PDA

View Full Version : Does government has a duty to...?

Kludge
09-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Curiosity Poll.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
09-11-2008, 03:21 PM
only the second

response, not prevention.

idiom
09-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Wow, people are paying attention in class :)

Kludge
09-11-2008, 03:47 PM
So everyone who voted believes that drunk driving should not be a crime...?

LittleLightShining
09-11-2008, 03:54 PM
So everyone who voted believes that drunk driving should not be a crime...?Technically, no. Not if you can drive according to the laws.

Acala
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Roads should be private, making drunk driving a matter of contract and, assuming the road owner prohibits drunk driving on his road pursuant to contract, trespass for the drunk driver who ignores the contract terms.

UnReconstructed
09-11-2008, 03:59 PM
I don't think they have the legitimate authority to do anything. They only have the authority through force.

Kludge
09-11-2008, 04:00 PM
I don't think they have the legitimate authority to do anything. They only have the authority through force.

Sorry, I should have included that.

tmosley
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't really care what your motivations are, nor what physical state you are in when you get behind the wheel. If you get into an accident, you probably won't be covered by your insurance (who would probably have a no drunk driving clause), and you would be held liable for any harm you did based on community standards (ie would a sober person have been able to avoid that mailbox, etc).

Private roads are stupid. People have a right to move about the country at will.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
09-11-2008, 04:32 PM
So everyone who voted believes that drunk driving should not be a crime...?drunks should be permitted to drive as long as they pull over to the right, slow way down, and turn on their hazard flashers. If they did this now, police would pick up on them immediately. Thus, drunk driving laws encourage drunks to drive at speeds too difficult to handle while inebriated.

UnReconstructed
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Private roads are stupid. People have a right to move about the country at will.

That's not what was meant by privatizing the roads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_market_roads

NaT805
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
None of the above.

Acala
09-11-2008, 04:50 PM

Government roads are leading us directly to National ID. Think about it. Because the government nationalized the roads we all need to use government roads. Because the government controls the roads, the government got away with imposing standards for driving on the roads. To prove you meet the standards, you must have a government-issued driver's license. Otherwise you can't go anywhere. The government-issued drivers license has become the "papers" everyone is expected to have and carry. And it has laid the foundation for the next step of having every person in the country tagged and filed away in a central government database.

Government roads are a tool of tyranny.

Standing Like A Rock
09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Roads should be private, making drunk driving a matter of contract and, assuming the road owner prohibits drunk driving on his road pursuant to contract, trespass for the drunk driver who ignores the contract terms.

B-B-B-Bingo!!

Matt Collins
09-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Government's duty is to secure individual rights and liberties

Standing Like A Rock
09-11-2008, 05:23 PM
who are the dumbasses who voted for 1,3 and 4?

UnReconstructed
09-11-2008, 05:24 PM

How's that working out for you?

Conza88
09-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Who besides Kade, clicked the bottom one? :confused:

"You did not select an option to vote for. Please press back to return to the poll and choose an option before voting."

"recognized rights" - insert right to work. = Fail.

Zolah
09-11-2008, 07:02 PM

Not if you think driving is a priveledge (I do), from what I've seen of car driving in India, we can be thankful that not just anyone can buy a car then buy a driving liscence and ascend to the streets with a 2 ton metal box that can hit 110 mph, having never driven one before..

Right to freedom of movement isn't infringed by not letting you drive without having a liscence (having passed a test), you can still move freely with other means of transports, or feet-power.

I do however support privatisation of the roads, and would accept the laws of the road as dictated by its owners.

Government's duty is to protect the rights of it's citizens anyway.

I cringe when listening to British PM Gordon Brown, he talks a lot about government duties, government's duty to protect the economy, government's duty to fight youth crime, government duty to fight climate change, government duty to fight terrorism and stop it from coming on our soil, government's duty to provide the welfare state for those in need, etc., etc. :(

drew1503
09-11-2008, 07:04 PM
The Second only.

Matt Collins
09-12-2008, 10:18 AM
How's that working out for you?Not very well. But that's because our legislators don't have integrity to their office (neither do our Presidents and our courts for that matter), and the population is mostly apathetic.

Kade
09-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Who besides Kade, clicked the bottom one? :confused:

"You did not select an option to vote for. Please press back to return to the poll and choose an option before voting."

"recognized rights" - insert right to work. = Fail.

I didn't vote asshole.

angelatc
09-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Are you talking about federal government or local government?

brandon
09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Teh guberment can haz a duty

hypnagogue
09-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Teh guberment can haz a duty Dammit that's what I came here to do.

Yeah I couldn't vote either. Option one is obviously a trap.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Curiosity Poll.

Nothing

wizardwatson
09-12-2008, 02:50 PM

Government should be prohibited from infringing on individual rights and liberties, it can't secure its own trousers.

Dr.3D
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Wow, four people actually voted for 'create equality'. Unbelievable!
Either they are joking or ignorant.
Don't they understand where it says, 'all men are created equal'? (I don't want somebody to say 'women are not included' either.) Whenever it says men, it automatically means both genders.

Since all men are created equal, the government wouldn't have to create equality.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Government has a right to nothing. just die

brandon
09-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Don't they understand where it says, 'all men are created equal'? (I don't want somebody to say 'women are not included' either.) Whenever it says men, it automatically means both genders.

Don't tell me you actually believe this.

You're telling me someone born with down syndrome to a poor single mom is equal to someone born with strong genetics, an IQ of 135 and a 10 million dollar trust fund?

We're not born equal, we don't live equal, and we don't die equally. The world's just not a fair place, and no government or poet is going to change that.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-12-2008, 03:08 PM

You're telling me someone born with down syndrome to a poor single mom is equal to someone born with strong genetics, an IQ of 135 and a 10 million dollar trust fund?

We're not born equal, we don't live equal, and we don't die equally. The world's just not a fair place, and no government or poet is going to change that.

They don't have a right to any privileges. No one is entitled to special rights. No one, not even the crippled. People, on here, loathe me for my consistency in regards to libertarianism.

idiom
09-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Equality is a recognized right Dr. 3D? So ppl who violate the right to be treated equally should be punished?

Dr.3D
09-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Equality is a recognized right Dr. 3D? So ppl who violate the right to be treated equally should be punished?

Equality is not a right. It is how you were created.
This was because there were those who thought kings and queens were special and more equal than other people.

Equality is not a recognized right.

Standing Like A Rock
09-12-2008, 03:17 PM
They don't have a right to any privileges. No one is entitled to special rights. No one, not even the crippled. People, on here, loathe me on here for my consistency in regards to libertarianism.

yea, people ARE born with equal opportunity.

Look at Steven Hawking and see what he has been able to accomplish while some people born with millions might just be lazy as hell and never do anything and have an unfulfilled life.

Money and physical ability are always going to be inherently different, however people are born with the equal opportunity to make the best of what they have.

For example. In Texas Hold'em I could be dealt two aces, and you could be dealt 2-7 off suited. We still have the equal opportunity to make the best hand that we can out of those cards. However, it would be wrong to: A) Have the dealer just say, oh, you got 2-7 and he's got aces, you lose, before even letting you play, and B) Having the dealer say, that since I have aces and you have 2-7 that I need to give you one of my aces and you give me one of your cards, just to make it "fair."

Dr.3D
09-12-2008, 03:17 PM

It doesn't matter if you were born with an extra foot or an ear in the middle of your forehead. You should still be considered equal to other people.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Equality is not a right. It is how you were created.
This was because there were those who thought kings and queens were special and more equal than other people.

Equality is not a recognized right.

Everyone exits the pussy as equals. I agree.

the creator = egg + sperm

idiom
09-12-2008, 05:10 PM
yea, people ARE born with equal opportunity.

Look at Steven Hawking and see what he has been able to accomplish while some people born with millions might just be lazy as hell and never do anything and have an unfulfilled life.

Money and physical ability are always going to be inherently different, however people are born with the equal opportunity to make the best of what they have.

For example. In Texas Hold'em I could be dealt two aces, and you could be dealt 2-7 off suited. We still have the equal opportunity to make the best hand that we can out of those cards. However, it would be wrong to: A) Have the dealer just say, oh, you got 2-7 and he's got aces, you lose, before even letting you play, and B) Having the dealer say, that since I have aces and you have 2-7 that I need to give you one of my aces and you give me one of your cards, just to make it "fair."

Lookit McCain, he bluffed the House!