't live 1000 miles away.

ghemminger
09-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I hate to say this but the MSM is pushing us more and more towards this. Realize this is a form of protest of the "Process" and treat it as such. This isn't a RP thing...it is a fair and justice thing. Wish you well...just be smart - I'm worried abou the crazy lady that isn't on this thread and has had it up th here with the MSM....

LibertyEagle
09-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Yes, it's important not to be identified with Ron Paul.

Like I said above, I will be wearing a button for a candidate.

Just be sure it is not a RP button and make sure you are not driving a car that has anything about RP on it. Remember the whole deal about the woman in Texas who confronted Fred.

ghemminger
09-04-2007, 01:34 PM
For anything to be effective it would need several properties.

It would have to be loud enough to be picked up by the correct mics.

It would have to be long enough to outstrip any delay. People at home would start to see something unusual and then it would cut to commercial.

It would have to be non-partisan.

So after maybe the 4th or 5th time someone gets skipped, everyone who wants to hear more from the second tier should start chanting "ask them all." If there really are 50-100 people who favor 2nd tier candidates, then this will be both loud enough to affect the proceedings, and take too much time to clear out to be seamlessly edited away.

Heck, i'd start or join in on such a chant if i didn't live 1000 miles away.

This might work - but you have to have spontaeneous crowd reaction time

Mister Grieves
09-04-2007, 01:39 PM
This is an absolutely terrible idea. The entire debate is already pre-planned.

Wrong. When Romney or Giulliani go 3 or 4 minutes over the time they were allotted, that is not pre-planned, at least not openly.

We have to come out guns blazing. I think this is a good idea so long as the comments are neutral in regards to not mentioning Paul.

The people that keep acting like we can win this if we just keep trying to make nice and play by their rules are living in fantasy land. The MSM and the GOP have shown that they have no intentions of treating all candidates equally or fairly.

I only wish I could be there to be a part of this.

EvilEngineer
09-04-2007, 01:42 PM
If you all really want to take control of the debate, take control of the faux news broadcast truck. Or, have fun with them and run a hose to a canister of laughing gas. A broadcast technician that is high, might be funny to watch to see what he does.

mdh
09-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Wear Tancredo buttons to do it - he's dropping out soon, anyways.

forsytjr
09-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Wear Tancredo buttons to do it - he's dropping out soon, anyways.
Great, so then once people figure out it was actually a Ron Paul supporter (which is inevitable with google around), then not only will we be known as obnoxious, but also as trying to sabotage other campaigns. Great way to win friends and influence people.

Tancredo has said some ludicrous stuff, but he stood up for Dr Paul when they shut him out of the Iowa Tax Forums.

NH4RonPaul
09-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I am sorry but this is a terrible idea because it will be seen as disruptive because it is disruptive.

And, when you shout out, you WILL be associated with whomever was cut off so there is no way you can separate yourself from the candidate.

If you want to destroy the campaign, there is no better way I can think of to do this!

The campaign already has to waste a lot of time putting out fires started by people who are 'campaigning' in ways that are not helpful to Ron. Why add to the problem?

Getting yourself thrown out of a debate audience for disorderly conduct is NOT a good thing to do.

Please reconsider. I will be cringing in front of my TV set.

:(

Michael Ingram
09-04-2007, 02:38 PM
I am sorry but this is a terrible idea because it will be seen as disruptive because it is disruptive.

And, when you shout out, you WILL be associated with whomever was cut off so there is no way you can separate yourself from the candidate.

If you want to destroy the campaign, there is no better way I can think of to do this!

The campaign already has to waste a lot of time putting out fires started by people who are 'campaigning' in ways that are not helpful to Ron. Why add to the problem?

Getting yourself thrown out of a debate audience for disorderly conduct is NOT a good thing to do.

Please reconsider. I will be cringing in front of my TV set.

I completely agree, don't do it. Try to become a delegate instead. Yelling would only lose supporters.

NH4RonPaul
09-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I completely agree, don't do it. Try to become a delegate instead. Yelling would only lose supporters.

Even if you all were heard by the moderators, they will cut it right out of the broadcast for the general public because of the delay. So it will not be heard by the public and won't prove anything but help get you thrown out.

I want to know, are you still planning on doing this and what candidate's button were you planning on wearing?

Suzu
As others have pointed out, the key is to not associate any of the criticism with Ron Paul. Do NOT say, "It's Ron Paul's turn", or things like that. Those are the type of comments that Hannity and the other clowns could have a field day with, if they needed to.

These all sound good to me:
"IT'S NOT HIS TURN!"
"HE'S HAD ENOUGH TIME!"

I think this is a great idea. If you do it, don't be wearing anything Ron Paul. You'll be making a stand on something not solely related to Ron Paul. There are others who aren't getting fair time either. I'm a Ron Paul supporter, but I think it's bullshit that they're also not getting equal time.

Sure, it's a great idea to be discussing this in an open forum and giving ideas to the opposition on how to behave at the debate to reflect poorly on Ron Paul.

Sematary
and how does acting like a heathen during the debate help Dr Paul again? no offense, but i dont see how it would at all.

I think he's got a good idea. How does allowing FAUX NEWS to ignore Ron Paul help him? This is a REVOLUTION and at some time we are going to have to make a noisy (and perhaps messy) splash.

billm317
09-04-2007, 02:46 PM

Yeah, we should just take our 2 minutes of talk time and be happy. Actually, we should be thankful. We should send FOXNews emails after the debate, thanking them for even letting Ron Paul speak.

If there's an opportunity where Giuliani (for example) is getting too much time, I don't see how someone yelling out, "it's not his turn", can negatively affect Ron Paul. This isn't a Ron Paul issue. It's an issue with the media-perceived 2nd-tier candidates not getting equal talk time.

I do agree that anyone who yelled out *anything* in relation to Ron Paul will do way more harm than good. That's not what's being suggested here.

Green Mountain Boy
09-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Even if you were heard by the moderators, they will cut it right out of the broadcast for the general public because of the delay. So it will not be heard by the public and won't prove anything but help get you thrown out.

The goal is not to be heard by the public but to be heard by the moderator and to have a direct influence on the debate. At least that is my understanding.

krott5333
09-04-2007, 02:49 PM

I dont see how it could hurt.. especially if the verbal vollies dont favor a certain candidate

billm317
09-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Sure, it's a great idea to be discussing this in an open forum and giving ideas to the opposition on how to behave at the debate to reflect poorly on Ron Paul.

Ya know what... None of John McCain's Internet supporters are leaking ideas about how to make him succeed. Ya know why? He doesn't have any. There is more to be gained by giving *other* Ron Paul supporters ideas. If 500 Ron Paul supporters read something beneficial, only 30 (for example) Fred Thompson supporters will see the same message. It's not perfect, but ya have to go with who will benefit the most, in my opinion.

forsytjr
09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
I dont see how it could hurt.. especially if the verbal vollies dont favor a certain candidate

Because it will be associated with Ron Paul anyway. Especially now that it has been posted on the ronpaulforums. Additionally, many will presume it is a Ron Paul supporter, since he is known to have the most anti-establishment supporters.

Let Ron Paul speak for himself. Let him demand more time on the microphone and equal time. One of my favorites from last debate was Romney trying to interrupt, and Ron Paul showing him the hand, and telling him to wait his turn.

JenHarris
09-04-2007, 02:57 PM
After the meeting with Anita from the campaign, I can say with absolute certainty that the campaign would not want us to do what you are talking about.

Having said that, I can totally identify with why you want to. It's very frustrating, demoralizing, and infuriating to know that the media isn't doing their jobs the right way, but shouting during a TV debate only serves to give them ammunition to make RP supporters to be a bunch of stupid troublemakers. That makes him look bad to the exact people that we're trying to win over.

His words will win over more people, just like they do with every debate. Our job is to support him in a way that will help, versus making it that much harder for him to reach people.

Sematary
09-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Because it will be associated with Ron Paul anyway. Especially now that it has been posted on the ronpaulforums. Additionally, many will presume it is a Ron Paul supporter, since he is known to have the most anti-establishment supporters.

Let Ron Paul speak for himself. Let him demand more time on the microphone and equal time. One of my favorites from last debate was Romney trying to interrupt, and Ron Paul showing him the hand, and telling him to wait his turn.

So what? Sooner or later, as I said earlier, we are going to have to make a splash. If they won't play fair, then we need to get in their face. Playing nice is not going to win RP anything.

yoshimaroka
09-04-2007, 03:02 PM
So what? Sooner or later, as I said earlier, we are going to have to make a splash. If they won't play fair, then we need to get in their face. Playing nice is not going to win RP anything.

That means that we have to concentrate even more on numerous and bigger rallies and raising awareness ourselves through radio ads, donations…etc. It means we have to bypass the MSM.

Shatterhand
09-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Hey,

Just someone tell me, yes or no, did Fox skip Ron Paul on a round of questions in the first debate?

If I remember correctly, they did skip him on a round of questions.

No one complained then because the audience was packed with neocons.

And I know that in other debates the second tier candidates were skipped, rather blatantly. I think it is unfair to skip candidates!

forsytjr
09-04-2007, 03:05 PM
If they won't play fair, then we need to get in their face. Playing nice is not going to win RP anything.

Well, I disagree. We need to win people over to our side. And being obnoxious is not the way to do it. IMO, this effort has far more to do about making a point about the MSM (which is a fair point) than trying to get Ron Paul elected.

Now, the question is, do you care what the official campaign wants you to do to help Ron Paul? If they said this was counterproductive, would people cease and desist? Because I can guarantee that is what they would say, having had several conversations with the NH campaign manager about issues like this.

Adam Smith
09-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm amazed at those of you who believe that if RP and his supporters play by 'the rules' we will be treated fairly by Fox News or other Old Media Outlets. They are not being fair to RP now. Do you think they don't know it?

I'm with those who want the MSM to be accountable for their continued attempts to ignore RP. RP himself says that he is just the messenger of freedom and liberty. That message belongs to us, We the People. And if The Voice of our cause is being stifled - on purpose - it is required of us to come to the forefront and defend our message and insist it be allowed to be heard.

Dress nice, be nice, and play nice, if you're planning on attending debates. But, by all means, I believe you should speak out if you see bias like we've seen in past debates.

Those of you who believe we shouldn't discuss this stuff in an open forum need to recognize that limiting access excludes good people (not just those very few who would do harm) who might like to participate. At this point, in my opinion, it's preferable to make as much of what we want to achieve public knowledge so that as many people as possible can have the option of choosing to act on the information.

RP4ME
09-04-2007, 03:51 PM
I like the Tancredo buttons idea - and id say give it a go - its not civil but ya know it might put these moderators on notice.....the next one will never know who might show up! but divorce yoruself form RP in such circumstances!! Bette ryet wear Guilani buttons!

Ninja Homer
09-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, I disagree. We need to win people over to our side. And being obnoxious is not the way to do it. IMO, this effort has far more to do about making a point about the MSM (which is a fair point) than trying to get Ron Paul elected.

Now, the question is, do you care what the official campaign wants you to do to help Ron Paul? If they said this was counterproductive, would people cease and desist? Because I can guarantee that is what they would say, having had several conversations with the NH campaign manager about issues like this.

Did you really just register to post 4 times in this thread trying to shoot this idea down? What campaign do you work for?

I think it's a great idea. There's currently almost a complete blackout of Ron Paul in the MSM. It has actually gotten worse in the last few weeks (on TV anyway, there's been some print articles). If anybody talked about Ron Paul supporters being obnoxious, it would be a step up.

Ron Paul supporters are not Ron Paul. If a few supporters appear obnoxious, it does not reflect badly on Ron Paul. If anything, the "obnoxious" Ron Paul supporters have been described by the MSM as "passionate".

billm317
09-04-2007, 04:08 PM
I like the Tancredo buttons idea - and id say give it a go - its not civil but ya know it might put these moderators on notice.....the next one will never know who might show up! but divorce yoruself form RP in such circumstances!! Bette ryet wear Guilani buttons!

I disagree. I say no buttons at all. Tancredo's supporters didn't do anything to us, so we shouldn't use them to get our point across.

mtmedlin
09-04-2007, 04:13 PM
This idea is horrible and doesn't represent RP at all. He is not RUDE or OBNOXIOUS nor would he condone these actions. Please be courteous. If you think that this in any way will help RP then you know nothing of politics. I guarantee that it will backfire and hurt his campaign and in the end you will be on this forum saying I guess we shouldn't have done this. At that point it will be too late. The will exclude him and there is nothing that we can do. Getting you ass tossed out only limits the amount of applause RP should be getting when he speaks. If you want to cough or very lightly boo when someone says something wrong (Gulliani) then I would but again keep it limited. Personally, i would use silence. Nothing is worse then when a candidate stated something with enthusiasm and expects a great audience response and it falls flat with only a few clapping.
Be professional, i know it sounds cliché but
What would Ron Paul Do?

Lesgov
09-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I think this is a bad idea, we will be in their house going by their rules. Showing lots of support yes, but being rude no.
Ron Paul can take care of himself, he packs more punch in two minutes than the others do in ten.
All the people that are watching this on tv are not stupid, it's easy to see the blatant unfairness.

stevedasbach
09-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I've known Ron for 20 years. IMO, he would not support this.

billm317
09-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I think this is a bad idea, we will be in their house going by their rules.

Sorta like how when the White House holds a press conference. We're in their house, we shouldn't call them on their bullshit. Wrong. Calling someone on their bullshit is not being rude. If more people did this, we wouldn't be in the mess we are now. If comments aren't tied to a certain candidate, how is it a bad thing? No one is suggesting we jump up and say, "OMG Ron Paul is the best!!!!1 Google Ron Paul!". When Giuliani gets too much time, which we know he will, I see nothing wrong w/ someone being vocal about it.

Keep in mind, it's not only Ron Paul supporters who should be mad. Tancredo, Huckabee, Brownback and Hunter will have supporters not happy either.

All the people that are watching this on tv are not stupid, it's easy to see the blatant unfairness.

Do you really believe this? I certainly don't. In my opinion, Americans as a whole don't think for themselves at all when it comes to politics (or anything?).

Mastiff
09-04-2007, 06:47 PM
I vote for don't do it. RP is already becoming associated with rowdy supporters and this isn't a good thing. We need to be respectful and decent to draw in mainstream support.

Corydoras
09-04-2007, 06:51 PM
'"I was always taught that I can't change your mind by grabbing you by the shirt collar and yelling at you," he says before getting up to vote on the House floor. "But if you try to understand the issues, learn how to present them, and make those ideas available, someday, somebody might listen.'

Ron Paul quoted in Salon.com
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/06/02/ron_paul/index1.html

forsytjr
09-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Did you really just register to post 4 times in this thread trying to shoot this idea down? What campaign do you work for?

Yes I did. I run the meetup group in NH (#6). I got an email from the person who started this thread saying what a wonderful idea it was, and that he posted it here. I don't normally post here since I am too busy with going to GOP meetings, setting up booths, posting meetup events, authoring blogs, etc. But I thought that it was important to nip this in the bud. You can doubt my sincerity if you like, but given the similar negative response that you've had from a number of other people, I think you will see we sincerely believe what we are saying.

john_anderson_ii
09-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Uh, how many people are going to be in the debate total? What percentage of the audience will be RP supporters? Even 10% can sound like 90% if they are synchronized.

RP supporters can be loud when necessary, so ruthlessly attack the other candidate's responses when they answer in an un-Paul manner with loud boos. They can't keep that off the TV.

Especially be loud with the booing when a candidate tries to skirt a question.

If a candidate, even if it's not Paul responds in a Paul way, then cheer.

blazin_it_alwyz
09-04-2007, 07:09 PM
what would be awesome (I know Paul would never do it), but they are going to have to ask Ron Paul a couple of questions to at least SEEM unbiased, it would be nice if he were to let off a potshot against the moderator and Fox, much more effective than this shouting business, they really can't use the delay for what a presidential candidate is going to say.

Like, let's say he gets asked a question like halfway through, I think it would be awesome if right at the beginning of his answer, he let off a subtle potshot, like

"Well I better make this good, (subtle smile), this might be the only question of the night I GET..."

And you get thunderous applause from all his supporters, it would make Fox look absolutely stupid, much better IMO than all of this yelling out in the crowd business.

I'm actually conflicted with this whole plan. It would be a real blow to Ron Paul, if any one of you guys were on camera, and at a later date confirmed to be a Ron Paul supporter.

I say Fox isn't even worth it. I think it would be better if Ron Paul actually fired off a subtle potshot either in the debate, or in the post interview debate, much more effective, and whoever he was talking to wouldn't even be able to respond smartly. I say for this particular case, not worth it.

But if you guys do it tomorrow, I wish you luck, just be aware that there is a delay, and for you to be effective, you have to be very vocal, and you have to make sure that you guys yell one right after another, or else they can just edit you out of the broadcast.

I wish I could be there, but it's 4 hours & 30 minutes away from me.

yoshimaroka
09-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Do you really believe this? I certainly don't. In my opinion, Americans as a whole don't think for themselves at all when it comes to politics (or anything?).

So what do you gain by trying to persuade(which will not work) the moderators of the debate? FOX will spin it as crazy RP supporters and present it as such to Americans who don't think for themselves when it comes to politics.

That's how FOX attacks Ron's campaign. They just wait for an opening and attack his supporters as kooks.
They can't attack him on his voting record because it's the most consistent out of any candidate and he doesn't have any skeletons in his closet.

Lesgov
09-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Yes I do, I have talked to many that are leaning towards Ron Paul because of the unfairness in the previous debates.

klamath
09-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I know how you all feel about the blatant favoritism. It is my firm belief that at this point in the campaign if the candidates are in the debate they should all get equal time. This is when the American people need to make their best choice. If midway down the primary season and one or two candidates have only been receiving 1 or 2% in the privious primaries I could see cutting their time back.
But I believe that any of us making a scene will get Ron Paul banned from the debates. I have seen football teams get docked yards because the fans were rowdy. Trying to get him more time may very well get him none in the future debates which is the last thing we want. If you look at all the new people supporting RP the majority found out about him in the debates.

FluffyUnbound
09-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah, come on guys, I promised my wife I would not get arrested. Let's take the high road.

Quick debate question: Should I assume that campaign folks will have signs available prior to the debate, or do I need to rip up my lawn sign and bring it?

tnvoter
09-04-2007, 07:50 PM
This is what I would be doing if I lived in NH. Good post :D

forsytjr
09-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah, come on guys, I promised my wife I would not get arrested. Let's take the high road.

Quick debate question: Should I assume that campaign folks will have signs available prior to the debate, or do I need to rip up my lawn sign and bring it?
Campaign will have signs.

micahnelson
09-04-2007, 08:04 PM
It will give them the excuse they need to ban Ron Paul from the debates. Please do not do this. Ron Paul is the center of the show that night, if he feels he is being railroaded, it is up to HIM to interject. As much as we might like to give those people a talking to, we must be wise about this.

It is their debate and their forum. Ron Paul is in this for the long haul, so as the numbers thin out it is important that he remain on the guest list. He didn't get where he was by being fiery, he got there by being consistent. I would take this idea as good intentioned passion, but misplaced- akin to a boy tearing open a cocoon. Ron Paul is going to have to do this on his own on the stage, it will reflect poorly on him if he has to call in his hordes to do his dirty work.

Please cheer loudly for Ron Paul, but don't take up his time. If someone interjects against paul- it may be appropriate at that point to boo them.

What we want is to deny them they negative paul clip they are looking for. They thought they had it with "Just come home" but it backfired, they thought they had it with "They are attacking us because we have been attacking them for 10 years", but that backfired as well.

Do not hand them a victory like this. Steele yourselves, learn from the doctor. The victory is not to the strong alone, but to the wise, the prudent, and the patient. Turn your anger into passion. If they see you as angry opponents, they will disregard you. Let them see you as patriots. We are all Americans and no one is so far gone that they cant change their minds.

forsytjr
09-05-2007, 11:28 AM
OK, the campus police at UNH now know about this "plan", and that it is Ron Paul supporters. I got a call from the campaign manager of NH (Jared), and he said:

"The most harm anyone could do to the campaign would be to act inappropriately at this debate"

He also said that if you want to hear Ron in post debate interviews rather than clips of his rowdy supporters, you should not do this. He confirmed what many in this forum have said - that this is not at all Ron Paul's style.

Finally, he added that anyone that acts up in this way will be barred of any contact with the campaign.