PDA

View Full Version : Buying Silver Eagles

Arklatex
09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Has anyone purchased any silver eagles from Bulliondirect.com?? These are the cheapest prices I've found but they don't list the condition?

Anyone know where you can find the cheapest silver eagles in uncirculated good condition? Rolls would be nice!

slacker921
09-11-2008, 11:01 PM
yes. I got some really nice ones still in the tubes. The last order I picked up some Philharmonics and Maple Leafs and all were really nice.

I've only gotten one gold coin (a $5 eagle) that looked like it'd been handled. Everything else has looked like it came straight out of the mint. But they take whatever they get (it's bullion..) and so you never know.

I'd also add that it's a slow process.. but they haven't let me down.

Arklatex
09-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Mixed dates?

Arklatex
09-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Anyone else, bought any mint rolls of ASE at not much over spot??

I'm headed to a local coin shop later today to see what he has.

Matt Collins
09-12-2008, 11:55 AM
What is the point of buying these?

freelance
09-12-2008, 12:36 PM
What is the point of buying these?

They'll be accepted as currency long after the FNRs are RIPing.

Arklatex
09-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Damn, the lone coin shop in little rock is charging $18 an ASE. Guess that's why he can sell at that price.

Dr.3D
09-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Damn, the lone coin shop in little rock is charging $18 an ASE. Guess that's why he can sell at that price.

Did you ask about bullion? Some ASE's are numismatic grade. You just want silver.

Bruno
09-12-2008, 05:33 PM

wtf? $13.47 here yesterday.

slacker921
09-12-2008, 05:36 PM
They're going for $19 or more with shipping on eBay.. some are just bullion and they're that high.

Matt Collins
09-12-2008, 06:01 PM
They'll be accepted as currency long after the FNRs are RIPing.I think you mean FRN's.

But really the FR isn't going anywhere soon, neither is the dollar. And if the dollar becomes worthless, people won't be trading gold or silver, they'll be trading flour, wheat, oil, vegetables, etc.

Mahkato
09-12-2008, 06:06 PM
I think you mean FRN's.

But really the FR isn't going anywhere soon, neither is the dollar. And if the dollar becomes worthless, people won't be trading gold or silver, they'll be trading flour, wheat, oil, vegetables, etc.

People don't trade gold and silver because they actually have need of the metal. They trade it because it's a compact, portable unit of wealth with a specific value. Also known as money.

Dr.3D
09-12-2008, 06:15 PM
People don't trade gold and silver because they actually have need of the metal. They trade it because it's a compact, portable unit of wealth with a specific value. Also known as money.

Yes, gold and silver are a go between.

For instance, someone might have some flour to trade but is looking for some tomatoes but the person who has the tomatoes doesn't need the flour so the person with the flour trades it for some silver or gold and then goes to the person with the tomatoes and trades some of the silver or gold for the tomatoes.

Silver and gold are a go between barter item. They would be traded with others for items a person needs but doesn't have the item the other person needs at that time.

pacelli
09-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Bullion direct is a reliable provider however they absolutely gouge you on the shipping (and more importantly, the 'handling' fee). So when all is said and done, you end up paying around $19-20 / ounce when their spot price says $12.50.

Thrashertm
09-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Has anyone purchased any silver eagles from Bulliondirect.com?? These are the cheapest prices I've found but they don't list the condition?

Anyone know where you can find the cheapest silver eagles in uncirculated good condition? Rolls would be nice!

This place seems to be the cheapest place to buy silver - just $1 over spot price for coins.
http://bullion.nwtmint.com/

Heard about it from Don Harrold.

I have ordered from Bullion Direct before with good results.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
09-14-2008, 05:37 AM
I bought 4 ASE in Charlotte yesterday for $20 each. Yeah, I know it was a bit high, but I have them in hand. I'm not paying $24 in shipping for something I might receive 5 weeks later, at best.

I made up for the discrepancy later, when I found a bunch of very cheap dimes on E-bay. I'm trying to fill out a Roosevelt collection. Need a few mint marks from the 40's and early 50's.

pacelli
09-14-2008, 10:02 AM
This place seems to be the cheapest place to buy silver - just $1 over spot price for coins.
http://bullion.nwtmint.com/

Heard about it from Don Harrold.

I have ordered from Bullion Direct before with good results.

I have friends who ordered small amounts (less than $100) from Northwest Territorial Mint several months ago and never received their order. Their emails go unanswered and phone calls are a frustrating process of being transferred to voicemails which also go unanswered. Buyer beware.