PDA

View Full Version : Ten GOP Candidates Register for WVGOP Presidential Convention To Be Held Feb. 5

Spirit of '76
09-04-2007, 08:23 AM
This just in via email:

WVGOP PRESIDENTIAL CONVENTION

For Immediate Release

September 4, 2007

Attn: Political Editors and Reporters

TEN GOP CANDIDATES REGISTER FOR WVGOP PRESIDENTIAL CONVENTION TO BE HELD FEBRUARY 5, 2008

Charleston, WV – The West Virginia Republican Presidential Convention, Inc. announced today that ten Republican presidential candidates have registered to participate in the state convention that will determine the majority of West Virginia’s delegates to the Republican National Convention in the summer of 2008. The deadline to register for the convention was September 1, 2007.

The following candidates have registered for the convention:

Sam Brownback

Rudy Giuliani

Mike Huckabee

Duncan Hunter

Alan Keyes

John McCain

Ron Paul

Mitt Romney

Fred Thompson

Gene Zarwell

“I am extremely pleased with the number of Republican candidates who recognize the important role that West Virginia will play in the 2008 presidential race,” said Bob Fish, CEO of the WVGOP Presidential Convention, Inc. “It is clear that these candidates realize that West Virginia may indeed be the tipping point on ‘Tsunami Tuesday’ since we will report the results of our convention by late-afternoon, hours before the other states with primaries on February 5.”

The next step in the convention process is the filing and election of state convention delegates. Over 1400 delegates have been allocated to West Virginia’s 55 counties. The deadline for filing is November 30.

In addition, prior to being certified, the presidential candidates must designate the 18 national convention delegates to be certified should they win the state convention. This designation must be completed, along with their final certificate of candidacy, by December 31, 2007.

Convention CEO Bob Fish will be available for interviews today for interested media.

- ### -

PAID FOR BY WVGOP PRESIDENTIAL CONVENTION, INC.

LarryWhite
09-04-2007, 08:47 AM
So the only one not to pay the fee is Tancredo and Cox. That's good, the more candidates there are the more the vote splits. I look for some GOP establishment to start jumping on the Thompson wagon any day now.

mdh
09-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Keyes stands out. Very very interesting.

I was also wondering who that Zarwell guy is.

Razmear
09-04-2007, 12:09 PM
So if Fred registered, doesn't that make him a candidate as of 9/1 and required to file the FEC reports?

eb

mdh
09-04-2007, 12:13 PM
So if Fred registered, doesn't that make him a candidate as of 9/1 and required to file the FEC reports?

eb

It could thus be argued that a PEC taking this sort of action is highly inappropriate in the spirit of the law. Actually pushing it is another story.

bbachtung
09-04-2007, 04:36 PM
The candidates could register or a group supporting the candidate could register. It was a tricky little loophole that I suspect was added for Fred's benefit. My guess is that Fred had "supporters" who took it upon themselves to get him on the ballot (if you believe that, then . . . ); I do, however, suspect that Keyes is on there solely because of the efforts of the Draft Keyes movement (it will never die).

Matt_R
09-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Has anyone heard of Zarwell before?

ghemminger
09-04-2007, 04:47 PM
How is this significant?

Spirit of '76
09-04-2007, 05:10 PM
How is this significant?

One milestone has been met: The campaign has paid the fees and he is now on the ballot for the convention.

This email also lays out the next milestones we must meet, which involve the delegate slate.

Cowlesy
09-04-2007, 05:19 PM
One milestone has been met: The campaign has paid the fees and he is now on the ballot for the convention.

This email also lays out the next milestones we must meet, which involve the delegate slate.

I'm assuming YOU and the other West Virginian RP supporters are ALL going to be delegates :)

Spirit of '76
09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
That's the plan, though I think it's ultimately up to the campaign.

Larry White (LarryWhite on this board) and Matt Harris (mdh) are each compiling lists of potential delegates.

Spirit of '76
09-05-2007, 03:07 PM
An encouraging sign?

I just heard the the convention chairman, Bob Fish, on the radio, and you know what he said?

I'll tell ya. He said:

"This is just one of the great things about our democracy and about our convention process, you don't need to get anyone's permission to run for President," said Fish. "If you meet the requirements of running, you can simply file and, I believe, if you've got the best message that people are putting out and do a good job of getting it to the people, West Virginia is a small enough state that an underdog could win a very important victory here."

That sounds like a challenge to me! :D

You can read the news story or listen to the audio here:
http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=20630

Michael Ingram
09-05-2007, 06:40 PM
An encouraging sign?

I just heard the the convention chairman, Bob Fish, on the radio, and you know what he said?

I'll tell ya. He said:

That sounds like a challenge to me! :D

You can read the news story or listen to the audio here:
http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=20630

And we're counting on you to meet it! :)