PDA

View Full Version : Return of 'hate crimes' plan looms in Congress

Pepsi
09-13-2008, 07:29 AM
A federal "hate crimes" plan to criminalize speech or thoughts critical of homosexuality – dropped from Congress' agenda earlier because of a veto threat from President Bush – may be resurrected before the election, according to an opponent of such advocacy laws.

"Here's ultimately what we expect," Mathew Staver, founder of Liberty Counsel and dean of the Liberty University School of Law, told WND today. "The hate crimes plan is to be offered as an amendment to the Fiscal Year 2009 Department of Defense reauthorization bill. That's what the word is, that it's going to be offered as an amendment."

Pro-homosexual advocates long have sought such a law but opponents fear it would be used to crack down on those who maintain a biblical perspective that condemns homosexuality as sin. Observers note that it would criminalize speech and thought, since other criminal actions already are addressed with current statutes.

Canada already has an aggressive "hate crimes" law, and there authorities there have gone so far as to tell a Christian pastor he must recant his faith because of the legislation that bans statements that can be "perceived" as condemning another person.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=75041

http://www.truthtellers.org/alerts/couldfedhatebillrevive.htm

FindLiberty
09-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Hitler must be smiling up on all this...

GreenCardSeeker
09-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Why can't these lovers of censorship settle with one continent under the tyranny of their thought crime laws? Europe is pretty lost, but they should at least respect the first amendment in the US. It's my experience that these people push for these laws simply because they hate Christianity, not because of actual crimes being committed against homosexuals.

Pepsi
09-13-2008, 07:49 AM
tell your Senators dont support it if you don't want it pass.

By telling them I mean "Demand" that they don't support it! Get mad if you have to. If you can send them fax after fax over the weekend, and e-mail bomb them, and call them.

Pepsi
09-13-2008, 08:05 AM
You can use the JBS action center to e-mail bomb them. The bill is The Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Prevention Act

http://capwiz.com/jbs/directory/congdir.tt?myzip=83204

You can also use the FCNL Legislative Action Center.

http://capwiz.com/fconl/directory/congdir.tt

kojirodensetsu
09-13-2008, 09:03 AM
I disagree with homosexual behavior. So I guess that'd mean jail time for me woo.

angelatc
09-13-2008, 09:05 AM
I get so discouraged! We have made it clear we don't want this legislation passed, and yet the senate is telling us they're going to do whatever the heck they choose to do.

TastyWheat
09-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Link? Bill number?

Even as an amendment this couldn't stand. The 9th Amendment should protect us from "hate speech" laws or amendments. Then again, with a liberal, activist Supreme Court anything is possible.

Fox McCloud
09-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Ridiculous; talking about giving them more rights than the rest of the US--not only is this an infringement on our 1st amendment, but it's stupid as well; if you're going to pass a law like this, then it needs to be all encompassing; Christians, Muslims, Jews, Blacks, Whites, Heterosexuals, Homosexuals, mentally handicapped, etc.

It's a perfect example of the collectivists definition of "equal"; they use laws to attempt (and badly, at that) to make person's equal, where as the individualist says "the law should treat everyone equally with a disregard to race, rank, wealth, or any other status".

If this passes, this is going to suck, big time.

Agent CSL
09-13-2008, 02:12 PM
HR1955 / S1959?

I don't expect this to pass now. If it does I expect it to be repealed and challenged quickly.

Hate crime laws are so unjust. It's not ok for a white person to call a black guy a ****** or *insert other term*, but somehow it's ok for blacks to call whites 'crackers'? *shakes head*

GreenCardSeeker
09-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Hate crime laws are so unjust. It's not ok for a white person to call a black guy a ****** or *insert other term*, but somehow it's ok for blacks to call whites 'crackers'? *shakes head*

That's exactly how the "hate laws" are here in Sweden, the definition of a "hate crime" is a member of a majority group offending a member of a minority group. I find it so sad that Swedes put up with these laws that are targetted only at them. Swedes and Christians are fair game, while three groups are specifically protected: Jews, Muslims and homosexuals.

Agent CSL
09-13-2008, 02:32 PM
That's exactly how the "hate laws" are here in Sweden, the definition of a "hate crime" is a member of a majority group offending a member of a minority group. I find it so sad that Swedes put up with these laws that are targetted only at them. Swedes and Christians are fair game, while three groups are specifically protected: Jews, Muslims and homosexuals.

Well, when I go down, I just hope they give me a soldier's death. :mad:

tonesforjonesbones
09-13-2008, 04:27 PM
The organization that is pushing this bill is the Anti Defamation League. It boils down to this...they don't want anyone preaching the gospel...and saying that the jews are responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus. It is a ploy to destroy Christianity in the USA. Hate speech would also be denying the HOlocaust, talking about the Khazars/Ashkanazis ..or anything perceived to be "anti semetic". They have been chipping away at our traditions for years, no prayer in schools, we have to fight for Christmas and Easter...time honored traditions in the USA. This is called "Creative Destruction" and it's an agenda to tear down the old traditions...the trotskyite communists are behind it. It really has nothing to do with homosexuals...that is smoke and mirrors. You can watch about this here:
www.truthtellers.org there is a great documentary on it and how they came up with the bill. Tones

Pepsi
09-14-2008, 05:20 AM
HR1955 / S1959?

I don't expect this to pass now. If it does I expect it to be repealed and challenged quickly.

HR1955 / S1959 is The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007

http://capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=10596231

H.R. 5405: A Social Security/National ID Card Is an Alternative Plan for Implementing the REAL ID Act

http://capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=10596231

TastyWheat
09-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah, imagine that. A white guy and a black guy get in a brawl because one bumped into the other. In the middle of it the white guy calls the black guy the n-word and it's suddenly a hate crime; add 5 more years to his sentence. Oh, it would totally happen.

Agent CSL
09-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Yeah, imagine that. A white guy and a black guy get in a brawl because one bumped into the other. In the middle of it the white guy calls the black guy the n-word and it's suddenly a hate crime; add 5 more years to his sentence. Oh, it would totally happen.
WORDS HURT! T^T

Almost as much as losing 5 years worth of income for you and your family.

NMCB3
09-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I get so discouraged! We have made it clear we don't want this legislation passed, and yet the senate is telling us they're going to do whatever the heck they choose to do.Don't you understand? In a democracy individuals are allowed to elect their rulers, but once elected you must obey their edicts because then they are answerable to "the people" not to you.:)

NMCB3
09-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Link? Bill number?

Even as an amendment this couldn't stand. The 9th Amendment should protect us from "hate speech" laws or amendments. Then again, with a liberal, activist Supreme Court anything is possible.The ninth Amendment ? Keep dreaming. The constitution is a dead letter. :)