View Full Version : Article: Hunter wins GOP straw poll in Texas

LibertyEagle
09-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Hunter wins GOP straw poll in Texas
Fred Thompson comes in second, Ron Paul third

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20582996/

MicroBalrog
09-04-2007, 08:49 AM
We're screwed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're going to start losing momentum.

CMoore
09-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Why do you say that?

specsaregood
09-04-2007, 08:57 AM
We're screwed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're going to start losing momentum.

Have you hit the streets? Are you active in a meetup group?
We aren't losing momentum, it is building. I got no less than 5 people EXCITED about Ron Paul saturday. And quite a few more interested, very interested. And that was just me.

ThePieSwindler
09-04-2007, 08:58 AM

the fuck you talking about? Go through the hundred or so pages posted on this subject over the past few days and tell me why exactly we are screwed? We got 16.7% in a poll of rank and file Texas republican delegates. Had say, giuliani showed up, it would have killed hunter's numbers, NOT paul's. We did fine, Hunter simply won because he is a warmonger and the majority of the delegates liked that, i guess.

MicroBalrog
09-04-2007, 09:24 AM
And now contemplate this:

How can we win the primaries without winning over the conservatives that compose the GOP?

specsaregood
09-04-2007, 09:31 AM
And now contemplate this:

How can we win the primaries without winning over the conservatives that compose the GOP?

Uhm, he got 16.7% of that conservative vote. The rest would have been split among the rest of the wide field of candidates.

Then add on all the NEW republican supporters (quite possibly outnumbering that 16.7%) and we have a real shot.

Nobody is saying this is in the bag, but to shoot off about "losing momentum" demonstrates to me a lack of understanding about the passion in REAL LIFE. MicroBalrog, are you a member of an meetup groups? Have you participated in any real life events to get out the word? If not, then it would make sense that you would not know how many of us there are and how passionate we are. Ron Paul's support is not dwindling and his momentum is certainly not going down. At least not anytime in the near future.

lucius
09-04-2007, 09:32 AM

Bullsh*t! Dr. Paul's growth is exponential, his followers are sharing non-MSM belief sets, such as jury nullification, anti-NAU, anti-big government etc...; and the TPTB are facing a r3VOLution--pretty terrifying for the go-along-get-along status quo. Buck-up, keep your head down, it's going to be all right!

MicroBalrog
09-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Bullsh*t! Dr. Paul's growth is exponential, his followers are sharing non-MSM belief sets, such as jury nullification, anti-NAU, anti-big government etc...; a!

And this is the problem - I'm quite the libertarian (except my foreign policy positions, I disagree with the doctor there) - I oppose the income tax, I support jury nullfication, etc.

But we MUST learn to sell the Doctor to a mainstream audience if we are to prevail.

There's a reason the MSM is called "mainstream" - because a lot of people believe them.

Mort
09-04-2007, 09:47 AM
I find it unsettling that Ron Paul could not beat Hunter in Texas as well. He should be able to win in his home state. Of course it does not mean we should work any less hard.

JMann
09-04-2007, 10:20 AM
I find it unsettling that Ron Paul could not beat Hunter in Texas as well. He should be able to win in his home state. Of course it does not mean we should work any less hard.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Republicans die hards in Texas but these are people that actually believe Jesus is up in the clouds looking down on them. Not exactly the most open minded, big tent kind of thinkers. For a candidate like Paul to get 16+% from this group is pretty good.

cjhowe
09-04-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm so glad that all of you can get a pulse of the Texas GOP by looking at a tally of a straw poll while sitting on your duff on the internets. The fact is NOBODY showed up to this event. The Texas GOP didn't care enough to come out. They invited 17,000 delegates (the party's activists who congregate at the convention every other June to decide the party platform), were expecting 10,000 people (3,300 delegates) to show up and got 3,000 people (1,300 delegates). Almost half of those people that showed were Ron Paul supporters. I wish y'all would take the time to write opinion articles to your local newspapers pointing this out. The rank and file has no leadership. Stop spamming polls, and start spamming Republican clubs and local newspaper's editorial departments. Ron Paul is the only Republican in the race.

LibertyEagle
09-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I agree. We should each be trying our best to submit a Letter to the Editor every week.