PDA

View Full Version : A list of liberties we have lost?

I Am Weasel
09-13-2008, 05:05 AM
Does anybody know where I can find a website stating all the liberties we have lost?

I can think of one, when Clinton passed her health privacy act. I found out the hard way when I was going through a divorce and my soon to be ex was seeing a Chiropractor. She had been using my insurance to run up nearly $2,000 worth of services, after our divorce was final. Upon canceling the insurance the Chiropractor refused to tell me if she would be accountable for the bill. Instead it was clear they just used me for my insurance then when it was denied didn't bill her fully. I inquired with the office if her treatments were being successful, however they refused to tell me this as well, and with both issues they hid behind the health and privacy act which Clinton put into place. This is a loss of liberty in my view. So, what else is there?

mmink15
09-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Here's the ultimate source for tracking this kind of thing. Focuses on post 9-11 legislature.

http://www.historycommons.org/project.jsp?project=lossofcivilliberties

I Am Weasel
09-13-2008, 05:27 AM
rather difficult site to stroll through. I'm looking for something along the lines of taxation, basically a correlation of how much liberty we lose for having bigger government.

lynnf
09-13-2008, 05:39 AM
[QUOTE=I Am Weasel;1676531]Does anybody know where I can find a website stating all the liberties we have lost?

/QUOTE]

these deal with some of them:

http://www.aclu.org/multimedia/interactive/10050res20041022.html

others are:
the right to be secure in your person -
1. when detained by "law enforcement" they handcuff you even if you haven't done anything wrong - in effect an arrest - this wasn't happening before the 80s or so
2. you now have to show ID upon demand - used to be unconstitutional
3. police used to know something about and abide by the constitution and would not charge people for things that they charge for now
4. did you see the video of Amy Goodman and her producers at the RNC getting arrested? all they were doing was reporting on the protests
5. some people get arrested for asking questions at political events
(don't taze me, bro!)
6. big brother cameras everywhere!
7. creation of "free speech zones" - this was made possible by court rulings about abortion clinic protests - if they could be restricted for the "common good" then, why not everywhere else (be careful what you wish for!)
8. loss of right about cruel and inhuman punishment -- now torture is ok even before one has been convicted (tazers are being used to torture people into submission)
9. used to, when you signed up for direct deposit of funds, you had to sign to give them permission to withdraw funds in case of an error -- no more, they just changed the laws so that it wasn't required anymore (and what else changed with that?)
10. habeus corpus -- see Military Commissions Act of 2006
11. posse comitatus -- loss of this allows regular troops to be used against citizens
12. the rule of law -- the leaders of the country consider themselves to be above the law and therefore not bound to it

lynn

TastyWheat
09-13-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm not 100% on this, but can't border guards look through your laptop (force you to enter any passwords and unencrypt files) and even seize it without probable cause?

muzzled dogg
09-13-2008, 03:23 PM
yeah lemme get a list

AJ Antimony
09-13-2008, 03:26 PM
The easiest way to find a list is to simply Google "US Constitution"

CountryMe
09-13-2008, 05:55 PM
You can add to the list we have lost the right to choose whether or not to give children dangerous psychiatric drugs! In other words, Forced Psychiatry! Many in our government are for forced Mental Health Screening and I do think Dr. Paul addressed that, too.

I am NOT against medical doctors for medical reasons but there are well qualified doctors including some psychiatrists that even agree many of the forced psychiatric drugs on children are unsafe and not even approved to use in children! So, as long as there is that kind of qualified evidence against something (in this case psychiatric drugs) then parents should have the freedoms to choose them or not.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
09-13-2008, 06:25 PM
The right to trust others to take personal responsibility. Someone make a stupid decision on your property, in your store? It's your fault.

The right to decide what goes into or onto your own body.