PDA

View Full Version : Get gas...

reduen
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Just a friendly reminder if you have not gotten it already.

I know I am about 12hrs late on this and I am sorry for that but getting it now might save you a couple hundred dollars still!

Prices are shooting up as we speak...

RonPaulVolunteer
09-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah, have been thinking all morning to do it.

SnappleLlama
09-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Gas prices around here only went up about one cent since yesterday...what seems to be the trouble, officer?

RonPaulVolunteer
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Gas prices around here only went up about one cent since yesterday...what seems to be the trouble, officer?

Ah, IKE, Texas, refineries....

reduen
09-12-2008, 12:16 PM
It went up from $3.59 early this morning to $3.79 now here in northern Arkansas...

Some reports of over $5.00 per gallon also, that I have not confirmed yet...

Dorfsmith
09-12-2008, 12:17 PM
On some of the ebay blogs I read people have been saying gas is over $5.00

SnappleLlama
09-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Ah, IKE, Texas, refineries....

It's not having an impact here...at least, not yet. Plus, I try to ride my bike to work :D

jonathans
09-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Stations are running out of gas, too. Some gas station owners here are saying their suppliers may not be able to get more for 2 weeks.
<<<central Mississippi

reduen
09-12-2008, 12:22 PM
On some of the ebay blogs I read people have been saying gas is over $5.00

Yeah, I overheard some lady saying that it was $6.00 per gallon somewhere but so far that seems to be an exaggeration..

reduen
09-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Stations are running out of gas, too. Some gas station owners here are saying their suppliers may not be able to get more for 2 weeks.
<<<central Mississippi

I have confirmed a rumor that one of our gas stations here said they would not be ordering any more gas until this mess over Ike is over.

Sad that our government has put us in this position...:(

SnappleLlama
09-12-2008, 12:25 PM
WTF? Is Pennsylvania in a friggin' vacuum? I always knew there was something strange about this place....

Isaac Bickerstaff
We are about to experience the elasticity of demand for gasoline.
Oh, wait. that would be in a FREE market, not one where foreign oil subsidizes our debt/dollar.
We're pretty much screwed.

angelatc
Our media put us in this position.

reduen
09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Guys and gals, I have a very bad feeling about this gas situation right now. You might want to warn all of your folks out there....

Not trying to scare anyone, just trying to help you save some cash. :)

Razmear
09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
I just paid 3.89/gal in Anderson SC. Up from 3.42 yesterday.
The station owner said he is low on gas and will not be able to resupply til Monday at the earliest.
He stated that the refineries in Texas were shut down in anticipation of the hurricanes and that is why gas has been increasing here the past few days.
I personally believe this is an artificially created shortage so that the bastards can gouge us even more before prices drop. Oil was $96 a bbl when I checked before heading out to verify these rumors and get some gas.
If you are in SC and don't have enough gas to make it til monday, I'd recommend getting enough to last you because it's running out. Several stations in Anderson are already dry.
Once again we are being screwed by big oil and I can't wait for the day when we can screw them back.

eb

reduen
09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Up to $4.50 per gallon now confirmed here in Arkansas...

Ninja Homer
09-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the warning. I needed gas anyway, and just filled up for $3.44/gallon, and that was for the medium grade stuff (same price as the low grade). I guess it may take a little longer for the costs to trickle up to Minnesota.

A full tank usually lasts me a couple weeks, because I work from home and just don't drive that much. Hopefully that'll be long enough to last through any price bumps.

Damnit, I just remembered I have a wedding in Wisconsin to go to tomorrow. :mad: Oh well, if the price jumps tonight I guess I just saved some money.

Ninja Homer
09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
If gas prices start going up, this might be interesting to watch: http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

It's also a good site for finding the cheapest gas station near you.

Melissa
09-12-2008, 01:26 PM
If gas prices start going up, this might be interesting to watch: http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

It's also a good site for finding the cheapest gas station near you.

I like that site thanks, it even lets you zoom in and find your county and city

Razmear
09-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Just saw this posted at a SC News website:

As of noon today, September 12, 2008, Attorney General McMaster has invoked the
state’s price gouging prohibition statute
“President Bush has declared a state of emergency in Louisiana and Texas due to Hurricane Ike. Pursuant
to SC Code Section 39-5-145, the attorney general now gives notice of an “abnormal disruption of the
market” for gasoline and other petroleum products in South Carolina.
Therefore, as of this notice, price gouging for gasoline and other commodities constitutes an unfair trade
practice and a criminal misdemeanor. “Price gouging” requires the charging of an “unconscionable price”
not attributed to additional costs or market fluctuations. An unfair trade practice violation carries a civil
penalty of up to $5,000 per violation 39-5-110. In addition, the criminal penalty is a fine of up to $1,000
and imprisonment of no more than 30 days 39-5-145(K).
Citizens should report inordinate and suspected violations immediately to local law enforcement. This
office has also established a special email address -- GasPrices@SCAttorneyGeneral.com, and an
information line at (803) 734-3970.”
During such declared period of market abnormality, it is illegal to rent or sell or offer to rent or sell a
commodity at an “unconscionable price” within the state or other recognized area within the state.
Those commodities are defined as goods, services, materials, merchandise, supplies, equipment,
resources, or other articles of commerce, and includes, without limitation, food, water, ice, chemicals,
petroleum products, and lumber essential for consumption or use as a direct result of a declared state of
emergency.
“Unconscionable price” means an amount charged, which either represents a “gross disparity” or
“grossly exceeds” the average price available for those items and services in the same area thirty (30)
days immediately before a declaration of a state of emergency.

hopeforamerica
09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Never, ever let your tank get below 1/2 tank. You never know what will be decided while you sleep.

go_carolina_528
09-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Gas prices are going crazy here in South Carolina. We used to have some of the cheapest prices in the nation now gas is going for 5 dollars in some places. In my area most stations are out and the ones that have gas are going for 4.29 and up.
http://www.wistv.com/

freelance
09-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I just heard on MSNBC something about gas rationing in 11 Southeast states. I did NOT hear the whole story. I think they mean that gas stations are limiting how much you can buy at one time, but I'm not sure.

Meanwhile, here in TN, we have LONG lines at some stations--the ones that are still $360ish. NO lines at the $3.90ish and $4+ stations in the area.

Whoever said, "never let your gas tank go below half" is SO right! I wish I had the discipline to follow that advice. I keep thinking that I'll just get it tomorrow. BAD habit...

Dorfsmith
09-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow!

tekkierich
09-12-2008, 02:30 PM
I bought 25 gallons of gas to keep in the shed before I went to the Rally for the Republic. I always like to keep some extra "bug out" gas around.

The reserves are not to escape price bumps. It is more to escape any potential supply disruptions.

angelatc
09-12-2008, 02:33 PM
The media created this panic.

reduen
09-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the warning. I needed gas anyway, and just filled up for $3.44/gallon, and that was for the medium grade stuff (same price as the low grade). I guess it may take a little longer for the costs to trickle up to Minnesota.

A full tank usually lasts me a couple weeks, because I work from home and just don't drive that much. Hopefully that'll be long enough to last through any price bumps.

Damnit, I just remembered I have a wedding in Wisconsin to go to tomorrow. :mad: Oh well, if the price jumps tonight I guess I just saved some money.

No problem my friend, I just hope I saved people some money by reminding them...

idiom
09-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Rationing in 11 states right now.

A Big Houston hurricane on the back of a LA hurricane is pretty much worst case for Oil supplies.

Ike could bury several refinieries which could mean *weeks* of gasoline shortages.

Which might mean a week or two of food shortages.

Don't panic or anything.

freelance
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Rationing in 11 states right now.

A Big Houston hurricane on the back of a LA hurricane is pretty much worst case for Oil supplies.

Ike could bury several refinieries which could mean *weeks* of gasoline shortages.

Which might mean a week or to food shortages.

Don't panic or anything.

They just said 150 refineries shut down for now.

Dorfsmith
09-12-2008, 03:00 PM
You guys just made me go out and get gas :D It's $3.71 here up 10 cents from yesterday.

SnappleLlama
09-12-2008, 03:01 PM
LOL...it's still $3.39 where I am!

idiom
09-12-2008, 03:03 PM
90% + of everything has been shutdown *since* Gustav.

This mean that inventories are really low and nearing minimum operating levels. Shortages have been showing up since last week in the mid-west.

20 Feet of Salt Water may take some of the really really big Houston refineries ofline for a while. Is such a case the Strategic Petroleum Reserve won't help because its all crude and there won't be anywhere to refine it fast enoguh.

skinnyskittles1989
09-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Just saw this posted at a SC News website:

As of noon today, September 12, 2008, Attorney General McMaster has invoked the
state’s price gouging prohibition statute
“President Bush has declared a state of emergency in Louisiana and Texas due to Hurricane Ike. Pursuant
to SC Code Section 39-5-145, the attorney general now gives notice of an “abnormal disruption of the
market” for gasoline and other petroleum products in South Carolina.
Therefore, as of this notice, price gouging for gasoline and other commodities constitutes an unfair trade
practice and a criminal misdemeanor. “Price gouging” requires the charging of an “unconscionable price”
not attributed to additional costs or market fluctuations. An unfair trade practice violation carries a civil
penalty of up to $5,000 per violation 39-5-110. In addition, the criminal penalty is a fine of up to $1,000
and imprisonment of no more than 30 days 39-5-145(K).
Citizens should report inordinate and suspected violations immediately to local law enforcement. This
office has also established a special email address -- GasPrices@SCAttorneyGeneral.com, and an
information line at (803) 734-3970.”
During such declared period of market abnormality, it is illegal to rent or sell or offer to rent or sell a
commodity at an “unconscionable price” within the state or other recognized area within the state.
Those commodities are defined as goods, services, materials, merchandise, supplies, equipment,
resources, or other articles of commerce, and includes, without limitation, food, water, ice, chemicals,
petroleum products, and lumber essential for consumption or use as a direct result of a declared state of
emergency.
“Unconscionable price” means an amount charged, which either represents a “gross disparity” or
“grossly exceeds” the average price available for those items and services in the same area thirty (30)
days immediately before a declaration of a state of emergency.

that's messed up. if you don't let them raise prices then the gas is gonna be gone in no time

Dorfsmith
09-12-2008, 04:01 PM
A friend of mine in NC just posted on my board and said she talked to her mom in SC and the cheapest gas was $9.99 and there were still huge lines before it sold out.

jcarcinogen
09-12-2008, 04:09 PM
My town has gas stations out of gas (military town north of Panama City, FL), the few that do have gas have lines of cars. I think it's an irrational gas run (the companies knew demand would go up but did not redistribute supply as always)... it always happens when a hurricane hits, but not usually when its hitting so far away. But there are a lot of evacuees here adding to increased demand I suppose. Its 5:21pm locally and I was just on the road a half hour ago and the bars, clubs, and hotels are packed.

idiom
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
My town has gas stations out of gas (military town north of Panama City, FL), the few that do have gas have lines of cars. I think it's an irrational gas run (the companies knew demand would go up but did not redistribute supply as always)... it always happens when a hurricane hits, but not usually when its hitting so far away. But there are a lot of evacuees here adding to increased demand I suppose. Its 5:21pm locally and I was just on the road a half hour ago and the bars, clubs, and hotels are packed.

There is very little gas to redistribute. Gustav chewed the inventories.

A lot of stations are just shutting shop because gas is to high to sell without getting torched.

freelance
09-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Here's a little more on the gas situation:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=asJVNMXFF4yc&refer=worldwide

werdd
09-12-2008, 05:36 PM
just got a fillup, still 3.69 in abilene texas.... the local grocery store was selling for 3.39, i drove by and cars were lined up 40+ cars back over 10 gas pumps... decided the wait wasnt worth it.

My area might not be as affected as others, there is alot of local oil around here still..

werdd
09-12-2008, 05:46 PM
So what are the estimates for how high gasoline could go? if 14% of our oil comes from the gulf coast at an average of 3.69 a gallon, 14% is 50 cents, so you would think a bare minimum of .50 nationwide.

not accounting the demographics for how much of that oil is dispersed in the south, and how much it will cost to truck in the other stuff.

devil21
09-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Here in Charlotte, prices are steady around 3.70/gal but most stations are already sold out.

I have a really bad feeling about this development. Not because I see a gas shortage or price spike but rather because it seems like a "test". Like, just how fast can the media turn a relatively normal occurence like a hurricane into a near "crisis" with gas rationing and price gouging? Seems like practically overnight! I feel like the strings are just being pulled again to watch the American people dance like trained monkeys.

freelance
09-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks to whoever mentioned to get food.

devil21
09-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks to whoever mentioned to get food.

I work from home and have a half tank in my SUV, so I skipped the gas lines and stocked up on beer and smokes instead :p

Dorfsmith
09-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh no, I only have 5 beers left! :D

idiom
09-12-2008, 06:01 PM
get Ethanol and kill two birds with one solvent.

reduen
09-12-2008, 09:37 PM
get Ethanol and kill two birds with one solvent.

Now that right there is funny, I don't care who ya are...! yuck yuck...:D

kirkblitz
09-12-2008, 10:02 PM
this is not a joke, here in my area of SC gas has gone from 3:30 to 5:21. Sams club is out of gas, a lot of the gas stations are out and the ones with gas are limiting it to 10 gallons and the line is like 20 friggin cars. Its crazy

reduen
09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
this is not a joke, here in my area of SC gas has gone from 3:30 to 5:21. Sams club is out of gas, a lot of the gas stations are out and the ones with gas are limiting it to 10 gallons and the line is like 20 friggin cars. Its crazy

Might be why I tried to give everyone a warning here.. Ya think...?

idiom
09-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Got Bikes/bunker?

RSLudlum
09-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Might be why I tried to give everyone a warning here.. Ya think...?

Yeah, I informed my family and friends wednesday night/thursday morning ;)

It's always prudent to search for news instead of waiting for the MSM to tell ya (if they ever do). :D

reduen
09-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I informed my family and friends wednesday night/thursday morning ;)

It's always prudent to search for news instead of waiting for the MSM to tell ya (if they ever do). :D

I know, I know, I was late on this.... I already said sorry. :o

Hey, wait a minute. Why didn't you warn me earlier?? :confused:

JosephTheLibertarian
09-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Maybe they're trying to force us into public transportation?

RSLudlum
09-12-2008, 10:46 PM
I know, I know, I was late on this.... I already said sorry. :o

Hey, wait a minute. Why didn't you warn me earlier?? :confused:

We did, We did.....Late Thursday in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=155019 ;)

Brassmouth
09-12-2008, 10:54 PM
$3.19 here in southern NJ :D

(still not great but what can ya do?)

reduen
09-12-2008, 10:55 PM
We did, We did.....Late Thursday in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=155019 ;)

You mean you people actually visit other places on this forum...? I am a Grassroots Central Only Man myself. :p

RSLudlum
09-12-2008, 11:14 PM
$3.19 here in southern NJ :D

(still not great but what can ya do?)

Seems it is really affecting the midwest and south-east first more than anywhere else

Zera
09-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I saw a $5.25 somewhere... Getting pretty crazy.

I live in Georgia, by the way.