PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Policy: Afghanistan

Omphfullas Zamboni
09-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi,

As of September 2008, does Congressman Paul favor deploying more troops into Afghanistan? Why or why not? Am I correct in understanding that Mr. Paul voted to authorize military force in Afghanistan shortly after the September 11th attacks? What has changed since then, if anything?

I thank you very much for your input.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

nickcoons
09-12-2008, 10:06 AM
As of September 2008, does Congressman Paul favor deploying more troops into Afghanistan? Why or why not? Am I correct in understanding that Mr. Paul voted to authorize military force in Afghanistan shortly after the September 11th attacks? What has changed since then, if anything?

He voted for the use of force in Afghanistan to go after those that specifically attacked us on 9/11. That's not what the President did, but instead went in to nation-building. Since the military authorization is not being used for its intended purposes, my understanding is that Ron Paul would not be in favor of sending additional troops.

jmdrake
10-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Ron Paul said the authority to invade Afghanistan was "misused". He also criticized Barack Obama for seeking to send more troops to Afghanistan. Based on those two facts I would say he's against further intervention into Afghanistan.

http://www.antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=9672
Obviously, we are not putting forth the full effort required to capture Osama bin Laden. Instead, our occupation of Afghanistan further inflames the Muslim radicals that came of age with their fierce resistance to the Soviet occupation of a Muslim country. Our occupation merely serves as a recruiting device for al-Qaeda, which has promised retaliation for our presence in their country. We learned nothing after first allying ourselves with Osama bin Laden when he applied this same logic toward the Soviets. The net result of our invasion and occupation of Afghanistan has been to miss capturing bin Laden, assist al-Qaeda's recruitment, stimulate more drug production, lose hundreds of American lives, and allow spending billions of American taxpayer dollars with no end in sight.

Call Me V
10-05-2008, 09:13 AM
He voted for going after Bin Laden, not going into Iraq and imperialistic nation building.

itshappening
10-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Senior British commander says Afghan War is unwinnable

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/3139702/War-in-Afghanistan-cannot-be-won-British-commander-Brigadier-Mark-Carleton-Smith-warns.html

Ron Paul right again