PDA

View Full Version : Write-In Requirements for Each State

amy31416
09-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I thought some of you may find this useful in deciding whether or not to do a write-in vote: http://writein2008.blogspot.com/

It turns out that I just might take my chances with a write-in. Not entirely decided yet.

torchbearer
09-13-2008, 12:19 PM
One of the reason for getting ron a slate of electors in louisiana was so the people who wanted to write-in ron paul would have their votes counted.
The only person who can vote directly on a presidential candidate is a presidential elector.
Being that we profess to uphold such laws as our constitution, we should all be voting on electors who will vote for ron paul.
That one caveat makes writing in ron paul for congress and writing in ron paul for president, two completely different matters.
You can vote directly on your congressman, not on your president.

Matt Collins
09-13-2008, 12:43 PM
In TN the write-in candidate must sign a form FOR EACH COUNTY in the State in order to have their write-in vote counted. It only takes 275 petition signatures to get on the ballot in TN so needless to say a write-in vote is pretty pointless.

Bradley in DC
09-13-2008, 12:47 PM
One of the reason for getting ron a slate of electors in louisiana was so the people who wanted to write-in ron paul would have their votes counted.
The only person who can vote directly on a presidential candidate is a presidential elector.
Being that we profess to uphold such laws as our constitution, we should all be voting on electors who will vote for ron paul.
That one caveat makes writing in ron paul for congress and writing in ron paul for president, two completely different matters.
You can vote directly on your congressman, not on your president.

+1 Good to see some Constitutionalist arguments!

No matter for whom we are voting in our respective states (humor me on the DC part (http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/provisions.html#23) here :D), please, please, please check if your choice would be counted in your state and then only if there are presidential electors connected to your vote.

Bradley in DC
09-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I thought some of you may find this useful in deciding whether or not to do a write-in vote: http://writein2008.blogspot.com/

I'm pretty certain the DC info is partially wrong. :(

amy31416
09-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm pretty certain the DC info is partially wrong. :(

Ecch. That's too bad. The PA info appears to be reasonably correct, with the caveat that your vote still may not be counted. It probably won't, honestly.

Well, I thought it may be a decent resource for those considering it. But always double-check.

Bradley in DC
09-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Ecch. That's too bad.

Well, I thought it may be a decent resource for those considering it. But always double-check.

From a personal email from Richard Winger (the accepted authority on these questions) who runs the Ballot Access site:

In 1974 the D.C. Court of Appeals (not the US Court of Appeals for DC) ruled that DC must print write-in space for president on the November ballot and must count write-ins for declared write-in presidential candidates. Kamins v D.C. Bd. of Elections, 324 A 2d 187 (1974). The DC Court of Appeals remanded to the lower court for a specific order. The lower court entered an order on June 26, 1975, saying "1. Ordered, that the Deft. Bd. of Elections provide a line on the ballot for president and vice-president marked write-in candidates. 2. That the deft Board count the names of write-in candidates for president and vice-president of the US; provided, however, the said write-in candidate has a qualified slate of electors whose names and affidavits have been filed with the Deft. Board of Elections at the appropriate time, prior to the election."

Notwithstanding this clear court order, ever since, the DC Board has taken the position that all they must do is tally the total number of write-ins cast for president, without specifiying how many write-ins any particular declared write-in presidential candidate received. So even when the Constitution Party files Howard Phillips or Michael Peroutka as a declared write-in with presidential elector candidates named on file, the Board won't tally their write-ins. I actually met with someone from the Board about this, but it didn't do any good.

You can certainly get Barr filed as a write-in, and then we can settle this problem once and for all. There is also the federal court decision Turner v DC Board of Elections that says it violates the US Constitution for valid votes to not be counted. That concerned an initiative but the principle is the same. 77 F Supp 2d 25 (1999). Ironically this case concerned the Barr amendment. You probably know about that.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Write-ins mean nothing. You can't win with write-ins :p

Bradley in DC
09-13-2008, 01:42 PM
For our Hillary supporters here...

http://www.writehillaryin.com/Write_In_Facts_by_State.php

FYI, I've emailed with the guy behind it who respects Dr. Paul and his independent voice. :)