PDA

View Full Version : Article: A Libertarian in the White House?

LibertyEagle
09-04-2007, 08:28 AM
http://reason.com/blog/show/122276.html

CMoore
09-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Tough interview. But Dr. Paul did much better than your average candidate would have done. The question about judicial review is an interesting one. It is true the Supreme Court gave itself judicial review in Marbury v. Madison. But without it, what would be the check on the legislative and executive branch? Judicial review is sort of the third leg of the stool. Also there really is the need for someone to interpret how a law applies in a given situation. If the legislature does not like how the law is interpreted by the courts, they can legislate to clarify it and they frequently do. It all goes to the checks and balances. I suppose it could be argued that the constitution could be amended to give judicial review. But to ask a candidate whether or not they agree with it in 2007 is sort of just being argumetative. Whether or not he agrees with it is moot for the president. He can't do much about it anyway. It is how our jurisprudence has worked for over 200 years.

goldstandard
09-04-2007, 10:52 AM
In the comments section of the article one Eric Dondero is commenting sh&t! What poor sock is this?

drednot
09-04-2007, 11:23 AM
...But without it, what would be the check on the legislative and executive branch? ....

The traditional answer is "the States".
States could appoint their own Chief Justices, and a majority vote by these justices would determine constitutionality.

The result of letting federally appointed judges determine constitutionality has been, unsurprisingly, that the federal government has all power and the States have none.

FSP-Rebel
09-04-2007, 01:34 PM
In the comments section of the article one Eric Dondero is commenting sh&t! What poor sock is this?
And thus it all becomes clear... Dondero and Reason.com--2 peas in a pod. I was wondering why I couldn't stand Reason:D

American
09-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Is Dondero the one Ron Paul fired as is now running against Dr. Paul for this congressional seat in Texas?

CMoore
09-04-2007, 02:13 PM
The traditional answer is "the States".
States could appoint their own Chief Justices, and a majority vote by these justices would determine constitutionality.

The Supreme Court of a state can't do that. Federal law trumps the states.

JMann
09-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Does RP support direct election of Senators or does he think that State legislatures should appoint Senators?

richard1984
09-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Tough interview. But Dr. Paul did much better than your average candidate would have done.

Agreed.
Here's the thing, though: Do the other candidates get drilled in interviews like Ron Paul was in this one (and by drilled, I mean that the interviewer was obviously prepared and very sharp, and his questions were rapid but complicated)?
I really haven't seen ANY other presidential candidate (ever) engage in an interview like this. It's almost like they are trying to challenge Dr. Paul with their questions--in an attempt to trip him up or get him to say something "crazy"--but they haven't been able to break him.

The problem is: Ron Paul is a genius. The media isn't used to dealing with a person like Ron Paul--it's almost like the media doesn't know what to do or how to handle the situation.

It makes me think that maybe the media isn't censoring Ron Paul because of his ideas, message, etc., but rather because they don't know how to handle him--they are dumbfounded by the intellectual capacity and honesty of Dr. Paul. They're used to playing with plastic toys--not real human beings.
Honestly, most [conditioned, slave] people in the corporate, Hollywood-esque media are just too damn dumb to cover Ron Paul (so they just don't). It's pathetic.

The problem is when they DO give Ron Paul an engaging, thought-provoking interview and they just blow it off (it's not "cool" to be intelligent).

Anyway, you know what I'm sayin'?

nunaem
09-04-2007, 02:47 PM
LOL Read the comments from Eric Dondero, he's saying the media has a libertarian agenda and is giving RP a free ride LOL

My guess though, is that since the liberal and libertarian media wish only to give Ron Paul the Republican/Bush-basher a free ride, you won't see any reporters following up on this information.

slantedview
09-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Jeez, Eric gets hammered in those comments sections.

angelatc
09-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Dondero is a goof. Just for kicks, I looked at the book reviews on Amazon, and maybe it is just me, but it seemed that an inordinate amount of positive reviews came from Texas.

HOwever, none of them are signed "Eric's Mom," so I guess I'm just a conspiracy theorist.

LibertyEagle
09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Are you saying that doofus has a booK????

libertarian4321
09-05-2007, 05:24 AM
This guy Dondero sounds like a complete ass- probably some loser that got fired by Ron Paul (who'd want a guy like Dondero associated with his campaign?) and is spending his time attacking Ron Paul.

Maybe we should "help" his book by contributing comments to Amazon :).

I wouldn't waste money on the book, of course, but that doesn't mean I can't write a review- and it doesn't mean you folks can't write bad reviews as well...

libertarian4321
09-05-2007, 05:39 AM
Er, forget about my last comment, after seeing this line about Dondero's "best seller":

"Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,058,454"

I guess there's no reason to bury that book, lol- Dondero buried it himself...