PDA

View Full Version : College major

strapko
09-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey guys, its my 2nd year of college and I am currently undecided. I am fascinated by the free market and enjoy studying Austrian economics on my free time, though currently reading wealth of nations. I was going to major in economics until I found out every Cuny in New York city teaches that statist, Keynesian stuff. What majors will teach unbiased workings of the market place and has good paying job placement?

I was thinking of just majoring communications and studying economics on my own. Anyways, present me with some good majors having to do with the workings of the markets.

Mahkato
09-12-2008, 03:48 PM
If you're cool with moving, you might want to check out Hillsdale College (http://www.hillsdale.edu/).

strapko
09-12-2008, 03:58 PM
If you're cool with moving, you might want to check out Hillsdale College (http://www.hillsdale.edu/).

Nope, don't have the money.

0zzy
09-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Nope, don't have the money.

teach yourself and attend Austrian classes when you get a chance. try to major in something like businesses for less biased teachings (since they'll have to teach you economics and such).

Isaac Bickerstaff
09-12-2008, 04:10 PM
You can be an intern on my farm and learn about markets the hard way.

strapko
09-12-2008, 04:13 PM
You can be an intern on my farm and learn about markets the hard way.

lol

dannno
09-12-2008, 04:15 PM
The opinion that I have heard from others is that communications is worthless.

Learning Keynesian economics is not a bad thing. You also learn a lot of important economic principles as an econ major which are not related to keynesian economics and promote the free market. I will be the first one to say that they will leave a lot of things out regarding banking and our monetary system.

Some of the things they will teach you will be untrue, but the fun part is learning to recognize which things they are teaching you are useful and which are there to deceive business people into propagating the system of monetary expansion through the Federal Reserve.

strapko
09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
What about fiance and investments?

lucius
09-12-2008, 04:23 PM
My two cents:

Find a state that still has a 2 yr dental hygienist degree (after 2 yrs of prerequisites), like Texas. Don't go into much debt and become a dental hygienist to support yourself. Make about $250/day with benefits. Need more money, bust-*ss and work for more dentists or work four days and have perpetual 3-day weekends, take a year off and come back--not many professions where you can do that (you may find as you get older that being in control of your own time is a very precious commodity). Then you are able to support yourself and go acquire the education you truly desire in a pay-as-you-go fashion; be careful with debt. Note--I am not hygienist nor a dentist, but have a good dentist friend who shares observations; I studied engineering in my undergrad & have had several decades experience as a corporate serf.

ps: The way our economy is going; it will be better if you know how to do something/vocation as a backup. In the climate of heavy layoffs, few companies will hire kids at entry level over experienced people willing to work cheap just to survive--it could be ugly. Higher education is pretty much more indoctrination/waste of money-time/extending childhood, but useful getting you through the door.

As you may have already figured out, being your own master, reading books, creating disciplined habits, verifying with free discourse, creates a far superior education vs. state-sponsored spoon-feeding.

Alex Libman
09-12-2008, 04:26 PM
International Business

dannno
09-12-2008, 04:53 PM
What about fiance and investments?

ehh.. that will focus more towards the accounting side...then for the rest you can get a financial calculator like the HP 10BII for $30 and read the manual and learn a good portion of the rest of the major. I took quite a few finance classes as an econ major, but by focusing on that you will end up missing more of the economic theory courses.

You don't really start thinking as an economist until you start talking about capturing consumer surpluses with multi-tiered quality and pricing, horizontal vs. vertical business structures.. You'll know it when your professor starts talking about how you are a (i.e.) Coor's distributor and you cannot set the prices, and how they use their business model to enforce their policy of keeping beer refrigerated and cold all the way to the store without having some fascist device tracking them. I really felt like that class taught me how to use free market solutions to answer business problems, even though it's been years and I can't for the life of me remember how Coor's keeps their beer cold all the way to the store.

Econometrics is pretty cool too.

rockandrollsouls
09-12-2008, 06:59 PM
teach yourself and attend Austrian classes when you get a chance. try to major in something like businesses for less biased teachings (since they'll have to teach you economics and such).

Business is, perhaps, the most biased. Try learning out of a book that is contingent on everything circling the Federal Reserve, SEC, etc etc.

If you want a stable job I'd suggest accounting.....accountants are always needed.