PDA

View Full Version : Another nail in Bob Barr's coffin.

VTV
09-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Can be found here: http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2008/09/barr-campaign-manager-bush-showed-incredible-leadership-criticizes-ron-paul-and-followers/

Russ Verney, the campaign manager of the Libertarian Party’s presidential nominee says that President George W. Bush showed “incredible leadership as he stood atop a fire truck amidst the rubble of the twin towers to rally America.”

Verney then compares Bush’s “incredible leadership” to the “leadership” exhibited by Libertarian VP nominee Wayne Allyn Root in offering to illegally step down as Bob Barr’s running mate in deference to Ron Paul.

Yesterday, our vice presidential candidate, Wayne Allyn Root, offered to step aside to allow Congressman Ron Paul an opportunity to serve on the presidential ticket of the Libertarian Party and move the agenda of Liberty forward.

On the surface, a simple offer was extended. In fact it was principled leadership at its finest.

Then Verney goes on to criticize Ron Paul, saying the Campagin for Liberty’s historic announcement yesterday was not about “promoting the liberty agenda; it was about promoting a man.

It became evident to me after meeting with Ron Paul’s staff that this media event was not about promoting the liberty agenda; it was about promoting a man. That’s not what we’re in this for.

After rumors were spread in advance of the news conference that Bob Barr was dropping from the race - just to hype the event - I became even more hesitant to attend. Those tactics were unacceptable and when asked about it, Ron Paul’s staff simply smiled and said it would attract the press.

When I was provided a copy of Ron Paul’s prepared remarks just hours before the start of the planned news conference it became clear to me that the message Ron Paul intended to deliver was essentially to scatter the votes for the liberty agenda to the four winds.

His remarks not only encouraged anyone listening to support any one of four candidates, he also applauded ‘non-voters’. To me encouraging people not to vote is not principled leadership for the Liberty agenda.

I made the decision that attending that news conference was not consistent with Bob Barr’s principled leadership for the Liberty agenda.

Once I informed Ron Paul’s staff of my decision I was rudely informed that my decision would have permanent ramifications, I was personally threatened and Bob Barr was politically threatened. That’s a far cry from principled leadership.

Now, the battle lines have been drawn, says Verney, and those who stand with Paul are “cultists.”

One thing that did occur as a result of yesterday’s events is a clear separation of certain factions. Up until now, we have been dealing with two groups, those who want to advance the issues of liberty and those who have been drawn into a cult of personality.

Add this to the Snubgate archive.

The full text of the message is included below:

Dear Friend,

Before I move forward with an important report for today, I would like to recognize and remember the 2,819 men and women who lost their lives seven years ago. As a result of the attacks of September 11th, Americans came together, setting aside differences in order mourn our shared losses and assist our neighbors in need.

May we never forget . . .

In times of crisis, strength in leadership requires boldness of character, clear direction and firm resolve. As we witnessed after the attacks of September 11th, President George W. Bush showed incredible leadership as he stood atop a fire truck amidst the rubble of the twin towers to rally America.

While the quality of leadership is rare enough, principled leaders are few and far between. Those who do appear to posses the traits necessary to lead, for reasons only known to themselves, frequently choose not to stand on principle.

Yesterday, our vice presidential candidate, Wayne Allyn Root, offered to step aside to allow Congressman Ron Paul an opportunity to serve on the presidential ticket of the Libertarian Party and move the agenda of Liberty forward.

On the surface, a simple offer was extended. In fact it was principled leadership at its finest.

Wayne Allyn Root showed his deep commitment to the principles of our cause. Without hesitation or regard to the effort, time and personal funds he has committed to the issues of freedom, smaller government, less taxes and the Libertarian ticket, Wayne offered to step aside to allow another leader to step up.

I could not be more proud of his actions and selflessness.

As America is hurling towards crisis on many fronts, we need principled leaders like Bob Barr and Wayne Allyn Root. We have no time to waste on anything other than spreading the message of smaller government, less taxes, and more personal freedom issues across this nation.

That brings me to my next point.

Today our campaign is being criticized by a few people for my decision to not attend a press conference sponsored by Ron Paul’s political action committee. I thought I would take a minute to explain to you why I made that decision.

It became evident to me after meeting with Ron Paul’s staff that this media event was not about promoting the liberty agenda; it was about promoting a man. That’s not what we’re in this for.

After rumors were spread in advance of the news conference that Bob Barr was dropping from the race - just to hype the event - I became even more hesitant to attend. Those tactics were unacceptable and when asked about it, Ron Paul’s staff simply smiled and said it would attract the press.

When I was provided a copy of Ron Paul’s prepared remarks just hours before the start of the planned news conference it became clear to me that the message Ron Paul intended to deliver was essentially to scatter the votes for the liberty agenda to the four winds.

His remarks not only encouraged anyone listening to support any one of four candidates, he also applauded ‘non-voters’. To me encouraging people not to vote is not principled leadership for the Liberty agenda.

I made the decision that attending that news conference was not consistent with Bob Barr’s principled leadership for the Liberty agenda.

Once I informed Ron Paul’s staff of my decision I was rudely informed that my decision would have permanent ramifications, I was personally threatened and Bob Barr was politically threatened. That’s a far cry from principled leadership.

One thing that did occur as a result of yesterday’s events is a clear separation of certain factions. Up until now, we have been dealing with two groups, those who want to advance the issues of liberty and those who have been drawn into a cult of personality.

There are those who support a specific politician and then there are those who support the liberty agenda regardless of standard-bearer.

Bob Barr, Wayne Allyn Root and the Libertarian Party stand for the issues of personal freedom and responsible government. As they have proven, both Bob and Wayne are willing to lead or follow for the advancement of our issues.

Now is their time to lead.

As we move into the final 50 days of the campaign we are in place to make a strong impact on the future of our country.

At the end of the day, the number of votes cast in support of the Liberty agenda in the General Election will influence the national political agenda of the next four years.

If we do our jobs, work hard and give us much as possible until Election Day, our voices will be heard and our agenda of smaller government, lower taxes, more personal freedom and government accountability will be on the table for years to come.

I appreciate your commitment and dedication.

Sincerely,

Russ signature

Russell Verney

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

Scotso
09-11-2008, 01:58 PM
It's not surprising. Verney doesn't believe in the libertarian movement. He's a political opportunist for hire.

idiom
09-11-2008, 01:59 PM
http://tanakapowerequipment.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/tia_350s.jpg

BenMuldowney
09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
im glad i dont see verney's face in public or i would spit in it.

hard@work
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
It's like they are trying to lose more votes. Are they seriously a presidential campaign?

I actually laughed at this one, but it does make me sad that the people on that campaign are so naive on how to win votes.

Omphfullas Zamboni
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi,

I don't get it--does the Libertarian Party want to localize how we are stupefied by a cult of personality--or does it want a person's vote?

This is so bizarre. Truly, the Paul/Barr snafu is a Ron Paul Forums, "lipstick gate".

Regards,
Omphfullas Zamboni

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-11-2008, 04:10 PM
I get the impression they don't give a damn about us or libertarians or Constitutionalists. Bashing Ron Paul and praising BUSH in the same statement implies only one thing: they're hoping to achieve support from disgruntled mainstream Republicans. Which is just stupid. In case Barr hasn't heard, a lot of those people were reigned in by Palin's selection and the media lining up another "historic" horse race election.

Bob Barr doesn't need us, and the feeling is mutual. He would rather put pandering to neo-cons by praising that monster in the White House above winning energized Ron Paul supporters who would actually get out and bust their butts for him.