PDA

View Full Version : Why can't a Third Party candidate cannot win.

Psych0t
09-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Before a flamer decides to flame, realize how under the current system a third party candidate can never win.

Keep the list going!

- Half of American high school students think it's illegal to start a third party.

- If you do not registered to vote GOP or Democrat, then you may not vote in the primaries

- Someone must decide whether or not the presidential ticket is frivolous

- The use the word "Third Party" may be associated with underdeveloped

- Voter antipathy

Monolithic
09-12-2008, 09:05 PM
-electoral college

IRO-bot
09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
That and your title contradicts itself.

Psych0t
09-12-2008, 09:25 PM
-electoral college

I agree. The founding fathers set it up to restrain the power of the masses. States with smaller populations have padded electoral college numbers, and they begin to add up. The electoral college operates in the same way the "Only Landowners may vote" clause operated in the original Constitution.

Psych0t
09-12-2008, 09:31 PM

Thank you. I've been writing all day and this is something I overlooked.

christagious
09-12-2008, 09:31 PM

+1

nate895
09-12-2008, 09:36 PM
They never have any money. Get rid of that problem, they can win, and given the current winner-take-all system they could replace major parties. If we implemented a proportional system or shrunk electoral districts to be the size of what they are in the UK we could have true third parties that won office without actually winning the vote.

mediahasyou
09-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Is Voting an Act of Violence?
http://www.voluntaryist.com/articles/103.php

Psych0t
09-12-2008, 09:52 PM
They never have any money. Get rid of that problem, they can win.

I don't think money was a problem for Ross Perot.

torchbearer
09-12-2008, 09:53 PM

double negative.
Why a third party candidate cannot win.

IRO-bot
09-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Aye. It is simple though. The toughest part is the biased laws and rules against third party candidates. Also, the lack of media attention hurts. Without the media saying all day long that you have a chance to win. I.E. Obama can take this, McCain can take that, YOU will not stick into the head of the average American who only cares enough to vote for the president based off what he hears on a few news clips.

Remember 30% of America decides who runs the country. That leaves 60% who don't care or don't have someone who represents their views. That is a LARGE majority.

nate895
09-13-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't think money was a problem for Ross Perot.

Ross Perot ran a poor campaign. He dropped out, then got back in. If he would have stayed in, he'd have at least been competitive. He still showed up strong despite his campaign's mishandling of his money.

Dr.3D
09-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Third party candidates are not seen in the main stream media. It is impossible for them to get into the two party operated debates. If people don't know what the third party candidates have for a platform, they can't be informed about them enough to vote for them.

Presently the debates are set up by the two party system and there is absolutely no way a third party candidate is ever going to be in those debates.

All candidates need equal access to the debates and equal main stream media time. This is the only way a third party candidate is ever going to win.

Even one of the two party candidates can be cut out of the media. Look what happened to Ron Paul. If the main stream media (owners) don't want a person to be president, then they are not going to be president.