PDA

View Full Version : Barr swings Montana?

Bradley in DC
09-15-2008, 08:38 AM
http://thirdpartywatch.com/2008/09/15/montanas-likely-to-be-swingin-all-over-the-place/

‘Montana’s likely to be swingin’ all over the place’
Posted by TPW News Items --- September 15th, 2008
Nobody has described the situation in Montana better than the San Francisco Chronicle:

In August, Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer predicted that in his swing state, the single-issue gun rights voters will vote for neither John McCain nor Barack Obama (who both received bad grades from the National Rifle Association). Instead, they would go for Libertarian Bob Barr, splitting the McCain vote and handing the state to Obama. Two days later, however, McCain chose the gun-totin’, moose-eatin’ governor of Alaska to be his running mate. McCain’s ratings in Montana polls jumped, and he seemed on his way to sewing up the West’s swing states. But not so fast: Western Republicans are a divided bunch. Sure, they like their guns, but they also like liberty (Goldwater Republicans) and the landscape (Teddy Roosevelt Republicans). While those folks may steer clear of Obama, they’re also likely to worry how Palin’s “drill, baby, drill” evangelical, book-burning, Bushie leanings will affect their non-Second Amendment freedoms and their favorite hunting grounds. And those voters – in Montana, at least – have choices. Not only is Barr on the ballot, but so is Ron Paul – a truly maverick Republican, and now the Constitution Party’s nominee, who actually beat McCain in Montana’s GOP caucus. Come November, Montana’s likely to be swingin’ all over the place.
Quick—is it too late to move to Montana to vote?

torchbearer
09-15-2008, 08:42 AM

TER
09-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Go Ron Paul!

Charles Wilson
09-15-2008, 09:35 AM
http://thirdpartywatch.com/2008/09/15/montanas-likely-to-be-swingin-all-over-the-place/

‘Montana’s likely to be swingin’ all over the place’
Posted by TPW News Items --- September 15th, 2008
Nobody has described the situation in Montana better than the San Francisco Chronicle:

In August, Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer predicted that in his swing state, the single-issue gun rights voters will vote for neither John McCain nor Barack Obama (who both received bad grades from the National Rifle Association). Instead, they would go for Libertarian Bob Barr, splitting the McCain vote and handing the state to Obama. Two days later, however, McCain chose the gun-totin’, moose-eatin’ governor of Alaska to be his running mate. McCain’s ratings in Montana polls jumped, and he seemed on his way to sewing up the West’s swing states. But not so fast: Western Republicans are a divided bunch. Sure, they like their guns, but they also like liberty (Goldwater Republicans) and the landscape (Teddy Roosevelt Republicans). While those folks may steer clear of Obama, they’re also likely to worry how Palin’s “drill, baby, drill” evangelical, book-burning, Bushie leanings will affect their non-Second Amendment freedoms and their favorite hunting grounds. And those voters – in Montana, at least – have choices. Not only is Barr on the ballot, but so is Ron Paul – a truly maverick Republican, and now the Constitution Party’s nominee, who actually beat McCain in Montana’s GOP caucus. Come November, Montana’s likely to be swingin’ all over the place.
Quick—is it too late to move to Montana to vote?

Bradley I have a huge respect for your opinion but I cannot understand your support for Bob Barr after he showed his true colors by snubbing/insulting Ron Paul at the recent Natiional Press Club gathering of third party candidates. The man is cut from the same cloth as George Bush and John McCain. A neocon is a neocon.

Bradley in DC
09-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Bradley I have a huge respect for your opinion but I cannot understand your support for Bob Barr.

Charles,

If we're all going to wait to vote only for Ron Pauls then you might as well not even be registered. There really is only one. For a variety of reasons, I think Barr is the best one to move us forward (viability, name ID, media contacts, similarity of platform, Dr. Paul's urging us to support the third party movement this election, aggressive campaigning, etc.).

I have said I disagreed with the decision not to attend and urged Barr to apologize (and started a petition here before LE highjacked it).

It's pretty clear that staffers in both camps f*cked it up. CFL staffers, if they were trying to promote Dr. Paul's agenda of getting everyone on board, failed miserably (and most likely went out of their way to alienate the Barr camp--look at Don's emails...). Some of the Barr staffers are notoriously ill-mannered (but we should be used to that from the Paul campaign).

Charles Wilson
09-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Charles,

If we're all going to wait to vote only for Ron Pauls then you might as well not even be registered. There really is only one. For a variety of reasons, I think Barr is the best one to move us forward (viability, name ID, media contacts, similarity of platform, Dr. Paul's urging us to support the third party movement this election, aggressive campaigning, etc.).

I have said I disagreed with the decision not to attend and urged Barr to apologize (and started a petition here before LE highjacked it).

It's pretty clear that staffers in both camps f*cked it up. CFL staffers, if they were trying to promote Dr. Paul's agenda of getting everyone on board, failed miserably (and most likely went out of their way to alienate the Barr camp--look at Don's emails...). Some of the Barr staffers are notoriously ill-mannered (but we should be used to that from the Paul campaign).

Thanks for the response. I plan to vote third party.
BTW: I signed one of the petitions.