PDA

View Full Version : Ron's decision was the only one he could make.

DRV45N05
09-11-2008, 12:32 AM
As some of you may know, I was quite disappointed that he didn't exclusively endorse Bob Barr, and I was quite the divisive figure in the discussions. However, after much consideration, this is politically by far the best move for Dr. Paul to make, for a number of reasons:

1) Think of the consequence for Ron Paul Republican candidates if he had endorsed Bob Barr, particularly those with primaries still to go: if Dr. Paul had endorsed Barr, then these candidates would have to face dogging from local GOP about whether or not they support McCain or Barr. This will give their political opponents the opportunity to go on the attack in a potentially deadly way. Down here in the 4th District of North Carolina, this would have been fatal for B.J. Lawson's campaign, as local GOP support that we'll need to win (money, infrastructure, etc.) will go away.

The last thing we need to be doing is further inhibiting the chances of our Congressional candidates.

2) He doesn't piss off the GOP, which could then take aim at him. By giving his seal of approval for four different candidates from a variety of backgrounds, he's endorsing candidates who could potentially attract support from each of Obama and McCain, and thus wouldn't be endorsing a candidate who may potentially pull more from McCain than Obama. Barr would probably do this, and this would anger the GOP and its operatives and give them cause for aiming at Dr. Paul. He can't survive an all-out political assault by the GOP right now.

3) He keeps Committee Memberships, including his Ranking Member position on the Financial Services Committee. This is very important, if for no other reason than it gives him access to another public forum through which he can disseminate his libertarian views.

4) The only way that the Libertarian Party is going to advance is if ballot and debate access is made easier. This effort Ron's put together has the potential to do it. This is what makes Bob's decision very short-sighted.

5) Getting as many people as possible thinking about candidates other than conventional Democrats and Republicans will get them thinking unconventionally.

6) It builds a broad coalition around Dr. Paul, which he can use in the future to advance his libertarian agenda in however form he may see fit. (Run in 2012? I wouldn't rule it out.)

Barr should have signed onto this. I still support Barr and will vote for him, but there's indeed a bigger picture than his run this year. His participation would have bolstered this effort, which in turn would have bolstered his own campaign. He's not a "neocon plant," though, so let's let the unfounded conspiracy theories stop. He's just someone with short political sight.