PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Ike coverage....

american.swan
09-13-2008, 06:59 AM
....watch local Houston TV live streamed online.

Search... I am watching www.khou.com

american.swan
09-13-2008, 07:03 AM
....watch local Houston TV live streamed online.

Search... I am watching www.khou.com

Over 3 million without power around houston

freelance
09-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Could any of you in the area with an Internet connection PLEASE check in? We're worried about you.

american.swan
09-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Could any of you in the area with an Internet connection PLEASE check in? We're worried about you.

My brother lives in western Houston. He should be fine. He has plenty of resources.

teshuah
09-13-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't know where else to post this on this site, so I'm using this thread...

In the name of small government and the PEOPLE taking up the cause....

We have been asked to help with mobilizing some relief help via supplies and finances through a friend and contact in Texas we made when we worked on the Coast after Katrina. Please, message me until I get the contact infomation posted, as to how where you can send any of the following. Here is what we were sent as the need. They are moving into Galveston ASAP. This guy, Darren, was in Bay St. Louis first thing after the Hurricane and helped down there for a long while.

We need contacts via distributors, grocery stores, wholesale contacts, etc. It is much easier to get supplies to someone already there then trying to get in on your own.
Sept. 12, 2008

I am enclosing a list of the needs and requests of things Darren and the volunteers will need immediately for them to enter into Galveston for the hurricane relief.

Bleach….lots and lots of bleach everything is flooded and will mildew in the humidity
bottle water….cases….the water lines have been turned off until tests can be run probably weeks from now to determine if it is contaminated.

OFF or other mosquito repellent. The mosquito’s will be even worse due to the extreme flooding and humidity.

peroxide, band aids triple antibiotic cream, and other first aide type things. Tylenol
Ibuprofen Benadryl alcohol ….everything will be contaminated and a potential infection

pop top foods dry cereal energy bars crackers Gatorade MRE’s

Coffee, sugar, creamer, instant coffee,

mops brooms yard rakes garden rakes shovels yard tools

large trash bags garbage cans plastic totes waterless hand sanitizer baby wipes (lots) Clorox wipes

tools chain saws hammers saws crow bars GENERATORS gas cans

money for gas for generators wheelbarrows coolers batteries flash lights

sleeping bags blankets pillows cases of BIBLES

paper products paper towels toilet paper laundry soap paper cups plates bowls

We need these items in LARGE quantities we are anticipating this as a long term relief effort with lots of volunteers to feed, house, and help take care of their basic needs. We will be in the neighborhoods, streets, and wherever we are needed.

Also we are looking for a “mobile” kitchen. If anyone has one or knows someone who has one please contact Sam or Darren ASAP. We need this so that we can prepare AT LEAST one hot meal a day for the volunteers. We also hope to be able to take some hot meals into the streets.

Anyone that is willing and able to volunteer will need at least a tetanus shot/booster. There may be other immunizations needed that I am unaware of at the moment. When we find this out the information will be passed along.

Also, as always we need prayer and for you to prayerfully consider any financial support you can give. We will be needing to buy gas and oil for chainsaws, gas for generators, dry ice for foods and such like.

God Bless and keep you,

Sam
Streetscape Ministries representative

P.S. Please forward this to anyone you may know that is interested in our type of ministry.

God Bless

Ninja Homer
09-13-2008, 09:02 AM

Second that. I think Josh (site owner) and Bryan (site admin) live in Galveston. There's a lot of other members around the area as well. It's Ron Paul's district, after all. We'd love to hear from you and know you're ok.

Bryan
09-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm in Houston. Doing OK but we lost a few trees here, its very sad. One of my favorite held strong but the land gave way. :( Power is out for most people but we've got a small generator and the internet is still up. Hopefully we can get out to our new business in Galveston on Sunday, it may be bad.

hopeforamerica
09-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Good to hear from you Bryan! Thanks for checking in.

TruckinMike
09-13-2008, 09:39 AM
I've had direct reports from Lake Jackson...

Somes trees are down with power outages --- but nothing like we were expecting.

TMike

Cowlesy
09-13-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm in Houston. Doing OK but we lost a few trees here, its very sad. One of my favorite held strong but the land gave way. :( Power is out for most people but we've got a small generator and the internet is still up. Hopefully we can get out to our new business in Galveston on Sunday, it may be bad.

Good to hear all is OK, Bryan.

Here is a link from CNN about what's going on.
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/09/13/hurricane.ike.texas/index.html

Ninja Homer
09-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Hi Bryan, glad to hear you're ok.

Losing trees is one of the worst kinds of storm damage. Insurance doesn't cover it at all, and it takes a long damn time to replace a big tree. My parents lost almost all their trees in a tornado about 10 years ago. The new ones they planted are just starting to get big enough to provide a little shade.

SnappleLlama
09-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Good luck, Texans!

pacelli
09-13-2008, 12:37 PM
4 Houston streaming video news feeds on 1 page:

http://www.maroonspoon.com/wx/ike.html

AmericasLastHope
09-13-2008, 01:38 PM
4 Houston streaming video news feeds on 1 page:

http://www.maroonspoon.com/wx/ike.html

Thanks for the link. I don't watch TV, so this helps. My parents are down there. Some of their fences and trees got knocked down. The building downtown where my dad used to work had lots of the windows blown out.