PDA

View Full Version : Please do not blame the LP as a whole for Barr's foolishness....

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
I am a Libertarian candidate for Congress in Michigan's 10th district. And I do not endorse Bob Barr for president. And I am not alone. Many of us in the Libertarian party are not in any way pleased with his nomination, let alone his recent antics. All I ask is that you please not take this man's obvious attempts to take the party with the best third party ballot access down in flames in what many of us believe is an intentional move on his part as an indication that the entire party is a problem. Just as the GOP is not an example of everyone in it, (Dr. Paul being an obvious example) the LP is not well represented by people like Bob Barr, Wayne Allyn Root, or even certain members of our LNC.

Please consider each Libertarian candidate for local office individually. And don't forget that Ron Paul is still a lifetime member of our party. I absolutely understand the ire that Bob Barr has earned, and I join you in that anger. And I am ashamed to say I will not be voting for my own parties candidate either. But there are still many good candidates running for local offices who will need your support in the years to come.

Thank you.

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
Candidate for Congress, Michigan's 10th district.
Http://www.nks2008.com

Menthol Patch
09-11-2008, 02:09 PM
I blame the membership of the LP for letting the neocon lites come in, gut the platform, and take over.

I don't blame the few that have resisted and left the LP like myself.

I left the LP immediately after that plan for Iraq was posted that called for Foreign Aid.

Kludge
09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I blame the membership of the LP for letting the neocon lites come in, gut the platform, and take over.

I left the LP immediately after that plan for Iraq was posted that called for Foreign Aid.

Do you often go off on tirades against people with "Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul" stickers?

I blame everyone for everything wrong!

BarryDonegan
09-11-2008, 02:11 PM

thats how partys get taken over, when the people who are in it, leave when an idealogical plank comes in that they don't like.

Truth Warrior
09-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Why not? They nominated him. :rolleyes: And the "flock" just followed their "shepherd" merrily along. :p

Menthol Patch
Do you often go off on tirades against people with "Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul" stickers?

I blame everyone for everything wrong!

No, I encourage people to vote for Ron Paul.

acptulsa
Thanks for the note, Mr. Stephenson.

It is disgusting when the mop you were hoping to use to clean up the mess turns out to be dirtier than the floor itself. But of course it is no reflection on you, or any other LP candidate. Good luck to you this fall!

Spider-Man
09-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for writing, Neil. I hope your words are well-received.

tonesforjonesbones
09-11-2008, 02:13 PM
The Straussian Trotskyites are very sly, very shrewd and very powerful....REPEL THEM. They slither into everything and CORRUPT IT. We are dealing with LUCIFARIANS here...REPEL THEM. That includes the handlers of the Campaign for Liberty. It's corrupt. TONES

rockandrollsouls
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
I am a Libertarian candidate for Congress in Michigan's 10th district. And I do not endorse Bob Barr for president. And I am not alone. Many of us in the Libertarian party are not in any way pleased with his nomination, let alone his recent antics. All I ask is that you please not take this man's obvious attempts to take the party with the best third party ballot access down in flames in what many of us believe is an intentional move on his part as an indication that the entire party is a problem. Just as the GOP is not an example of everyone in it, (Dr. Paul being an obvious example) the LP is not well represented by people like Bob Barr, Wayne Allyn Root, or even certain members of our LNC.

Please consider each Libertarian candidate for local office individually. And don't forget that Ron Paul is still a lifetime member of our party. I absolutely understand the ire that Bob Barr has earned, and I join you in that anger. And I am ashamed to say I will not be voting for my own parties candidate either. But there are still many good candidates running for local offices who will need your support in the years to come.

Thank you.

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
Candidate for Congress, Michigan's 10th district.
Http://www.nks2008.com

What has he done since being nominated that contradicts the libertarian message? Please, do elaborate, because all I hear is the Anti-Barr people saying he's such a problem when he hasn't done anything wrong yet. Not only that, any candidate does not act on his own, which you seem be missing. The campaigns negotiate with eachother....not candidate to candidate. I'm waiting for someone to provide a good explanation. Since you are running for congress and use that as a platform to put your opinion on a pedestal, flex your muscles and answer my question.

Ninja Homer
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM

If that's how you operate, why are you still in this country?

xtravar
09-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Let's not forget that Ron Paul ran as the Libertarian Party candidate in '88.

This whole attitude of "I don't like X about Y so I'm going to reject everything Y" is unique to our movement, and if we can't get a handle on our emotions then we will never find a party to advance that satisfies our needs. We can subvert the Republicans or Democrats as well, but the LP platform already has most of what we want.

tonesforjonesbones
09-11-2008, 02:17 PM
The earth goes around the sun...the earth goes around the sun.....tones

rockandrollsouls
09-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Let's not forget that Ron Paul ran as the Libertarian Party candidate in '88.

This whole attitude of "I don't like X about Y so I'm going to reject everything Y" is unique to our movement, and if we can't get a handle on our emotions then we will never find a party to advance that satisfies our needs. We can subvert the Republicans or Democrats as well, but the LP platform already has most of what we want.

And, if I recall, Ron was not well received in '88. Similar things were being said...."a republican trying to hijack the party." It's all a bunch of nonsense.

Dorfsmith
09-11-2008, 02:27 PM
I left the Republican party last week and registered Libertarian. I don't plan on switching to anything else anytime soon. I think the Libertarian party has lost it's way but there is still some hope to change it back and there are a lot of old school Libertarians still in it. I worked hard to try to get a Libertarian candidate for mayor elected in my town last year. I know for a fact that there are a lot of good Libertarian candidates out there.

nobody's_hero
09-11-2008, 02:27 PM
I do not intend to hold individual congressional candidates responsible for the actions of their party's presidential candidate. I have not given up on libertarian ideals, but Barr is really pissing me off.

However, I am now giving serious thought to joining the Libertarian party, for the exact reason of ensuring that the likes of Barr never receive the party presidential nomination in the future. I won't stand idly by and watch another party be hijacked by neocons. (I use the term 'neocon' reluctantly, acknowledging the fact that I was once a neocon, and was willing to give Barr the benefit-of-the-doubt. But, to paraphrase Adam Kokesh, Barr's transformation is not complete.)

MelissaWV
09-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I blame the LP's foolishness as a whole for Bob Barr.