PDA

View Full Version : Commission on Presidential Debates

Pauls' Revere
09-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Thought we could start an informative thread about the CPD here. So have at it lets rip into this facade of a specatacle and expose it for all to see!!

Here is there homepage:
http://www.debates.org/
:mad:

and what RP eluded too at the announcement. I got this from wikipedia:

Commission on Presidential Debates
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The neutrality of this article is disputed.
Please see the discussion on the talk page. (August 2008)
Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved.
The Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) was established in 1987 by the Democratic and Republican parties to establish the way that debates between candidates for President of the United States are run. The Commission is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) entity as defined by Federal US tax laws, funded entirely by corporate contributions.[citation needed]

The Commission sponsors and produces debates for the United States presidential and vice presidential candidates and undertakes research and educational activities relating to the debates. The organization, which is a nonprofit, bi-partisan corporation, has sponsored each of the presidential debates held since 1988. The Commission has moderated the 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000 and 2004 debates. Prior to this, the League of Women Voters moderated the 1976, 1980, 1984 debates.

The Commission is headed by Frank Fahrenkopf, a former head of the Republican National Committee, and Paul Kirk, a former head of Democratic National Committee.

Contents [hide]
1 Criticism
2 See also
3 References
4 External links

[edit] Criticism
In 1988, the League of Women Voters withdrew its sponsorship of the presidential debates after the George H.W. Bush and Michael Dukakis campaigns secretly agreed to a "memorandum of understanding" that would decide which candidates could participate in the debates, which individuals would be panelists (and therefore able to ask questions), and the height of the podiums. The League rejected the demands and released a statement saying that they were withdrawing support for the debates because "the demands of the two campaign organizations would perpetrate a fraud on the American voter".
During the 2000 election, the CPD stipulated that candidates would only be invited to debate if they had a 15 percent support level across five national polls. Ralph Nader, a presidential candidate who was not allowed to debate because of this rule, believed that the regulation was created to stifle the views of third party candidates by keeping them off the televised debates. Nader brought a lawsuit against them in a federal court, on that basis that corporate contributions violate the Federal Election Campaign Act.

In 2004, the CPD faced harsh criticism of their debate structure and technique. Citing the CPD's 32 page debate contract, citizen groups and Connie Rice of NPR called the CPD debates "news conferences," and "a reckless endangerment of democracy."[1]

[edit] See also
United States presidential election debates
United States presidential election debates, 2004
United States presidential election debates, 2008

[edit] References
^ Connie Rice: Top 10 Secrets They Don't Want You to Know About the Debates

[edit] External links
Commission on Presidential Debates
Open Debates

Matt Collins
09-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah - notice how http://www.Debates.org HAS ZERO CONTACT INFO!!!

bastards

Michael Landon
09-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah - notice how http://www.Debates.org HAS ZERO CONTACT INFO!!!

bastards

I found this on the website:

For more information on debates, contact the CPD at (202) 872-1020.

Let freedom "ring." :)

- ML

Grimnir Wotansvolk
09-13-2008, 08:03 PM
The thing that irks me the most about that site i the red and blue color scheme. Maybe this election has just made me hypersensitive to bullshit, but that alone should make the truth of the debate commission obvious.

Pauls' Revere
09-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Who in the media would open thier eyes to this!

Glen Beck?

Lou Dobbs?

If were going to have an alliance for a third party (I'm all for it, as RP says) I think he wants us to first break through this barrier so that the voice of the people can be heard. I think convincing people would be easy once they see the blatant injustice put upon our political system regardless of party. Sure the diehards are always there but really I think we should start by contacting The League of Women Voters and see what they think? Ideas?