PDA

View Full Version : independent

JosephTheLibertarian
09-14-2008, 08:49 PM
what's wrong with an independent party? no platform. just nothing but ballot access and a bunch of candidates that come from every end of the political spectrum. what is wrong with this? as far as I know this hasn't been tried. what the hell is wrong with it??

KenInMontiMN
09-14-2008, 09:05 PM
The reform party comes somewhat close to the 'no platform' definition, though they do have a half-dozen or so basic tenets, but leave all social policy stuff wide open to the candidates-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Party_of_the_United_States_of_America

This was Ross Perot's invention, Ventura's party as guv, and here in Mn it simply calls itself the Independence Party today, my older bro is active in it.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-14-2008, 09:07 PM
The reform party comes somewhat close to the 'no platform' definition, though they do have a half-dozen or so basic tenets, but leave all social policy stuff wide open to the candidates-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_Party_of_the_United_States_of_America

This was Ross Perot's invention, Ventura's party as guv, and here in Mn it simply calls itself the Independence Party today, my older bro is active in it.

but how about a party with no platform at all? wouldn't that be cool? how can THAT not catch on?

BuddyRey
09-14-2008, 09:09 PM
The only thing I can see wrong with an actual "Independent Party" is the potential for the lack of a cohesive and principled platform to facilitate the hijacking of it by Statists. "Independent" is not an actual political ideology (even though Lou Dobbs says it is). You could have Mary Ruwart running on the IP one year and Noam Chomsky or Tom Tancredo running on it four years later.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-14-2008, 09:11 PM
The only thing I can see wrong with an actual "Independent Party" is the potential for the lack of a cohesive and principled platform to facilitate the hijacking of it by Statists. "Independent" is not an actual political ideology (even though Lou Dobbs says it is). You could have Mary Ruwart running on the IP one year and Noam Chomsky or Tom Tancredo running on it four years later.

True. But atleast it'd provide for an extra voice.

libertea
09-14-2008, 09:26 PM
but how about a party with no platform at all? wouldn't that be cool? how can THAT not catch on?

Who are you really,

JosephTheLibertarian
JosephTheAnarchist
JosephTheIndependent

JosephTheLibertarian
09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Who are you really,

JosephTheLibertarian
JosephTheAnarchist
JosephTheIndependent

JosephtheFreeThinker can a guy talk about something he doesn't necessarily support or believe in? :rolleyes:

UnReconstructed
09-14-2008, 09:37 PM
JosephtheFreeThinker can a guy talk about something he doesn't necessarily support or believe in? :rolleyes:

Until you posted this /\ I was going to say that an independent party would recognize government as being legitimate but if you're just pondering the idea and aren't really serious then I don't need to say anything.

libertea
09-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Yes you can. Free thinkers are rare.

TastyWheat
09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
It's a nice thought but I'd only give my money and support to a person who deserved it, not just anyone who calls himself/herself independent. It might make sense if thier main plank was creating a nonpartisan system (of which I'm totally favor).

Kludge
09-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Who would support a party that stands for nothing....?

Would you donate to the Institute of Inconsistently Biased Research (wasn't TRYING to connect that to the GOP)?

sailor
09-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Who would support a party that stands for nothing....?

Would you donate to the Institute of Inconsistently Biased Research (...)?

I would. I`d send them monopoly money. :D