PDA

View Full Version : Since discovering RP, have you changed your spending, saving, & investment habits?

Mahkato
09-12-2008, 07:03 PM
I find purchasing "stuff" a lot less appealing now. I get somewhat sickened by the rows and rows of plastic toys at Wal-mart, and lately I've even been pondering how worthless most of our possessions would be if we actually fall into a depression. I haven't gone into full survivalist mode or anything like that, but I have purchased more non-perishable food than normal (mostly as an inflation hedge -- buy a can of beans now for $0.79 or next year for $0.95). I'm also hesitant to put a lot into my retirement accounts, even though conventional wisdom says that's foolishness.

Has anyone else changed their personal economic habits lately?

RCA
09-12-2008, 07:41 PM
My passion for my old hobbies (college football, movies and music) has been transported to my new hobbies (politics, reading and precious metals). I still like the old hobbies, but it is more used to give me a break from my new hobbies rather than being at the top of my list.

rodo1776
09-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I find purchasing "stuff" a lot less appealing now. I get somewhat sickened by the rows and rows of plastic toys at Wal-mart, and lately I've even been pondering how worthless most of our possessions would be if we actually fall into a depression. I haven't gone into full survivalist mode or anything like that, but I have purchased more non-perishable food than normal (mostly as an inflation hedge -- buy a can of beans now for $0.79 or next year for $0.95). I'm also hesitant to put a lot into my retirement accounts, even though conventional wisdom says that's foolishness.

Less gas consumption. Try to combine trips. Buying food in advance like canned stuff as you say save the .20 on the can in a year and it is way more than what I make in interest.

Always ask myself if i need it? Go to garage sales and buy all my clothes for next year. Also anything else I need.

Garage sales are great!!

All my investments in my IRA so any profits are not taxed. Keep driving my 91 pickup rather than buy new.

Ride a bike more. The list goes on. (also savings here can go to campaign donations)

jkm1864
09-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Flashy toys are now a thing of the past ... I have been spending what free money I have on Food, Guns, Ammo, and Gun stuff. I know one day We will wake up and realize what little bit of freedom we had is now gone. I plan to be prepared for that day especially when the economy goes to hell and the zombie hordes start stealing left and right.

aspiringconstitutionalist
09-12-2008, 08:31 PM
OH yeah. I was kind of a bad spender before I got involved in the Ron Paul campaign. Listening to so much talk about "living within our means" and not "printing money out of thin air," I soon found it impossible not to start balancing my own budget and putting away the credit cards. I owe it all to Dr. Paul. :)

Roxi
09-12-2008, 08:56 PM

YES!!!! this happened to me too after one, the RP movement, and two, getting a job as a manager of a retail store, similar to wal-mart.... it makes me seriously sad to see the crap these people are spending their money on... for example... a woman came in, bought 2 dvd's for her kids, one of them was an old power rangers vid, the other was a 50 cent dvd (this kid was like 7 anyway) and after the two vids, candy and soda's it was like 30 bucks or so... i wanted to tell her she was rediculous...

i have changed my outlook on spending dramatically

if i don't need it, i don't buy it

ClockwiseSpark
09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
My passion for my old hobbies (college football, movies and music) has been transported to my new hobbies (politics, reading and precious metals). I still like the old hobbies, but it is more used to give me a break from my new hobbies rather than being at the top of my list.

Same here, different hobbies though ;)

RSLudlum
09-12-2008, 09:04 PM
YES!!!! this happened to me too after one, the RP movement, and two, getting a job as a manager of a retail store, similar to wal-mart.... it makes me seriously sad to see the crap these people are spending their money on... for example... a woman came in, bought 2 dvd's for her kids, one of them was an old power rangers vid, the other was a 50 cent dvd (this kid was like 7 anyway) and after the two vids, candy and soda's it was like 30 bucks or so... i wanted to tell her she was rediculous...

i have changed my outlook on spending dramatically

if i don't need it, i don't buy it

but, but I thought 'consumption' was the engine, and savings/investment the caboose :rolleyes:

Micah Dardar
09-12-2008, 09:32 PM
I learned something. I don't want my federal reserve notes to go bad in my hands by hyperinflation or death. I spend them. Maybe that is Dr. Paul's economic stimulus plan. ;)

hopeforamerica
09-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Our spending and savings habits are what lead me and my husband to Ron Paul. Specifically,Peter Schiff, had Ron Paul on one of his shows before he announced his run for Presidency. It was then, my husband said "if this guy ever runs for President, I'm voting for him!" The day we found out he was running, my husband maxed out his donations to Ron Paul.

alaric
09-12-2008, 11:22 PM
not really, but it's hard to remember my habits back in 1986.:p

Mark
09-13-2008, 12:14 AM
No changes except storing food after learning more about the economic conditions.

I've always been non-materialistic.

Pauls' Revere
09-13-2008, 01:26 AM
I paid off my credit cards!! and literally melted them down. If your in debt you are OWNED.

In the process of paying off more debt before I can place investments into other vehicles. Looking into www.egold.com (mentioned here on RPF) as a currency converter. Thank you poster for that website!

I spend fiat dollars as fast as I grab them. They are worthless pieces of paper so I may as well get as much value out of it while it still has value (basic economics here). Of course I stamp all these fiat bills with "NOT BACKED BY GOLD" and register them on www.wheresgeorge.com to track where they go. Also, I use this to educate the public about the fiat dollar, etc...Thus my new hobby and interest in politics and economics.

I have more interest in global politics because of our foriegn policy interventions. This gets wierd looks form lots of people when I discuss (or try to) obscure world leaders like Mugabee and what he has to do with the U.S.?

My critical thinking skills have improved. The media is a joke, and so is our political system as it is.

I read the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independance. Two documents which most of our politicians have NEVER read.

Exercised my second amendment right to bear arms.

and much...

much...

more.

:D

Mopsus
09-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Prior to Dr. Paul, I would walk into my financial "advisor's" office and being a guy in his 30s, was just like the rest of the sheeple and followed their directions. Due to ignorance, I'd simply check the "little risk/moderate growth funds" box on their pre-printed forms.

Post RP, I went in to see the gentleman and I starting asking hard core investment/fiscal questions and started discussing Jim Rogers and Peter Schiff-like issue and the man's head almost imploded. He couldn't believe that I knew this stuff and he pulled back this year's little form and asked if we could re-schedule so as to bring in his senior partner who is more aware of commodities/currencies/Asian markets etc. This never happened before.

I left thinking, knowledge really is power. How long have I been getting screwed by these guys and the financial system in general? Thank you Dr. Paul.