PDA

View Full Version : Blame the "Liberty Reform Caucus" for Bob Barr being nominated!

Menthol Patch
09-12-2008, 01:52 AM
If you want to know what has went wrong with the Libertarian Party and how a neocon like Bob Barr could get the nomination the answer is the, "Libertarian Reform Caucus."

http://www.reformthelp.org/action.php

To put it simply, these are the folks who don't mind sacrificing the principles of the Libertarian Party to try and get a few more votes. They are the ones behind the LP platform being gutted and the LP no longer being the, "Party of Principle." Their goal is to make the LP a party of compromise which results in neocons like Bob Barr getting nominated.

The fact is that many years ago as a teenager I used to be a neocon. Learning about the LP changed my life. The fact that the LP stood up for things like the total legalization of drugs, the abolishment of the income tax (replacing it with nothing), a non interventionist foreign policy, and minimal constitutional government made me re-think everything I was taught about government. It made me realize people have the right to live their life free from anyone interfering and that includes the government!

Sadly, the LP today is nothing like it was several years ago. The LP no longer is the party that changed my life. Back then the LP stood up about the issues that are most important such as the war on drugs, the income tax, the scam that is social security, victimless crimes, and so fourth. Now they focus on countless issues that are far less important. The front page of their website looks like any other political site on the internet!

I'm very angry at what the "Libertarian Reform Caucus" has done. They have made the LP go from a beacon of freedom and liberty to a compromising political party that is not much different than the GOP. These individuals claim that they want to transform the LP into an organization that can win elections. I say that they have not improved anything AT ALL and in the process of "transformation" the LP has lost it's PRINCIPLES!

A party that is willing to compromise it's values does not deserve to win elections. I think the fact that Bob Barr's campaign has totally COLLAPSED serves the LP right for allowing the "Liberty Reform Caucus" to influence the party.

I don't know what is best for the Libertarian Party at this point, but I know as long as compromisers and pragmatists such as those in the "Libertarian Reform Caucus" are in control the LP is not worth supporting.

To be blunt, it's completely wrong to violate your principles and sugar coat the truth to get votes. However, the current LP has done more than than that. In my opinion the LP has completely lost their focus on freedom and liberty. A quick look at the front page of the LP website makes that clear! I really do think at least some members of the "Liberty Reform Caucus" are trying to sabotage the LP all together.

In my opinion a term used on front page of the Liberty Reform Caucus makes it clear what they think about those who oppose their efforts to reform the LP, keep the platform gutted, and refuse to compromise on issues of freedom and liberty. They call these individuals the, "Radical Anarchist Minority." The fact is these individuals are the ones that made the LP great for so many years!

So if you are upset about Bob Barr then realize that a large part of the blame should be placed on the Libertarian Reform Caucus.

If it were not for them I'm 99.99999% sure that Bob Barr would not have been nominated.

RonpaulSupporter7777
09-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Hey, thanks for the link. This was the first year that I was going to vote Libertarian (Have voted Democrat and Republican in the past.). Barr has ruined all that. I am interested in what the former platform entailed. How can we bring the party back to it's roots?

Menthol Patch
09-12-2008, 02:13 AM
Hey, thanks for the link. This was the first year that I was going to vote Libertarian (Have voted Democrat and Republican in the past.). Barr has ruined all that. I am interested in what the former platform entailed. How can we bring the party back to it's roots?

I don't know how we can bring the party back to it's roots. I just know that as long as the "Liberty Reform Caucus" folks have so much influence the LP will not be worth supporting.

Scotso
09-12-2008, 02:18 AM
It's funny, because these are the people that called the party stubborn and said they needed to branch out to get more votes. I didn't necessarily disagree with that, I do think we need to try to appeal to more people, but certainly not by sacrificing our principles.

But now it's the chosen one of their group, Barr, who is showing how stubborn and self-righteous he is, refusing to work with Dr. Paul to open himself up to people with different ideas and potential voters for the party. Shame.

Menthol Patch
09-12-2008, 02:23 AM
It's funny, because these are the people that called the party stubborn and said they needed to branch out to get more votes. I didn't necessarily disagree with that, I do think we need to try to appeal to more people, but certainly not by sacrificing our principles.

But now it's the chosen one of their group, Barr, who is showing how stubborn and self-righteous he is, refusing to work with Dr. Paul to open himself up to people with different ideas and potential voters for the party. Shame.

I also think we need to appeal to more people, but the LP could have done that without gutting the platform or sacrificing any of it's principles. Now we have a LP that has totally lost focus.