PDA

View Full Version : Auctions Going On

Primbs
09-15-2008, 09:57 AM
I have been to a few auctions and sometimes you pick up a good deal, sometimes you don't. You have shop around even at auctions, when there are good deals on Ebay to be had.

Here is one auction company.
http://www.rasmus.com/index.php
http://www.rasmus.com/?start=20&

I was at one auction where they were selling dot com furniture and people were buying the fancy stuff. When the drab government issue style furniture came up, they couldn't even give the stuff away.

The government issue indestructible steel desks were offered for one dollar and nobody wanted them so there are deals at auctions.

However, some people overbid for things many times.

I have been to one auction, where the people failed to pick up the items so they hold an impromptu auctions for the people who are there picking up their items.

Even better deals can be had at that time.

angelatc
09-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I went to an auction in a blizzard once . There were only 2 other buyers there, and the auctioneer told us just to pick out what we wanted him to auction off. We got a literal vanload full of stuff for $15.00.

I love auctions.

Primbs
09-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Looks like the past auction prices had great deals on shelving for storage and other outdoor types of equipment.

angelatc
09-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Looks like the past auction prices had great deals on shelving for storage and other outdoor types of equipment.

Indeed. You gotta have a truck or a trailer though...

I've seen some cars I would love to have at estate auctions, too. Not always high end, muscle cars, but just low mileage basic cars that go for practically nothing.

Primbs
09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
I would guess auctions are better in Michigan than in the wealthy recession proof DC area of the country. The economy in the mid atlantic is dependent on government spending and very few ever become unemployed.

There are some professional retailers who come and try to buy all the auction goods. You have to compete with them and those who bid too much by mistake.

angelatc
09-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I would guess auctions are better in Michigan than in the wealthy recession proof DC area of the country. The economy in the mid atlantic is dependent on government spending and very few ever become unemployed.

There are some professional retailers who come and try to buy all the auction goods. You have to compete with them and those who bid too much by mistake.

I haven't been to an auction in Michigan yet, but with the economy here I bet you're right...there wre good deals to be had.

I don't much joy in picking over the bones of failure though. (Not that I won't, but I much prefer auctions by people who are downsizing by choice.)

Dealers gotta eat too! :) I usually find that they don't want to go as high as I do.